• Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Steam Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Photo
- - - - -

GOT: The AVRO Tudor 688 - 689

GOTTHREAD

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#11 ChrisMcD

ChrisMcD

• Regulars
  • PipPipPip
  • 884 posts
  • Joined 12 Years, 1 Month and 13 Days
  • 29 topics

Posted 08 January 2006 - 03:52 AM

RT,

Your comment on the Welsh crash triggered my memory!

The 'Urban legend' is that the 'rearward shift in the CG' was caused by a stampede of rugger suporters desperate to have a pee before they landed.

Which is why you now have 'please return to your seats' before landing

#12 PMN1

PMN1

Forum Guru

• Forum Guru
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,197 posts
  • Joined 13 Years, 2 Months and 19 Days
  • 234 topics

Posted 08 January 2006 - 08:02 AM

quote:Originally posted by ChrisMcD

RT,

Your comment on the Welsh crash triggered my memory!

The 'Urban legend' is that the 'rearward shift in the CG' was caused by a stampede of rugger suporters desperate to have a pee before they landed.

Which is why you now have 'please return to your seats' before landing

International Rugby Board (IRB) Rugby World Cup 2003

Following complaints made to the IRB about the All Blacks being allowed to motivate themselves by performing the 'Haka' before their games, other nations were asked to suggest pre-match rituals of their own. The IRB Rugby World Cup 2003 Organising Committee has now agreed to the following pre-match displays:

a.. The England team will chat about the weather, wave hankies in the air and attach bells to their ankles before moaning about how they invented the game and gave it to the world, and how it's not fair that everyone still thinks New Zealand are the best team in the world.

b.. The Scotland team will chant "You lookin' at me Jimmy?" before smashing an Iron Bru bottle over their opponents' heads.

c.. The Ireland team will split into two, with the Southern half performing a Riverdance, while the Northerners march the Traditional route from their dressing room to the pitch, via their opponents dressing room.

d.. Unfortunately the Committee were unable to accept the Welsh suggestion following representations from the RSPCA.

e.. Argentina will unexpectedly invade a small part of opposition territory, claim it as their own "Las In-Goals-Areas" and then be forcibly removed by the match stewards.

f.. Two members of the South African team will claim to be more important than the other 13 whom they will imprison between the posts whilst they claim the rest of the pitch for themselves.

g.. The Americans will not attend until almost full time. In future years they will amend the records to show that they were in fact the most important team in the tournament and Hollywood will make a film called 'Saving No.8 Lyle'.

h.. Five of the Canadian team will sing La Marseillaise and hold the rest of the team to ransom.

i.. The Italian team will arrive in Armani gear, sexually harass the female stewards and then run away.

j..The Spanish will sneak into the other half of the pitch, mow it and then claim that it was all in line with European "grass quotas". They will then curl up under the posts and have a kip until half time, when their appeal for compensation against the UK Government will be heard.

k.. The Japanese will attempt to strengthen their team by offering good salaries to the key opposition players and then run around the pitch at high speed in a highly efficient manner before buying the ground (with a subsidy from the UK Government).

l.. The French will declare they have new scientific evidence that the opposition are in fact all mad. They will then park lorries across the halfway line, let sheep loose in the opposition half (much to the delight of Wales!) and burn the officials.

m.. The Australians will have a barbie before negotiating lucrative singing and TV contracts in the UK. They will then invite all their mates to come and live with them in Shepherds Bush

#13 PMN1

PMN1

Forum Guru

• Forum Guru
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,197 posts
  • 234 topics

Posted 08 January 2006 - 08:04 AM

Hi RT,

Eric Brown again!! He flew just about every German and British aircraft of the period and left good notes on most. Are you after any others??

Now about Pegasus????

:D

#14 Romantic Technofreak

Romantic Technofreak

GOT Custodian

• Forum Guru
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,976 posts
  • Joined 13 Years, 5 Months and 24 Days
  • 288 topics

Posted 09 January 2006 - 12:31 AM

Hi friends!

quote:Originally posted by ChrisMcD:
Eric Brown again!! He flew just about every German and British aircraft of the period and left good notes on most. Are you after any others??

Captain Eric "Winkle" Brown is well known to me. I have an article from him about British flying wings, and he often appears in literature. For our purposes, I have to say: new theme - new topic. If you think something about him is worth a discussion, you should open a new thread! :)

quote:Originally posted by ChrisMcD:
Am working on Bv 138 info - have U boat photos and am looking for details of base on Novoya Zemyla - do you have any leads?

This time you trigger my memory! There was such an action - if I remember correctly, the BV 138 was supposed to fly reconoissance for the pocket battleship Admiral Scheer, and both the flying boat and the submarine could be beached on the flat strands of Novaya Zemlya (unlike in Greenland, although within bays there also maybe shallow waters) for to perform the refuelling action. Should we go on with this theme (also worth a topic of its own!)?

quote:Originally posted by PMN1:
Now about Pegasus???? :D

You are right, this old aircraft is missing on Greg's list, and flight performances and charateristics won't be easily possible to retrieve. Anyway, pictures can be provided. Although our thematics are very much male-dominated, Pegasus shows a strong affinity towards girls:

371ae6d0.jpg

3fa709db.jpg

48152920.jpg

Sorry, just couldn't resist! :D

Enjoy, and regards,
RT

#15 PMN1

PMN1

Forum Guru

• Forum Guru
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,197 posts
  • 234 topics

Posted 14 September 2006 - 03:57 AM

Presumably the Tudor (the later versions at least) and the Hermes/Hastings would have suffered due to the large number of war surplass C54 available but given a level playing field (on initial buying costs) how would the Tudor and the Hermes/Hastings compare to the DC-4/C54 on operating costs?

#16 ChrisMcD

ChrisMcD

• Regulars
  • PipPipPip
  • 884 posts
  • 29 topics

Posted 14 September 2006 - 04:07 AM

AFAIK Rolls spent a huge amount of time developing civil versions of the Merling for the Canadair Argonaout (DC 4/5 hybrid), but it was not economicaly competitive.

Posted Image

#17 ChrisMcD

ChrisMcD

• Regulars
  • PipPipPip
  • 884 posts
  • 29 topics

Posted 14 September 2006 - 04:09 AM

Sorry pressed wrong button!

To conclude, I do not think that Merlin engined aircraft were competive as transports with American radials.

#18 PMN1

PMN1

Forum Guru

• Forum Guru
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,197 posts
  • 234 topics

Posted 14 September 2006 - 04:20 AM

Sorry pressed wrong button!

To conclude, I do not think that Merlin engined aircraft were competive as transports with American radials.

Yes someone else I have spoken to has said you rarely see Merlin powered transport designs.

The Hercules powered Hermes/Hastings are another matter though, the sleeve valves with their reduced maintenance could have been a winner if the jet engine hadn't come along.

#19 Romantic Technofreak

Romantic Technofreak

GOT Custodian

• Forum Guru
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,976 posts
  • 288 topics

Posted 04 August 2013 - 01:08 PM

The end section had to be separated because of picture limitation (08/04/2013).

The series continues with Arab digits only.

Tudor 8

This was the second prototype Tudor I, rebuilt to Tudor 4 standard and fitted with four 5.000 lb thrust Rolls-Royce Nene turbojets. It exchanged its civil registration G-AGST for military service serial VX195, made its first flight on September 6th, 1948, and was used for high-altitude studies before being broken up at Farnborough in 1951.
TB11.jpg

Tudor 9

As results of tests with the Tudor 8, the Ministry of Supply ordered six Tudor 9s, based on the Tudor II but with four Rolls-Royce Nenes and nosewheel undercarriages. The original design was modified and the type then prodced as AVRO 706 Ashton. The first example flew on September 1st, 1950, and the type remained in service for several years. But as this aircraft is neither an AVRO 688 nor a 689, this is a different story.

A table of all Tudors:

TB12.jpg

An overview about measures and performances of all Tudor versions:

TB13.jpg

Lastly, a painting by Keith Woodcock, showing Star Tiger (probably intended to be on her last take-off) heading into heavy weather:
TB14.jpg

Hope you enjoyed this, and regards,
RT

#20 Romantic Technofreak

Romantic Technofreak

GOT Custodian

• Forum Guru
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,976 posts
  • 288 topics

Posted 23 May 2016 - 02:21 PM

I didn't learn much about Air Marshal Coningham from Curmudgeon's hint but that he was on board of Avro Tudor "Star Tiger" when it disappeared in the Bermuda Triangle. The argument, Air Marshal Coningham is still alive and "Star Tiger" keeps on flying in a different dimension is anticipated and there is no need to especially express it.

Regards, RT

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: GOTTHREAD

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users