• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Joined 25 Days
  • 2 topics
  • LocationFirebase Ladybird

Posted 26 March 2018 - 07:37 PM

Howdy Fellas,

my original account was Che_Guevara, which is quite a shame, havent locked in since 2012 or smt like that. I tried to recover my beloved old account, but since the usual suspects werent accepted as passwords and my old yahoo account has reached nirvana I ve had to create a new account. Named in honor of my favorite plane ;) although it is struggeling with the Hawker Sea Fury hehe.

Ja, shit, so hello again, maybe Romantic Technofreak, Ricky, DoubleT and all the other great lads will remember me from tgplanes.com times lol.

Cheers from Germany

Kai aka Che aka Skyraider87

• DoubleT likes this

#2 DoubleT

DoubleT

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • Joined 25 Days
  • 1 topics

Posted 26 March 2018 - 08:36 PM

Hello Kai--long time!

I had to re-register as well... but I was able to re-use my old 'handle' of DoubleT.

Much has changed... I retired in Oct '16. I've been busy hunting and fishing ever since. New pup... a yellow lab named Ethyl. Heck, she's 4 years old already. We had a good duck season and I had the best fishing tan I've had in YEARS. I even bought an angling kayak for when I'm fishing solo... and working a #5 fly rod on big bluegill and bass.

I've been modeling up a storm as well. Since pup no longer needs my constant attention I was able to get back to some projects started and unfinished. First was an SAS 'Jeep" in North Africa... armed to the teeth with Vickers K guns and a .50 caliber.

Next came a Revell 1/32 Huey UH-1D gunship with rockets and flex-guns. Then followed by another UH-1D--this one a 'Slick' in 1/35 by Dragon. (Highly sought) After that, I reworked a 1/32 OH-1 "Loach" by removing doors, accurizing and adding crew-member with M-60 and a pilot with sunglasses. Some of my best work ever...

Now I'm 'repairing' a Monogram F-105D Thunderchief that dove off the shelf during a home remodel. I'm redoing it as a "flyer" so it will hang from the ceiling. At the same time, I'm working on a kit that I dreamed of building for decades. Yep, a Monogram 1/48 scale Convair B-58 Hustler. If I can just pull this off it will be something spectacular. 'Hustlers were based at only a precious few bases in the USA. One of those was Bunker Hill AFB... Indiana. I can still remember seeing the B-58s in the air over my hometown... looking like an arrow-tip with 4 contrails. It has been a problematic build but I am determined to see it through. Upper/lower fuselage has a terrible fit... same with pylons for J-79 engines. Lot's filler and sanding and a natural metal finish... whew. It's testing my  skills and talent as a modeler. I'm hopeful the result will be something I'm proud of.

I've got another 30 model kits I've stashed for retirement. And no place to display them if I actually DO get around to building them all. Life is good.

'Hope everyone is well... good to be back and thinking of  classic aircraft and old friends.

--Tim

• CORSNING and Skyraider87 like this

#3 Armand

Armand

About the same age as another old Fokker: The F-27

• Forum Guru
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,746 posts
  • Joined 4 Years, 3 Months and 1 Day
  • 117 topics
  • LocationAbout 20 nm east of BLL

Posted 26 March 2018 - 11:15 PM

Palio have been helpfull on mail when i lately lost contact with log-in. If you mail him (or uses this new membership to intern contact) he might be able to provide You a new log-in :-/

#4 DoubleT

DoubleT

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • Joined 25 Days
  • 1 topics

Posted 26 March 2018 - 11:39 PM

Kinda comical seeing me listed as a newbie on this website. I've made more than a few posts here over the years... I tried and tried to simply reset my password. To no avail.

I guess we'll just start over then eh?

--Tim

• Skyraider87 likes this

#5 Armand

Armand

About the same age as another old Fokker: The F-27

• Forum Guru
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,746 posts
  • Joined 4 Years, 3 Months and 1 Day
  • 117 topics
  • LocationAbout 20 nm east of BLL

Posted 27 March 2018 - 03:17 AM

Chose the message envelope-icon above and start writing Paolo in the reciepient box, and it will auto-fill his name, whereafter you can adress Your trouble to him!

#6 Skyraider87

Skyraider87

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Joined 25 Days
  • 2 topics
  • LocationFirebase Ladybird

Posted 27 March 2018 - 02:00 PM

Hey Armand,

thank you for your support!

Kinda comical seeing me listed as a newbie on this website. I've made more than a few posts here over the years... I tried and tried to simply reset my password. To no avail.

I guess we'll just start over then eh?

--Tim

haha, well said Tim, i had exactly the same feeling about being a "Newbie" and had the problem with reseting the password :) Good to see you back as well good sir. I hope you enjoy your retirement Tim and that you have enough time for producing your awesome kits. Still remember the B-29 Raz´n Hell and the story behind it. I saved the pictures from my old laptop and have the picture of the crew member sitting in front of the B-29 still on file :) Btw, I ve found this one just now, the database in the internet is growing, crazy.

f898841972348d3540d646960e6eeffb.jpg

https://seeksghosts....-29-bomber.html

Your F-105D Thunderchief is then in 1/48, ja? Wow, combined with a 1/48 B-58 that must be one view. Some time ago I was about to buy the F-105G "Wild Weasel" from Revell, also in 1/48, but didnt make it nah, but the F-105 is one real beauty. The 60s had the best music and the most beautiful planes imho hehe. But to see the B-58 flying by, hearing the sound of the engines is something I envy you for (in a good way^^)

I have been to Chicago end of 2014, but just for some hours coming from Frankfurt and getting a flight to Houston, but that one was the closest I have came to Indiana, Tim, so next time I will be in the US it will hopefully be close to Indiana and we can have finally a beer :)

Regards,

Che

#7 Romantic Technofreak

Romantic Technofreak

GOT Custodian

• Forum Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,087 posts
  • Joined 14 Years, 5 Months and 13 Days
  • 301 topics

Posted 27 March 2018 - 05:44 PM

Hi Kai and Tim,

nice to see you old friends back here!!

Just wanted to say that. :)

Best regards, RT

#8 DoubleT

DoubleT

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • Joined 25 Days
  • 1 topics

Posted 27 March 2018 - 08:10 PM

Hello RT--sorry to have been away for so long, but good to be back.

I hope GregP and Lightning are still around... and I'll be sure to jump in when I think I have something to contribute.

Best regards...

--Tim

#9 DoubleT

DoubleT

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • Joined 25 Days
  • 1 topics

Posted 27 March 2018 - 08:20 PM

Hey Armand,

thank you for your support!

haha, well said Tim, i had exactly the same feeling about being a "Newbie" and had the problem with reseting the password :) Good to see you back as well good sir. I hope you enjoy your retirement Tim and that you have enough time for producing your awesome kits. Still remember the B-29 Raz´n Hell and the story behind it. I saved the pictures from my old laptop and have the picture of the crew member sitting in front of the B-29 still on file :) Btw, I ve found this one just now, the database in the internet is growing, crazy.

f898841972348d3540d646960e6eeffb.jpg

https://seeksghosts....-29-bomber.html

Your F-105D Thunderchief is then in 1/48, ja? Wow, combined with a 1/48 B-58 that must be one view. Some time ago I was about to buy the F-105G "Wild Weasel" from Revell, also in 1/48, but didnt make it nah, but the F-105 is one real beauty. The 60s had the best music and the most beautiful planes imho hehe. But to see the B-58 flying by, hearing the sound of the engines is something I envy you for (in a good way^^)

I have been to Chicago end of 2014, but just for some hours coming from Frankfurt and getting a flight to Houston, but that one was the closest I have came to Indiana, Tim, so next time I will be in the US it will hopefully be close to Indiana and we can have finally a beer :)

Regards,

Che

Che:

I don't think I ever shared the rest of the story of "Raz 'N Hell" with you. Some years after the thread here @ TGPlanes... I got an e-mail from Hugh "Lon" Chaney who told me he put many of the bomb stencils (missions flown) as bombardier of "Raz 'N Hell." He went so far as to send me a collection of photos and a sheet with captions that were simply incredible. He took in-flight photos from the nose station and showed raids in progress over North Korea. Shots of him dressed in all the gear ready for a combat mission... and more importantly how this particular B-29 got it's name.

It was one of a few aircraft modified to carry the "Razon" bomb-- an early radio-controlled bomb--and so the Raz 'N in it's name refers to it's origins with the Razon bomb. I have some correspondence/insights shared by Mr. Chaney... if I can find them in my e-mail folder, I'll post them up here.

--Tim

• Skyraider87 likes this

#10 DoubleT

DoubleT

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • Joined 25 Days
  • 1 topics

Posted 27 March 2018 - 08:43 PM

Here was the original e-mail message I received 08/09/2013 from Mr. Hugh Chaney:

Tim,
Thanks for your quick response, so I will get busy with some background. I am well acquainted with the bird in your message; RAZ 'N HELL First let me give you some background on my career. I was a dual rated officer i.e. pilot and bombardier. I was happy as a pig in clover in 1950. I was stationed on Okinawa flying C-54's back and forth from Oki to Japan hauling food supplies etc. In late June my squadron commander called me in and said "Chaney you are now a bombardier in the 19th BG" ( they were called groups then)

I was assigned to a crew commanded by Lt Dan Henshaw and the bird was THAT'S IT. I was a pretty hot bombardier and a short time later I was assigned to a lead crew commanded by Capt. David A. Austin. I completed 69 missions and was rotated home. Rotation was done individually then as opposed to the complete crew system in Europe in WWII.

Eglin Test Center had been experimenting with controlled bombs called RAZON because they were radio controlled in both range and azimuth by looking through the bombsight..That is how the name RAZON HELL came about. My crew was selected to try then out. A Eglin engineer flew with us and documented the results which weren't all that favorable. I did fly one of them into the end of a mountain tunnel and have strike photos to prove it. RAZON bombs were written off and before long we were selected to drop the TARZON. That was a 12000 pound mutha designed to knock down a bridge from a half mile away. We made a drop on the bridge between China and  Korea near Pyongyang. We were at a disadvantage because we had to approach the bridge at a 90 degree angle which makes for damn little error.

We were not allowed to overfly China. The ideal angle to attack a bridge is at a 33 degree angle which allows for more error in aiming. Another crew was selected to drop the TARZON and on a mission with the crew commanded by the group commander; Col Payne Jennings. The bomb would not release over the target so the Col decided to fly it back to Oki. This was a disastrous decision because on the way back the ship was using so much fuel hauling an extra 12000 pounds they crashed in the ocean an even though every bird  was ordered to fly low and search for survivors. Not one piece of debris was found.

You can see by the bombs painted on the nose we were hit by flak and fighters fighters several times. That MIG was one piece of flying perfection piloted by Russian pilots. On one mission a sizeable piece of flak penetrated the pilots sliding  window and hit the co-pilot. He was bleeding pretty good and I was elected to be his doctor. I got out the medical kit stopped the bleeding and gave him a shot or morphine. He doesn't remember much after that.

I had to open one part of the survival kit and discovered that the gold coins supposed to be used for barter if you were shot down were missing. Subsequent investigation proved someone had stolen the coins from every kit. Upon arrival at Oki a gunner got to shoot off the red flare (wounded on board) and did that ever alert all the emergency crews and equipment. I am pleased to report my patient survived and lived to fly again.

I was surprised at the technical information about the B-29 props.  All I knew I  hated to push those blades through several times before boarding and starting the engines , never did ask why just Yes Sir git er done.

'Guess I have rambled on enough so will mail this.  At my age I am prone to typing errors so please overlook them.

Sincerely, 
Hugh

• CORSNING likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users