• Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Steam Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Photo
- - - - -

GOT: The Douglas B-19

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#41 Rick65

Rick65

Registered Member

• Regulars
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts
  • Joined 5 Years, 7 Months and 5 Days
  • 1 topics
  • LocationPerth, Western Australia

Posted 19 December 2016 - 01:28 PM

I know this is an old thread but the most interesting aspect of this plane for me is the extended use of the Allison V-3420 engines. As far as I am aware this was the only plane to use these for anything other than short term testing (P-75 etc) but I have never seen any reports on how the engines performed and whether they were  reliable.

#42 GregP

GregP

Forum Guru

• Forum Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,227 posts
  • Joined 13 Years, 10 Months and 26 Days
  • 222 topics

Posted 23 December 2016 - 06:08 AM

I worked with Joe Yancey for 2 years+. He builds Allison for a living. He has 2 V-3420s waiting to be restored and we got many visitors. Some had seen and flown the V-3420 and praised it for being smooth, powerful and relativelt trouble-free.

I fullty realize these were old memories, but apparently the people who flew it liked it as far as anyone would tell us.

I hope Joe really DOES restore a V-3420 for the run stand, but my bet is that may come around when he decides to retire and not before. If he does, it will likely get what parts he considers as good but not really airworthy. He would think like that, correctly so.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users