• Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Steam Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Photo
- - - - -

Unusual Avro Lancaster Conversion

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Romantic Technofreak

Romantic Technofreak

GOT Custodian

• Forum Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,013 posts
  • Joined 13 Years, 9 Months and 11 Days
  • 293 topics

Posted 30 December 2016 - 04:50 PM

Hi friends,

I stored the attached picture, but don't remember from where. It shows an Avro Lancaster that looks like no other. Especially the cabin roof resembles the one of an airliner.

3866396162373632.jpg

I should have been more careful about the informations given with this picture, but unfortunately, I wasn't. I thought it would be an easy thing to find out more about this conversion, but Wikipedia about the Lancaster says nothing about it. The original source said this was for testing some kind of wireless equipment, and it was the last Lancaster conversion ever (post-WWII). The antennae makes it look a bit like some insect, I mean.

Do you know this conversion? Thank you for answers!

Regards, RT

#2 flying kiwi

flying kiwi

• Regulars
  • PipPipPip
  • 670 posts
  • Joined 7 Years, 7 Months
  • 5 topics

Posted 30 December 2016 - 08:37 PM

There were two Lancs converted to this configuration. The dorsal hump is a 1200 gallon fuel tank for proposed aerial refuelling of Tiger Force aircraft, to be used for long range missions against Japan.

• Wuzak and Heräkulman Ruhtinas like this

#3 Ricky

Ricky

• Moderators
  • 2,969 posts
  • Joined 14 Years, 6 Months
  • 138 topics

Posted 30 December 2016 - 09:15 PM

How does that 1200 gallons (presumably UK gallons) compare to the normal lanc fuel load?

#4 Heräkulman Ruhtinas

Heräkulman Ruhtinas

Advanced Member

• Regulars
  • PipPipPip
  • 327 posts
  • Joined 2 Years and 28 Days
  • 12 topics
  • LocationRiga, Latvia

Posted 30 December 2016 - 09:47 PM

Lancaster BI (Special) SW244
"Long Range Saddle Tank Lanc"
Modified directly after leaving the production line in Nov. 1944.

61a3fa83a7f2.jpg

And fuel capacity: 

2,154 Imp gal (2,586 US gal), plus provision for one or two weapons bays tanks of 400 Imp gal (480 US gal) each

• Wuzak and CORSNING like this

-<HR>-

Heräkulman Ruhtinas

Prince of Heräkulma

#5 flying kiwi

flying kiwi

• Regulars
  • PipPipPip
  • 670 posts
  • 5 topics

Posted 30 December 2016 - 09:52 PM

How does that 1200 gallons (presumably UK gallons) compare to the normal lanc fuel load?

The normal capacity was 2154 gallons. This was on top of that, so 50% more.

#6 Romantic Technofreak

Romantic Technofreak

GOT Custodian

• Forum Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,013 posts
  • Joined 13 Years, 9 Months and 11 Days
  • 293 topics

Posted 31 December 2016 - 03:27 PM

Wikipedia says about the "B.I Special" (couldn't find that before, bec. I was on a different trace): "Two airframes (HK541 and SW244) were modified to carry a dorsal "saddle tank" with 1,200 gal (5,455 L) mounted aft of a modified canopy for increasing range. No. 1577 SD Flight tested the aircraft in India and Australia in 1945 for possible use in the Pacific,[17] but the tank adversely affected handling characteristics when full and an early type of in-flight refuelling designed in the late 1930s for commercial flying boats was later used instead."

Last sentence means there had been Tiger Force long range attacks against Japan?

Thank you for the answers and Heräkulman for the additional picture. Going to store it as "B.I Special Long Range Saddle Tank Lanc Tiger Force Inflight Refueller".

Refuels, ahem, Regards,

RT

• Heräkulman Ruhtinas likes this

#7 Heräkulman Ruhtinas

Heräkulman Ruhtinas

Advanced Member

• Regulars
  • PipPipPip
  • 327 posts
  • Joined 2 Years and 28 Days
  • 12 topics
  • LocationRiga, Latvia

Posted 31 December 2016 - 07:35 PM

Wikipedia says about the "B.I Special" (couldn't find that before, bec. I was on a different trace): "Two airframes (HK541 and SW244) were modified to carry a dorsal "saddle tank" with 1,200 gal (5,455 L) mounted aft of a modified canopy for increasing range. No. 1577 SD Flight tested the aircraft in India and Australia in 1945 for possible use in the Pacific,[17] but the tank adversely affected handling characteristics when full and an early type of in-flight refuelling designed in the late 1930s for commercial flying boats was later used instead."

Last sentence means there had been Tiger Force long range attacks against Japan?

Thank you for the answers and Heräkulman for the additional picture. Going to store it as "B.I Special Long Range Saddle Tank Lanc Tiger Force Inflight Refueller".

Refuels, ahem, Regards,

RT

Thanks, there are two other pics in http://www.lancaster...tos_testbed.htm

-<HR>-

Heräkulman Ruhtinas

Prince of Heräkulma

#8 flying kiwi

flying kiwi

• Regulars
  • PipPipPip
  • 670 posts
  • 5 topics

Posted 31 December 2016 - 10:06 PM

"Last sentence means there had been Tiger Force long range attacks against Japan?"

No. Tiger Force was beaten by the end of the war. All that had happened was planning and some trials. From memory, they also planned to use Tempest IIs.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users