• Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Steam Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Photo
- - - - -

Telephone scams

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Kutscha

Kutscha

Forum Guru

• Forum Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,588 posts
  • Joined 12 Years, 11 Months and 12 Days
  • 118 topics

Posted 29 November 2017 - 04:57 PM

Over the years have gotten phone calls from someone claiming to be from Windows Support. In the last week or so have received at least a dozen calls. One day there was 4 calls.

They just don't get the message that I won't be suckered - told them what to do, insulted their mother, wife, sister and them but still keep trying.

Next time they call will answer: Toronto Police, Fraud squad. How may I help you?

• CORSNING likes this

#2 CORSNING

CORSNING

Forum Guru

• Forum Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,664 posts
  • Joined 4 Years, 4 Months and 24 Days
  • 187 topics
  • LocationClyde, Ohio, USA

Posted 29 November 2017 - 06:50 PM

About 20+ years ago now, I got a call from some place that water proofed basements.

I remember that I was in a good mood (I was probably on my 4th beer). Well, our

basement had a floor drain that was tied into the city drainage system so I wasn't too

worried about water damage. But I had nothing else to do so I decided to have some

fun. I told the fellow on the phone that I didn't need water proofing at the time but my

chimney could use some masonry work done on it. He said they didn't do that. So

then I told him that the roof wasn't in that great a shape and would he like to come

out and give me an estimate on new shingles. He said they didn't do that. So I ask

him if his company could do anything about the dead tree in the front yard that was

rotting and about to fall. He said he couldn't do anything for that either. So then I

enquired about having new windows installed....That's right, His company didn't do

windows. I kept him on the phone for some 20-30 minutes just explaining all the

things that our house needed at the time. I could now here in his voice that he was

becoming impatient with all my questions and the fact that I would ask him to

excuse me for a few seconds from time to time (to take a sip of beer). 

Well, I finally thanked him for calling me with his original offer to send someone

out to give me a water proofing quote and told him to hang onto my number in case

his place of business ever expands into the other areas of home improvement I

had mentioned. I then hung up abruptly. :)

After all these years I wonder if he will call back? I have moved to a new house

now. The windows are OK. I put a new roof on and had the chimney painted last

year. The dead tree out front was cut down two years ago and we now live on a

cement slab........ I guess it is best he doesn't call. I don't drink beer on a daily basis

anymore and my tolerance for stupid is gone. I'd probably just hang up without saying

a word. :huh:

#3 Romantic Technofreak

Romantic Technofreak

GOT Custodian

• Forum Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts
  • Joined 14 Years, 1 Month and 6 Days
  • 298 topics

Posted 29 November 2017 - 07:20 PM

Jeff, that guy tried to call you because his business now does windows. I mean, Windows Support. But he got your number wrong and unintentionally reached Kutscha...

Kutscha, I received such phishing calls too about a year ago. At the fourth time or so, I answered to the question "Do you have a computer?" with "No." Never again I got such a call.

Regards, RT

#4 CORSNING

CORSNING

Forum Guru

• Forum Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,664 posts
  • Joined 4 Years, 4 Months and 24 Days
  • 187 topics
  • LocationClyde, Ohio, USA

Posted 29 November 2017 - 07:50 PM

Great idea RT. Kutscha, the next time that dweeb calls you just tell him you don't have any windows.

:P  :P  :P :rolleyes:  

#5 Kutscha

Kutscha

Forum Guru

• Forum Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,588 posts
  • 118 topics

Posted 29 November 2017 - 11:59 PM

Oh for one of the calls I did say I didn't have a computer. They did call back a few more times.

Shortly after posting got a call, didn't make it in time and the answering service kicked in (which does work - loud howling noise), picked up the phone and used the police line. They hung up immediately. :)

RT, what accent does the phisher have - mine is Indian sub-continent.

#6 Romantic Technofreak

Romantic Technofreak

GOT Custodian

• Forum Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts
  • Joined 14 Years, 1 Month and 6 Days
  • 298 topics

Posted 30 November 2017 - 07:11 AM

RT, what accent does the phisher have - mine is Indian sub-continent.

I mean Chinese (mostly young females, I say they could have something better to do...). The calls came from the UK, probably from London.

Regards, RT

#7 flying kiwi

flying kiwi

• Regulars
  • PipPipPip
  • 688 posts
  • Joined 7 Years, 10 Months and 26 Days
  • 5 topics

Posted 30 November 2017 - 08:55 AM

We got them with Indian accents here. I ask them which crime they wish to report, since they have reached the international fraud department of the local police. Haven't had one for a while.

#8 Ricky

Ricky

• Moderators
  • 2,988 posts
  • Joined 14 Years, 9 Months and 23 Days
  • 138 topics

Posted 30 November 2017 - 12:49 PM

The main nuisance in the UK is 'i understand you have been in a road traffic accident'. I find that asking who told them that results in a sudden loss of connection

#9 Kutscha

Kutscha

Forum Guru

• Forum Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,588 posts
  • 118 topics

Posted 30 November 2017 - 01:03 PM

I mean Chinese (mostly young females, I say they could have something better to do...). The calls came from the UK, probably from London.

Regards, RT

Not necessarily RT. One I had said she was calling from California, but the area code on Call Display said she was calling from a rinky dinky little town in Ohio. Another time, Call Display said Florida. Talked to my nephew, who is a cop, and he said they use numbers that they high jack.. The calls originate in the Indian sub-continent.

Another ruse they like to use is they are calling from Revenue Canada with a problem with ones tax return. This is real easy to catch as it is now called the Canada Revenue Agency and the area code is not in Canada.

#10 Paolo Tagliaferri

Paolo Tagliaferri

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 549 posts
  • Joined 16 Years, 4 Months and 19 Days
  • 142 topics
  • LocationLondon, UK

Posted 30 November 2017 - 08:18 PM

The main nuisance in the UK is 'i understand you have been in a road traffic accident'. I find that asking who told them that results in a sudden loss of connection

LOL - can confirm, a couple of swear words in Italian also have the same effect ;)

Paolo Tagliaferri

Board Administrator

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users