• Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Steam Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Photo
- - - - -

Best Sounding Warbird engine

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#1 F7Ftigercatlover

F7Ftigercatlover

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts
  • Joined 6 Months and 9 Days
  • 7 topics
  • LocationArizona

Posted 23 January 2017 - 02:37 AM

I am curious too see what engine you guys think sounds the best?

• Merlin
  • Allison
  • Pratt & Whitney
  • Griffon
  • Other

I Love the sound of all these engines but the Pratt & Whitney R-2800 in the F7F Tigercat is by far the most beautiful engine sound on earth!

Please expound on why you think your engine of choice sounds the best :D 

-F7F

#2 Romantic Technofreak

Romantic Technofreak

GOT Custodian

• Forum Guru
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,983 posts
  • Joined 13 Years, 6 Months and 21 Days
  • 288 topics

Posted 23 January 2017 - 06:44 AM

I have to tell you that I don't like them all. Concerning sound, I wish they all would be turboprop engines. The sound of a freshly-started Fw 190 really disturbs the fine optical impression. About noise, I only can say, from the Chino airshow I joined with Greg's help in 2010, the Lockheed Lightning is the lowest (and most comfortable for me, for the exhausts are pointing upward). The loudest and most uncomfortable was the Fairey Firefly.

Regards, RT

#3 Ricky

Ricky

• Moderators
  • 2,959 posts
  • Joined 14 Years, 3 Months and 10 Days
  • 138 topics

Posted 23 January 2017 - 09:49 AM

If you like it quiet, never ever watch a Blackburn Buccaneer at very low level.

#4 flying kiwi

flying kiwi

• Regulars
  • PipPipPip
  • 654 posts
  • Joined 7 Years, 4 Months and 10 Days
  • 5 topics

Posted 23 January 2017 - 10:21 AM

Cheating a bit here, but I like the sound of this one:

http://www.quartokno...torcycles-..jpg

The engine was based on an auxiliary power unit used in Lancasters. 

I haven't actually heard that many warbirds in the flesh, but I liked the Centaurus I heard pulling a Sea Fury around once.

#5 Armand

Armand

About the same age as another old Fokker: The F-27

• Forum Guru
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,538 posts
  • Joined 3 Years, 4 Months and 9 Days
  • 107 topics
  • LocationAbout 20 nm east of BLL

Posted 23 January 2017 - 09:24 PM

I think the most(ly) diverging sound might catch most attention and out of this conclusion is the 5-bladed Griffon Spitfire among My better experiences!
But the radials do have an impressive sound, however the Catalina and the B-17 at the last airshow I visited was a huge disapointment. I guess that the engines wasn't pushed much :-/

#6 Wuzak

Wuzak

Forum Guru

• Forum Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,935 posts
  • Joined 12 Years and 27 Days
  • 159 topics

Posted 24 January 2017 - 12:32 AM

Merlins and Griffons are great (from the limited opportunities I have had to hear them).

I've only seen it on YouTube, but the Fiat AS.6 in the Macchi MC72 sounds awesome.

• F7Ftigercatlover likes this

#7 F7Ftigercatlover

F7Ftigercatlover

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts
  • 7 topics
  • LocationArizona

Posted 24 January 2017 - 01:49 AM

I think the most(ly) diverging sound might catch most attention and out of this conclusion is the 5-bladed Griffon Spitfire among My better experiences!
But the radials do have an impressive sound, however the Catalina and the B-17 at the last airshow I visited was a huge disapointment. I guess that the engines wasn't pushed much :-/

To Armand, if you want a loud roaring engine, Heavy bombers won't provide that, they have a rumbling humming sound that I would say is quite relaxing. I prefer the high octane make your ear ring Pratt & Whitney's and the Merlins. The Griffon powered Seafire and Fairey Firefly have a very unique, distinctive engine sound that isn't as smooth sounding as a Merlin but sound much more powerful.

Something I didn't point out is that some aircraft that share the same engines as others have a different sound. The Merlin in a Mustang sounds slightly louder and more powerful than in a spitfire. The best example of this is between the F8F Bearcat and the F7F tigercat. Both aircraft have Pratt & Whitney JR-2800 double wasp radial engines, but they don't share the same audio effects. The Bearcat has a quick timeframe where the engine is heard where it is very loud, or when racing it has a rather quiet whistle too it, or a rumble. The F7F has a serious build up of noise that sounds like a roar. It's rather hard to explain but anyone that has heard any of the two will understand what I'm saying.

#8 Stony

Stony

• Regulars
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts
  • Joined 12 Years, 8 Months and 4 Days
  • 7 topics
  • LocationThe Right side of the Dutch/German Border

Posted 24 January 2017 - 09:00 AM

The Griffons in a Shackleton. You could already hear these beasts while they were still many miles away! That is one sound I will never forget.

All Photo's are made by me unless stated otherwise. Re-use with full credit only.

https://www.facebook.com/stonyaviationpublishing/

http://stonyaviation.weebly.com/

http://aerialvisuals.ca/

Instagram: @stony_avpub

#9 Romantic Technofreak

Romantic Technofreak

GOT Custodian

• Forum Guru
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,983 posts
  • Joined 13 Years, 6 Months and 21 Days
  • 288 topics

Posted 24 January 2017 - 05:25 PM

It is said when a B-36 flew over a house the walls started trembling. The testing of the Republic XF-84H Thunderscreech endangered the function of the Edwards AFB tower (one could hear the engine from 40 km distance). But the loudest aircraft ever I mean was the XB-70.

If you like it quiet, never ever watch a Blackburn Buccaneer at very low level.

Thanks for the advice, Ricky. If I ever have to attend an airshow with the Buccaneer performing, before I shall get the address of a good otologist in the vicinity. He should plug in my ears again after them having fallen off, as I expect them to do at the airshow.

Regards, RT

#10 F7Ftigercatlover

F7Ftigercatlover

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts
  • 7 topics
  • LocationArizona

Posted 25 January 2017 - 03:22 AM

The Griffons in a Shackleton. You could already hear these beasts while they were still many miles away! That is one sound I will never forget.

If you have ever heard the heavily modified Griffon powered contra-rotating prop P-51 mustang Precious Metal, it is the best sound I have ever heard, even better than the Tigercat in some ways.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users