• Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Steam Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Photo
- - - - -

Watched these bad boys today

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#11 Armand

Armand

About the same age as another old Fokker: The F-27

• Forum Guru
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,657 posts
  • Joined 3 Years, 9 Months and 3 Days
  • 112 topics
  • LocationAbout 20 nm east of BLL

Posted 11 June 2017 - 08:55 PM

Reconsidering the SeaDart it might be the right idea as Delta's create an air cushion wich is hard to concour when landing and opposite for T-O. Hence a Delta ought to lift out of the water like the power-boats.
What went wrong with the SeaDart is possible that it was a rebuild of a functional landbased aircraft and If it had been built from scratch it might have been more successfull.
However, jet turbines are prone to problems with corrosion when exposed by water, and especially seawater. The problem have been exposed to several jet-powerboat constructors, hence jet engines are not the best choise for a hydroplane-fighteraircraft.
IMHO should the development take it's offspring in the propeller fitted svamp boats and it's strange to me that nobody have got the idea of aa delta hybrid swampboat when so many automobile-hybrid experiments have been done :-/

#12 Kutscha

Kutscha

Forum Guru

• Forum Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts
  • Joined 12 Years, 9 Months and 21 Days
  • 117 topics

Posted 12 June 2017 - 01:00 AM

Come now guys the Spit originated from the Schneider Cup racers or so it has been said.

#13 Kutscha

Kutscha

Forum Guru

• Forum Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts
  • 117 topics

Posted 14 June 2017 - 09:21 PM

Big V-12 engines

• flying kiwi likes this

#14 Romantic Technofreak

Romantic Technofreak

GOT Custodian

• Forum Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,038 posts
  • Joined 13 Years, 11 Months and 15 Days
  • 297 topics

Posted 27 June 2017 - 05:59 PM

I mean they can fly - even with a small engine they do a try:

3339333234636632.jpg

Do they necessarily need to flip over? I don't think so! This one looks like I imagine one of them to lift off from water - you may imagine wings, controls and an airscrew added (it would level perfectly horizontal in this picture, well, as I said, some Dornier technology required):

3064373137656566.jpg

Doesn't this one look like a WWII fighter? At least a bit?

3664383662316666.jpg

Well, they CAN fly, at least it looks like this:

3335303038333438.jpg

As fast as a WWII fighter? I only can say, hopefully so!

Regards, RT

#15 Kutscha

Kutscha

Forum Guru

• Forum Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts
  • 117 topics

Posted 27 June 2017 - 10:47 PM

RT, I drove a boat like the red one. As you described but it only takes a small wave or a gust of wind to upset the balance and a loop begins. :D  Sometime it is successful but normally not. ;)

Then there are these bad boys,

#16 Romantic Technofreak

Romantic Technofreak

GOT Custodian

• Forum Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,038 posts
  • 297 topics

Posted 28 June 2017 - 05:49 PM

Hi Kutscha,

do you have a pilot's license also? What do you say about a controlled lift of these craft, if winged?

Do you see the way from this to a WWII fighter as generally passable?

Thanks for your answers, and best regards,

RT

#17 Kutscha

Kutscha

Forum Guru

• Forum Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts
  • 117 topics

Posted 28 June 2017 - 11:25 PM

To the 3rd question RT the answer is a negative.

One doesn't need a license of any kind, but one is on probation for several heats (races). The number depends of the size of the boat. If one proves themself competent enough them you can mix it up with other boats instead of starting on the outside and behind the other boats.

The boats have a wing shaped inner section.

aeromarine-forces.gif

from https://www.boatdesi...el-hull-design/

Hopefully this will answer you question better than I can.

This is the image of the 1st boat I raced (not the actual boat). 13ft with a 75hp motor.

MX13.jpg

The part of the boat actually touching the water at speed was the pad, about the size of your keyboard, at the stern. Very hard to drive - no motor trim so one couldn't adjust the attitude and it was like balancing on a tight rope. The torque from the prop wanted to roll the boat on its side, so one used the steering wheel to correct the rolling action. One could tell a rookie driver as they would bounce from chine to chine till they acquired the knack to compensate.

• flying kiwi likes this

#18 Romantic Technofreak

Romantic Technofreak

GOT Custodian

• Forum Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,038 posts
  • 297 topics

Posted 29 June 2017 - 02:27 PM

Hi Kutscha,

I mean what if such a thing had wings like an airplane, rsp it is meant as one? Wouldn't the propeller torque (of the airscrew) be unable to sink the one wing which is afflicted by it? Or do you mean a Beriev Be-103 would be unable to rise from water, if it were single engined? I think there are small flying boats with only one engine and very low lying wings which do or nearly do touch the water, but are still flyable (although being unable to quickly retrieve an example from my picture collection).

I was asking, because you engagage yourself here, you might have a pilot's license for an aircraft too. If you are used to steer both airplanes and racing boats, you would be very able to judge such an idea.

Thank you, and regards,

RT

#19 Armand

Armand

About the same age as another old Fokker: The F-27

• Forum Guru
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,657 posts
  • Joined 3 Years, 9 Months and 3 Days
  • 112 topics
  • LocationAbout 20 nm east of BLL

Posted 29 June 2017 - 07:31 PM

I came recently past this, to me, surprising Volvo development wich connects to aviational contra prop's : https://encrypted-tb...dGuegsnb1-C2TVw:-o

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users