Photo
- - - - -

WW2 Japanese fighter plane compass?

Best Answer bearoutwest , 20 March 2018 - 12:35 AM

Looks like a console mounted compass for a twin-engine bomber (mounted above the instrument console between the two pilots).

Go to this website (full of beaut aviation archeology documents):

https://aeroantique....pages/downloads

Drop down about 2/3 down the page, and select the "Japanese Cockpit Interiors Part 1" tab.  About 3 pages into the Monogram book, in the photo of the Ki-21 Sally bomber, appears - what looks very much like - your Dad's/Grandad's treasure.  I think the fighter compasses were mounted in the control panel without the stand being visible.

...geoff

PS. My sympathies on the recent passing of your Dad.

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 NWHeather

NWHeather

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Joined 1 Month and 1 Day
  • 1 topics

Posted 19 March 2018 - 02:15 PM

That's the closest will can come up with on this. We found it recently after my dad passed away. I'm pretty sure it was my grandpa's, he was a fighter pilot.

Attached Files

#2 bearoutwest

bearoutwest

• Regulars
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts
  • Joined 13 Years, 2 Months and 29 Days
  • 3 topics

Posted 20 March 2018 - 12:35 AM   Best Answer

Looks like a console mounted compass for a twin-engine bomber (mounted above the instrument console between the two pilots).

Go to this website (full of beaut aviation archeology documents):

https://aeroantique....pages/downloads

Drop down about 2/3 down the page, and select the "Japanese Cockpit Interiors Part 1" tab.  About 3 pages into the Monogram book, in the photo of the Ki-21 Sally bomber, appears - what looks very much like - your Dad's/Grandad's treasure.  I think the fighter compasses were mounted in the control panel without the stand being visible.

...geoff

PS. My sympathies on the recent passing of your Dad.

Edited by bearoutwest, 20 March 2018 - 12:36 AM.

#3 Ricky

Ricky

• Moderators
  • 3,022 posts
  • Joined 15 Years, 2 Months and 2 Days
  • 139 topics

Posted 20 March 2018 - 05:43 PM

I've just had a browse through both the Japanese Interiors links on that site (excellent find bear!) and there are a couple of other shots of the Sally in Part 2 complete with compass. It looks like the only aircraft in those books that had this particular compass - maybe it was unique to this aeroplane?

#4 bearoutwest

bearoutwest

• Regulars
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts
  • Joined 13 Years, 2 Months and 29 Days
  • 3 topics

Posted 21 March 2018 - 01:44 AM

What would be useful is if @NWHeather would tell us a bit more about her(?) Grandad - what squadron he was in, where he served, etc?  That would narrow down the operational areas where he would have encountered Japanese aircraft (from which to obtain treasure item).  Knowing the squadron, allows a search of the operational areas; ditto if we know where he was based.  

My (very general) rule of thumb has been:
- unlikely to be single engine fighter compass, if mounted above instrument panel (gets in the way of gunsight and forward vision);
- unlikely to be in aircraft with fixed fuselage heavy calibre cannon (vibrations when firing armament would send compass spinning wildly, the compass support doesn't seem to have much room for rubber - or similar - vibration damping);
- unlikely to be mounted in instrument panel - as is - because of the extended support in front of the glass (eliminates the H8K Emily and the G3M, which have instrument panel compasses). (Actually, most Japanese Ac - that I have seen interior pictures of - have instrument panel compasses!).

The Ki-67 Peggy, had an instrument on the top of the panel - but framing was much more "box-like" and the photos too indistinct to tell if it was a compass.
The Ki-48 Lily, had a similar square-frame compass mounting in the centre top of the instrument panel.  (Similar to the Ki-67, that is.)

...Later:  (Just reminded by seeing Jeff's last post on the Ki-46.)  The Ki-46 also had a top of panel mounted compass, but again, a square-ish (well not round anyway) frame style in appearance.

https://i.pinimg.com...1522e70f3f6.jpg

My not-very-exhaustive search, thus far, only shows the Ki-21 Sally as a potential source of the compass.  So China-Burma-India, New Guinea (perhaps), Philippines, Okinawa, Home Islands?  There was a suicide commando raid on the US airbases on Okinawa.  The Japanese commandos were flown in on Ki-21 transports.  Only one survived to crashland on the airstrip - but the photos show it in a good condition.  Perhaps this is the compass from that aircraft.  
http://specialoperat...yontan-okinawa/

(I know, just having fun with conjecture....but would be freakishly hilarious if it turns out to be the case!)
...geoff

PS. How do you inbed photos in these threads?

Edited by bearoutwest, 21 March 2018 - 01:52 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users