• Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Steam Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Photo
- - - - -

Mosquito crash in Barroway Drove

mosquito crash barroway drove

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Janice

Janice

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Joined 4 Months and 20 Days
  • 1 topics

Posted 16 April 2017 - 12:37 PM

Hi I'm new to the forum and am looking for help in identifying a Mosquito which crashed in Barroway Drove during WW2. The Barroway Drove History Group is trying to identify the crew members who were killed in order to put them on a new war memorial.

The crash is believed to have happened after the middle of 1943 - one resident insists it was on 1st October 1944 at 8.30pm although this does not tally with another who says he watched it approaching (i.e. in daylight).

Stories differ between one & two casualties who may have bailed out at a low altitude and been killed.

The local stations at RAF Downham Market & RAF Marham seem to have been ruled out as the base for the aircraft.

I have tried searching the ASN wikibase for Mosquitos without finding any likely crashes. A Mosquito is about the only piece of data that everyone seems to agree on. 

A search on http://www.rafcomman...rdead/index.phpfor 1st October 1944 produces no casualties whose deaths were registered in Downham district.

With no info on squadron or crew is there any way of finding details of the crash.

I'm told that Mr Croxford received compensation after the war for the loss of his cow and shed. Do you know where I would be likely to find records of this?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Janice Thomson

#2 Armand

Armand

About the same age as another old Fokker: The F-27

• Forum Guru
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,566 posts
  • Joined 3 Years, 5 Months and 4 Days
  • 107 topics
  • LocationAbout 20 nm east of BLL

Posted 16 April 2017 - 01:12 PM

Have You considered whether there actually was casualities or it only is telltales?

#3 Kutscha

Kutscha

Forum Guru

• Forum Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,528 posts
  • Joined 12 Years, 5 Months and 22 Days
  • 115 topics

Posted 16 April 2017 - 02:36 PM

Janice I have asked on another board which usually very good with such requests.

#4 CORSNING

CORSNING

Forum Guru

• Forum Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,524 posts
  • Joined 3 Years, 11 Months and 3 Days
  • 178 topics
  • LocationClyde, Ohio, USA

Posted 16 April 2017 - 05:17 PM

Hi Janice,

Welcome to the community. I do not have the knowledge you seek in your

quest but I have faith in Kutscha's ability to at least be able to steer you in the

right direction. Good luck and God's speed on your quest.

Jeff.

#5 curmudgeon

curmudgeon

• Forum Guru
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,044 posts
  • Joined 14 Years, 5 Months and 5 Days
  • 25 topics

Posted 28 April 2017 - 12:05 PM

At one point when debating the effectiveness of Mosquitoes there was a link to a listing that recorded the fate of every airframe. This might be a good starting point

#6 Armand

Armand

• Forum Guru
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,566 posts
  • 107 topics

Posted 01 May 2017 - 12:12 PM

At one point when debating the effectiveness of Mosquitoes there was a link to a listing that recorded the fate of every airframe. This might be a good starting point

Found it: http://www.airhistor... prodn list.txt
Read on, Janice!

#7 Kutscha

Kutscha

Forum Guru

• Forum Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,528 posts
  • Joined 12 Years, 5 Months and 22 Days
  • 115 topics

Posted 01 May 2017 - 12:34 PM

She has Armand and came up with a blank.

https://ww2aircraft....ay-drove.46233/

#8 Armand

Armand

• Forum Guru
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,566 posts
  • 107 topics

Posted 01 May 2017 - 02:45 PM

Inflight or take-off: It's most probably that the flight direction have been westbound -against the western wind, hence would it most likely have been at take off it crashed in Barroway Drove - Due to the wind direction at the day, could the opposite be the case however.
I dont trust in any eyewitness report and the different stories do show how combersome eye witnesses, being tell-tales within time, can be. Even during war it wasn't evident that any British citizen had a master degree in planespotting. The RAF would probably not publish anything about the aircraft at any given airfield, hence most planespotting would have been out of any degree of imagination :-/
After the liberation of Denmark (May 5th coming up) did My mother recieve a small brooch from some RAF fellow: An aircraft made of a hammered out penny. It's obvious to Me it resembles a Spitfire, however the precence of Mosquitos above Copenhagen during the raid on the GESTAPO head quarter, few months before the liberation, have seemingly made a disturbing impression in the perception of aircraft by the Copenhagen citizens, as My mother have made a caption including 'Mosquito' at an early postwar photo where She wore the brooch :-o

#9 curmudgeon

curmudgeon

• Forum Guru
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,044 posts
  • Joined 14 Years, 5 Months and 5 Days
  • 25 topics

Posted 02 May 2017 - 11:16 AM

OK - back to basics, if it isn't a Mosquito airframe (with presumably nothing lost either in the locality or on the day) what was it? Was it a twin? No laughing - see the story of Armand's mum. Ordinary people are not good observers of things that aren't important in their lives. Unless someone wrote down the date at the time I'd be wary of that - people aren't good at remembering dates without a cue ... so 'date x, it was my brother's birthday' is good, whereas 'date x' is suspect. People are better at remembering locality. If it really was a twin then likely about half would be USAAF ...

• Armand likes this

#10 Armand

Armand

• Forum Guru
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,566 posts
  • 107 topics

Posted 02 May 2017 - 05:42 PM

OK - back to basics, if it isn't a Mosquito airframe (with presumably nothing lost either in the locality or on the day) what was it? Was it a twin? No laughing - see the story of Armand's mum....

Mums perception might be justified by the fact that there was equal amount of Mustangs above the rooftops of Copenhagen that day.
She could have happened only to have spotted a glimpse of a Mustang and later heard the tales of the attacking Mosquitos :-/
Anyhow, this only reasons how easy ordinary people can make false conclusions!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: mosquito, crash, barroway drove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users