• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Steam Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Photo
- - - - -

Republic P-43 Lancer

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Ricky

Ricky

• Moderators
  • 2,936 posts
  • Joined 14 Years and 8 Days
  • 138 topics

Posted 03 February 2017 - 05:27 PM

I did a 'can you name these warbirds' quiz online just to feel smug, and came across the Republic P-43 Lancer. 

I was intrigued, and had a (very) quick browse online, and kept coming across variations of this statement 

until the arrival of the P-38, the Lancer was the only Allied fighter capable of catching a Japanese Mitsubishi Ki-46 "Dinah" reconnaissance plane at the speeds and heights at which they flew.

However I can't find any hard info on who actually used it, where or what for - except the Chinese who lost a lot to Japanese fighters.

Can anybody here fill in the service history and satisfy my curiosity?

#2 Kutscha

Kutscha

Forum Guru

• Forum Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,465 posts
  • Joined 12 Years, 1 Month and 25 Days
  • 112 topics

Posted 03 February 2017 - 05:35 PM

http://www.joebaughe...ghters/p43.html

• CORSNING likes this

#3 Ricky

Ricky

• Moderators
  • 2,936 posts
  • Joined 14 Years and 8 Days
  • 138 topics

Posted 03 February 2017 - 09:15 PM

Ta. So some (poor) combat with the Chinese, maybe some photo recon with the Americans and Australians...

Which means the only possible chance of it intercepting the Dinah was in China...

At some point I will check the stats to see if it *could* intercept it

#4 CORSNING

CORSNING

Forum Guru

• Forum Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,146 posts
  • Joined 3 Years, 7 Months and 6 Days
  • 169 topics
  • LocationClyde, Ohio, USA

Posted 03 February 2017 - 10:52 PM

The P-43 had the altitude ability to climb to and perform at the altitude of

the Diana. But, if the Ki.46 saw the P-43 in time it had the speed to outrun

its pursuer.

Edited by CORSNING, 05 February 2017 - 07:09 PM.

#5 Rick65

Rick65

Registered Member

• Regulars
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts
  • Joined 5 Years, 2 Months and 4 Days
  • 0 topics
  • LocationPerth, Western Australia

Posted 05 February 2017 - 01:50 PM

The RAAF received 8 that were used in a reconnaisance role until F-4s replaced them.

Refer to http://www.adf-gallery.com.au/and other information elsewhere on that site.

Some of the RAAF planes were modified to carry external tanks to increase range and there was much discussion on the type on various forums after the remains of one was excavated from an Australian country town in secrecyin about 2014.

This set of remains is with Reevers and there is supposedly also remains of a second one floating around that crashed on a flight from Melbourne to Wagga Wagga in 1943 with this wreckage and the missing pilot  not being discovered until 1958.

I don't know why but discussions on the P-43 seems to always be controversial.

They could have been a useful plane to cover the higher altitudes where the P-40 struggled if they had protected tanks that did not leak constantly. They also seem to have a problem with ground handling and particularly ground loops.

• CORSNING likes this

#6 Rick65

Rick65

Registered Member

• Regulars
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts
  • 0 topics

Posted 05 February 2017 - 01:54 PM

This is another intersting link more relevant to the P-43 in China

http://www.warbirdfo...om/richdunn.htm

• CORSNING likes this

#7 Rick65

Rick65

Registered Member

• Regulars
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts
  • 0 topics

Posted 06 February 2017 - 04:03 AM

I got time to reread the link above and the following quote is relevant given that a Type 100 is a Dinah.

Implication is that Corsning is correct, the P-43 could climb to the height needed to intercept the outstanding Dinah but was probably not fast enough to intercept an aware one once it got there.

"On August 17th (1942) the P-43 entered combat for the first time. The 75th Fighter Squadron (FS) was at Kweilin en route to its new base at Changyi when a Japanese intruder was reported by the warning net. Two P-40s and two P-43s scrambled. The P-40s were unable to intercept but both P-43s made contact. Lt. Phillip B. O'Connell got within range only to have his guns jam and then his radio fail. Lt. Burrell Barnum then followed the speedy Japanese craft in a lengthy chase involving climbs, dives and straight runs. Barnum fired from long range but never got close enough to inflict serious damage. Barnum reported the "I-45" to be equal in speed to the P-43 at 20,000 feet [50]. Barnum most likely encountered a Type 100 Headquarters reconnaissance plane of the 18th Independent Squadron, an airplane credited with a maximum speed of 375 mph. at 19,000 feet."

#8 Rick65

Rick65

Registered Member

• Regulars
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts
  • 0 topics

Posted 06 February 2017 - 06:29 AM

replying to myself! A healthy P-43 reportedly was good for around 350mph at 25,000ft and could go much higher so some chance against an early Dinah, faster than the few Ki-46-I (336mph) and slower than the far more common Ki-46-II (the quoted 375mph).

Even if an interception was not possible the P-43 could have been an adequate threat to divert the Dinah from it's reconnaisance task.

#9 CORSNING

CORSNING

Forum Guru

• Forum Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,146 posts
  • Joined 3 Years, 7 Months and 6 Days
  • 169 topics
  • LocationClyde, Ohio, USA

Posted 07 February 2017 - 10:44 AM

Thank you Kutscha and Rick65 for posting those links. The P-43 is one of the aircraft I still have to

post a timeline for over on the AIRCRAFT PERFORMANCE section of this site. Being reminded about 

these two sites will be a big help.

I just need to finish up the N1k, ki.61 and Ki.100 first.

PS: Or not. :)  :rolleyes:

Edited by CORSNING, 07 February 2017 - 08:28 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users