• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Steam Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Photo
- - - - -

B-25 "Heavenly Body": Original vs preserved

B-25 Mitchell

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 cyanide19

cyanide19

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Joined 15 Days
  • 2 topics

Posted 11 February 2017 - 11:30 AM

Hello,

while searching for some nice markings for my B-25 model, I've found decals for currently flying Mitchell "Heavenly Body" of the 42nd BG "Crusaders". The restored Mitchell looks great in this scheme and it's also my favourite version of the plane, with glass nose and a sick amount of MGs pointing forward.
The question is: how much does this look have in common with original WW2 "Heavenly Body"?

I've found only one pic of the original:

ph_arts_crafts.223.2.jpg

the pin-up girl is hardly similar to the one currently flying, being painted in a completely different suit, and not waving a veil(?) with a USAF Star on it.  Kits-World decals say in their instruction sheet for "Heavenly Body" that the original was a B-25C, and currently we have a B-25J carrying those markings.

Is there any chance that there were two different (one after another?) "Heavenly Bodies" in the Crusader group, the first one being a B-25C from the picture above and the other one, B-25J, acting as a marking donor for the restored aircraft? Or maybe the restored Mitchell is only loosely inspired by the one from the picture and therefore in fact a fictional marking?

Cheers,
Filip

#2 Armand

Armand

About the same age as another old Fokker: The F-27

• Forum Guru
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,411 posts
  • Joined 3 Years, 1 Month and 7 Days
  • 104 topics
  • LocationAbout 20 nm east of BLL

Posted 12 February 2017 - 07:43 PM

Considering how many Curtiss P-40 versions resembling a Flying Tiger I think the Heavenly Body decal got some major reason to be displayed at any given B-25.
Kermit Weeks og Fantasy of Flight is told to be manic around originality, wich seen the other way round not might be the case for the rest of the aviation-historic-flight branch :-/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users