• Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Steam Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Photo
- - - - -

Republic P-43 Lancer

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#11 CORSNING

CORSNING

Forum Guru

• Forum Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,583 posts
  • Joined 4 Years, 1 Month
  • 183 topics
  • LocationClyde, Ohio, USA

Posted 26 March 2017 - 10:14 AM

In April 1942 the P-43A-1s had been flight tested and were being handed over to the Chines.

Some sources give that they had 4 x 0.5 in wing guns. To this date I have not seen a photograph

proving such. :)

#12 Rick65

Rick65

Registered Member

• Regulars
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts
  • Joined 5 Years, 7 Months and 29 Days
  • 1 topics
  • LocationPerth, Western Australia

Posted 28 March 2017 - 08:26 AM

Baugher says the 4 x 0.5 in the wing, plus armour plate and self sealing to the tanks, most say 2 x 0.5 in the nose and 2 x 0.5 in the wings and if there was self sealing it didn't work well as leakage was a problem.

The engine model was changed from 49 to 57 with the change from A to the A-1 supplied to the Chinese but it seems unclear what else was changed.

Has anyone a photo of any P-43 without the nose guns?

#13 Rick65

Rick65

Registered Member

• Regulars
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts
  • 1 topics

Posted 31 March 2017 - 06:07 AM

Probably no photos of P-43 without nose guns as there probably were never any

http://www.warbirdsr.../p43lancer.html

"An additional 125 P-43A-1s were ordered for China through the Lend-Lease program, originally intended to equip the Third American Volunteer Group (AVG). These initially differed in the Air Materiel Command specification from earlier P-43s in being armed with two 0.50 in machine guns in each wing and no fuselage guns, and having rudimentary armor and fuel tank protection. This would have required a series of serious engineering changes. Reality intervened: actually, as delivered, the P-43A-1 had the same armament layout as the P-43As: four .50 in machine guns, two in the cowl and two in the wings. Externally, they were identical, and only the serial numbers distinguishes a P-43A from a P-43A-1. Many of these aircraft were fitted with cockpit armor before shipment westward from California in crates; evidence is murky whether the cockpit armor came from Republic or was cobbled together after delivery."

• CORSNING likes this

#14 CORSNING

CORSNING

Forum Guru

• Forum Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,583 posts
  • 183 topics

Posted 31 March 2017 - 07:40 PM

Rick65

Thank you Rick for your input. It helped with the P-43 timeline I put together.

I checked my library and found that I had all the information to begin with. It is

just a lot of work keeping it all straight. Your help did not go unnoticed. Check

the reference post #4 on the REPUBLIC P-43 PERFORMANCE / TIMELINE

thread in the AIRCRAFT PERFORMANCE section of this site.

Thank you, Jeff ;)  :)

#15 Rick65

Rick65

Registered Member

• Regulars
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts
  • 1 topics

Posted 02 April 2017 - 02:27 AM

Happy to help.

I did on line searching on the P-43 when the remains of one of the Australian ones was excavated in late 2012 and was surprised to find that they had more combat exposure than generally known.

Does anyone know a link between Republic manufacturing numbers and USAAF serial numbers.

#16 CORSNING

CORSNING

Forum Guru

• Forum Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,583 posts
  • 183 topics

Posted 02 April 2017 - 12:08 PM

USAAC / USAAF Serial numbers are 39-704/716 for the YP-43 in 1939 and

40-1891/2970 for the P-43A. I don't think Joe Baugher lists the Republic numbers.

http://home.att.net/...safserials.html

Go to Google and type in:      http:// home.att.net/ ~jbaugher/ usafserials.html

do not leave any spaces. I tried to list so you could click on it but this post wouldn't

let me. :(

Edited by CORSNING, 02 April 2017 - 12:20 PM.

#17 Rick65

Rick65

Registered Member

• Regulars
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts
  • 1 topics

Posted 02 April 2017 - 10:44 PM

Thanks, I have looked at Baugher previously and he only has the USAAF numbers not the Republic ones.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users