• Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Steam Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Photo
- - - - -

Amount of aircrew of the 8th airforce in the ETO

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Armand

Armand

About the same age as another old Fokker: The F-27

• Forum Guru
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,592 posts
  • Joined 3 Years, 7 Months and 1 Day
  • 108 topics
  • LocationAbout 20 nm east of BLL

Posted 05 August 2017 - 10:29 AM

To compleate on this posting:

#19:
The second world war was 'the great patriotic war" for the Soviet's. The naming reasons mainly in the the sacrifices of the civilian population. The statistics mention that of all male born in 1923 did only 20% survive the war :-o
This stands hard in the light of similar stastitic of RAF bomber crews, of wich 40% of all enlisted men during the war survived!
For the German U-boot crew became the stastistic 25%.
It was with other words twice as deadly to be a boy born in the 1923-Soviet as flying a RAF bomber throughout the entire war and even deadlier than being a German submarine crew :-o
[the submarine detail added later]

The numbers of the 8th airforce would be interresting to get into comparison.
However i've only been able to surf up the number of losses, being more than 26,000 sacrifies, wich ought to be compared to the total of flying crew to find it's place between the other percentages.
I've found the losses of heavy bombers for the entire ETO (@ 8th and 9th) wich would likely be fine for the comparison. But likely not without the total number of crews involved to create a percentage.

Does anyone here have access to the numbers or simply is a better (read: more persistant!) web-surfer than me?
As the American sacrifices above Europe certainly deserves to be mentioned beside the other percentages, it would be nice If any could help with the numbers!

Edited by Armand, 05 August 2017 - 10:34 AM.

#2 Kutscha

Kutscha

Forum Guru

• Forum Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,548 posts
  • Joined 12 Years, 7 Months and 19 Days
  • 116 topics

Posted 05 August 2017 - 11:20 AM

Armand, http://www.dtic.mil/.../u2/a542518.pdf

You didn't ask for but as a bonus, US Navy, https://www.history....graphs/nasc.pdf

#3 Armand

Armand

• Forum Guru
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,592 posts
  • 108 topics

Posted 05 August 2017 - 04:33 PM

There's a lot of numbers in Kutschas links but till now Ive only found numbers at any specific time. But i have still much to read.

A detail i've come past during the surf is that the sacrifies of the 8th airforce was about 2,000 soles higher than the Marines in the Pacific :-o Wich leads to the same numbers/percentage for the marines If any might come past such!

#4 Armand

Armand

• Forum Guru
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,592 posts
  • 108 topics

Posted 05 August 2017 - 05:16 PM

Found it!
At: http://www.taphilo.c...8aflosses.shtml12 lines before the section 'TRAINING':
"Around 135,000 men flew in combat in the 8th Air Force."!
A quick calculating results in a survival percentage of 80,75%, wich actually is surprising high IMO.
The link above have been edited with the number.

Edited by Armand, 07 August 2017 - 09:05 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users