• Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Steam Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Photo
- - - - -

Your fondest aviation memory

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#11 GregP

GregP

Forum Guru

• Forum Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,211 posts
  • Joined 13 Years, 8 Months and 24 Days
  • 222 topics

Posted 13 January 2017 - 02:13 AM

Looks like 22 ... and the formation is pretty darned good! Wonder if they ever did a 22-ship echelon roll? That would be a sight to see.

Might seriously eat into the available fuel supply, though ... :-)

#12 Stony

Stony

• Regulars
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts
  • Joined 12 Years, 8 Months and 1 Day
  • 7 topics
  • LocationThe Right side of the Dutch/German Border

Posted 13 January 2017 - 11:11 AM

I didn't realise the Hunters could stay in air long enough to gather a 50-ship formation! ;-)

It was all about Swiss timing, that particular occasion was the retirement of the Swiss AF Hunters...
  • GregP and Armand like this

All Photo's are made by me unless stated otherwise. Re-use with full credit only.

https://www.facebook.com/stonyaviationpublishing/

http://stonyaviation.weebly.com/

http://aerialvisuals.ca/

Instagram: @stony_avpub

#13 Kutscha

Kutscha

Forum Guru

• Forum Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,510 posts
  • Joined 12 Years, 4 Months and 24 Days
  • 113 topics

Posted 13 January 2017 - 12:07 PM

Looks like 22 ... and the formation is pretty darned good! Wonder if they ever did a 22-ship echelon roll? That would be a sight to see.

Might seriously eat into the available fuel supply, though ... :-)

Right 22.  Missed the 4th in the center. :(

#14 GregP

GregP

Forum Guru

• Forum Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,211 posts
  • 222 topics

Posted 13 January 2017 - 11:17 PM

No sweat, Kutscha. I never make mistakes like that!   :D

You guys have caught me in enough of them. WAY more than Kutscha ever made.

#15 Kutscha

Kutscha

Forum Guru

• Forum Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,510 posts
  • 113 topics

Posted 14 January 2017 - 12:40 AM

No exactly airplane but at a boat race in Trois Rivier PQ the Canadian Forces parachute team put on a display. Got to talk to them after the race over a few beers. Us drivers said to them it is crazy to jump out of a perfectly flyable airplane. They replied that it is crazy to fly so close to the water in formation, barely under control, with other boats.

• GregP likes this

#16 GregP

GregP

Forum Guru

• Forum Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,211 posts
  • 222 topics

Posted 20 January 2017 - 11:33 AM

Was on the Tennessee River for YEARS in a Boston Whaler Saconet that was VERY good, but not fast (maybe 38 - 42 mph with an old Johnson 100 outboard).

Fastest I have EVER been on the water was about 95 mph  in 1965 Stevens Racing hull with a 365 HP Corvette engine in it, running a Vee-drive. Felt like it was just about to go over on me, and I backed off before accelerating any farther.

When the bow starts rising and doesn't come back down, your butt sends a signal to your brain to STOP making it difficult for the boat to move forward ... At least it did to my brain ... and I'm still here, no back-flip, either ...

It HAD to be close, though ... if it didn't happen, you didn't really DO it, I hope ... or else I might be dead ...

#17 Kutscha

Kutscha

Forum Guru

• Forum Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,510 posts
  • 113 topics

Posted 20 January 2017 - 01:41 PM

I have rotated twice Greg and am still here. Both due to a wind gust. Nothing much you can do - you can try trimming down (elevator) but is usually to late, if one takes the foot out of the throttle the bow goes even higher and the ride continues.

#18 GregP

GregP

Forum Guru

• Forum Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,211 posts
  • 222 topics

Posted 22 January 2017 - 07:16 AM

I backed out very gradually, not wanting to "upset" anything ... and it worked. Perhaps it was dumb luck, but I learned that on snowmobiles. 

I was rinding one in South Dakota once (in the Air Force, Rapid City) and was cruising along a flat field at constant throttle when I looked behind and saw water! I was on a frozen river, not ina  field, and didn't know it. Since I hadn't sunk yet, I didn't change the throttle setting and merely headed for "higher ground," successfully.

I did the same in the boat that day, with no gust, and got away with it. I never went that fast on water ever again.

My respect for you, Kutscha, just took a large jump if you were a boat racer. I spent a LOT of time on the water, but mostly at under 50 mph, and usually in ecomomy cruise, which was probably closer to 23 mph "on plane," but not flogging the engine.

Have done the same in a plane (smooth controls) in a spin that once went flatter than I wanted. After 5 turns with recover controls over hard and no response, I said to myself, "1 more turn and I'm outta' here for a nylon letdown." Fortunately, along about the 1st 1/3 of the last rotation, it started to lower the nose and slow down, turned into a normal spin, and I recovered. I was mentally calculating the cost for the airframe after the 3rd turn with full recovery applied, but didn't actually have to do it.

I think it was pretty smart or pretty lucky, and I lean toward lucky, for me to have climbed to 10,000 feet AGL before spinning, since I had NO training at the time in aerobatics or flat spins, and I needed some 6,500 of those feet for recovery. After that, I didn't hold the plane into a spin ever again. I'd practice, but would initiate recovery before it was a fully-developed spin. No more spin issues ever after that.

#19 Kutscha

Kutscha

Forum Guru

• Forum Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,510 posts
  • 113 topics

Posted 22 January 2017 - 02:33 PM

Most likely luck Greg. I to had some luck at times. Was coming up to the start in a FE class boat (13' V bottom, 75hp Evinrude) and the boat to my outside began to move over towards my line. Not really his fault as there was open water but I had timed my start to hit the start line at full speed and was moving into the space. Anyway got squeezed til the gunnels were almost touching the boats on the left and right and up I went. I don't know how I managed not to go over. I was looking down into the boat to the right. Finished 3rd out of 12 boats that race. The adrenalin was pumping more than usual that day. ;)

Fastest in a boat was a 3Ltr conventional hydro? ~90mph. The owner of the boat couldn't understand why it was 'slow'. Turns out the engine had standard spark plugs installed for engine break in and hadn't been changed to racing spark plugs. :o

That was some airplane ride.

#20 GregP

GregP

Forum Guru

• Forum Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,211 posts
  • 222 topics

Posted 27 January 2017 - 03:38 AM

It gives your passengers confidence if, after you land, you always say, "Cheated death AGAIN!"  :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users