• Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Steam Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Photo
- - - - -

MITSUBISHI A6M ZERO-SEN (REISEN) "Zeke / Rufe / Hamp" TIMELINE

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#11 Laurelix

Laurelix

Advanced Member

• Regulars
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts
  • Joined 8 Months and 2 Days
  • 12 topics

Posted 31 March 2017 - 10:32 PM

Cool Laurelix. Now, I just wish these old eyes of mine were able to read it. :blink:  :)

Corresponds to my J2M performance post. Except it states the first test flight (incorrect climb) of the J2M5 instead of the corrected rate of climb. (2nd test)

#12 CORSNING

CORSNING

Forum Guru

• Forum Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,649 posts
  • Joined 4 Years, 4 Months and 5 Days
  • 186 topics
  • LocationClyde, Ohio, USA

Posted 09 November 2017 - 02:35 PM

The following information comes from an article from History Stories (/News).

The article is titled 'The Akutan Zero: How a Captured Japanese Fighter Plane

Helped Win World War II'.

"On June 4, Japanese air forces raided Allied positions in the Aleutian Islands

in an attempt to lure U.S. naval power away from the impending Battle of

Midway. When Japanese pilot Tadayashi Koga took a crippling hit from ground

fire and crashed on Akutan Island, the U.S. Navy captured his plane-the coveted

Japanese "Zero". Koga literally handed the Allies the keys to defeating Japan in

the air, helping bring an end to World War II."

The following is concerning the testing of the Koga's A6M2:

"The plane performed beautifully, and Sanders went on to fly 24 test flights in

25 days. In the process, he discovered the Zero possessed not one but two Achilles'

heels. First, it was nearly impossible to perform rolls at moderately high speed. This

meant that forcing the enemy into such a maneuver would confer a tactical advantage

to allied pilots. Second, a poorly designed carburetor caused the engine to sputter

badly when the plane was placed into a dive at a high rate of speed. Thus, forcing the

Zeroes to dive during a dogfight might make them easy targets for Allied gunners."

"Marine Captain Kenneth Walsh described how he used information from the

Zero test flights to finish the war with 17 aerial victories over Zeroes: "With a Zero on

my tail I did a split S, and with its nose down and full throttle my Corsair picked up

speed fast. I wanted at least 240knots, preferably 260. Then, as prescribed, I rolled

hard right. As I did and continued my dive, tracers from the Zero zinged past my

plane's belly, From information that came from Koga's Zero, I knew the Zero rolled

more slowly to the right than to the left. If I hadn't known which way to turn or roll,

I'd have probably rolled to my left. If I had done that, the Zero would likely have

turned with me, locked on, and had me. I used that maneuver a number of times

to get away from Zeroes."

"Masatake Okumiya, a Japanese officer who led many Zero squadrons and

authored the book "Zero", described the significance of the Allies' capture of Koga's

plane as "no less serious than the Japanese defeat at Midway" and said it "did much

to hasten our final defeat."

http://www.history.c...in-world-war-ii

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users