• Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Steam Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Photo
- - - - -

H75-C1 Hawk

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 petertohen

petertohen

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Joined 16 Days
  • 1 topics

Posted 06 October 2017 - 11:13 AM

I've always liked the look of the H 75. Sometimes I wonder how close it could have been to an early Fw 190 with just a few improvements. It obviously needed a few more horsepower, and finding a radial with the required power at a reasonable weight may have been a problem. The Gnome-Rhone 14R-4 as fitted in the MB 157 may have been a possibility, with the R 1830 often being used to replace the Gnome-Rhone 14N. 

There are reports from pilots who flew both the Hawk and the Hurricane that they preferred the Hawk, while some claimed it to have better flying qualities than the early Spitfires above 300 mph, except at high altitudes. 

As history actually happened, we saw this develop into the P 40, which led indirectly to the Mustang, while USAAF radials culminated in the Thunderbolt. A more successful Hawk may have seen these delayed, and while extra numbers may have been available for the Battle of Britain, I understand that there were more than enough Spitfires and Hurricanes for the number of trained pilots anyway.

• flying kiwi likes this

#2 GregP

GregP

Forum Guru

• Forum Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,283 posts
  • Joined 14 Years, 1 Month and 21 Days
  • 224 topics

Posted 06 October 2017 - 07:18 PM

I am a volunteer at the Planes of Fame. We have several members there whose father who flew both the Hawk and the P-40. All of them, to a man, say their fathers preferred the radial Hawk to the inline P-40.

We saw how greatly the basic P-40 could be improved with the XP-40Q-1, 2, and 3. That aircraft would give a P-51 all it could handle at any altitude up to about 30,000 feet. I'd bet a radically-improved Hawk could have been produced, but it would take approvals to proceed. It never got that, but the potential is there.

Here is Steve Hinton flying a P-36C built at Chino for Steven Gray in the UK:

https://www.youtube....h?v=fg_qy4hHHJE

Nice airplane! The other silver plane flying with it is out Seversky AT-12 Guardsman. Flies quite well! So, you have a Seversky AT-12, a P-36C, a P-38J, and a P-47G in formation.

#3 flying kiwi

flying kiwi

• Regulars
  • PipPipPip
  • 681 posts
  • Joined 7 Years, 9 Months and 4 Days
  • 5 topics

Posted 06 October 2017 - 09:25 PM

The Hawk was only about 2/3 of the weight of the Fw 190A, and with about 60% of the horsepower. It had a larger wing, and hence a much lower wing loading. It may not have needed a huge amount of extra power to perform like the Fw190. I think the engine installation was probably almost as efficient, but am not sure about the respective airfoils. The idea of keeping it as a radial has always appealed to me as well, on purely aesthetic grounds. 

The R-2000, with up to 1,450 hp, had the same stroke as the R-1830 and so was probably about the same diameter. This may have been a good fit, but I suspect a new wing would also have been needed, with a thinner airfoil. I think the Hawks stored their fuel in the fuselage (not sure), so this may not have been a problem. 

In the end, it may have been as good, or slightly better, than the P-40, but there were others that were already better.

• GregP likes this

#4 Kutscha

Kutscha

Forum Guru

• Forum Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts
  • Joined 12 Years, 9 Months and 21 Days
  • 117 topics

Posted 06 October 2017 - 10:53 PM

fuel tank behind the pilot

p36cutaway.jpg