• Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Steam Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Photo
- - - - -

Why wasn't the P-47 used in Korea?

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 F7Ftigercatlover

F7Ftigercatlover

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts
  • Joined 6 Months and 6 Days
  • 7 topics
  • LocationArizona

Posted 01 December 2016 - 05:21 PM

This Question has been bothering me for quite sometime, and I was hoping someone in this community has an answer or a hypothesis about this because I'm really quite clueless. The P-47 Thunderbolt was heavily involved in Ground attack and CAS tasks in WWII, while also having the reputation of being incredibly rugged to small arms fire and AA. With it's 2500 ILB bombload and 8 50. cal  machine guns, it was a flying tank(more so than the P-39 Air cobra). Yet it never saw action in the Korean war, which was only 5 years after the end of WWII. The USAF used P-51's, B-26's, and P-80 shooting stars for the ground attack role. I can understand the B-26 Intruder and The P-80 shooting star having that role, but the P-51? The P-51 is considerably more "fragile" compared to the "Jug" and it can only carry half the amount of weaponry that the P-47 can. So who made the decision to use P-51's over P-47's for ground attack, and why?

#2 Armand

Armand

About the same age as another old Fokker: The F-27

• Forum Guru
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,536 posts
  • Joined 3 Years, 4 Months and 6 Days
  • 107 topics
  • LocationAbout 20 nm east of BLL

Posted 01 December 2016 - 07:01 PM

My thought is that the Douglas A1 Skyraider replaced it :-/

#3 CORSNING

CORSNING

Forum Guru

• Forum Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,462 posts
  • Joined 3 Years, 10 Months and 5 Days
  • 176 topics
  • LocationClyde, Ohio, USA

Posted 01 December 2016 - 08:38 PM

Go to Google and type in: Why was the p-51 used in korea instead of the p-47

Several listings came up discussing the reasons why. :)

#4 F7Ftigercatlover

F7Ftigercatlover

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts
  • 7 topics
  • LocationArizona

Posted 01 December 2016 - 08:43 PM

My thought is that the Douglas A1 Skyraider replaced it :-/

The Skyraider replaced the Dauntless and Helldiver for the Navy and Marines, The P-47 was strictly a USAF or USAAF. The Skyraider did an impressive job, but that doesn't mean they couldn't bring in a few Thunderbolt's? While I know there are some other links involving this topic on google, I prefer to have experts like you guys answer me rather than a World of Warplanes player :)

#5 Ricky

Ricky

• Moderators
  • 2,958 posts
  • Joined 14 Years, 3 Months and 7 Days
  • 138 topics

Posted 01 December 2016 - 09:50 PM

I have always read that it was expediency - post war they split P-47 and P-51 to east/west coasts respectively. Presumably because the P-51 range was seen as more suited to the Pacific? Once the Korean war started and the USA was scrambling to send equipment there, the P-51 was simply nearest. My guess is that they never bothered to swap them out later because they were old tech anyway and replacing them with the P-47 would have scrunched up the logistics - and the US military ran on smooth logistics

#6 flying kiwi

flying kiwi

• Regulars
  • PipPipPip
  • 653 posts
  • Joined 7 Years, 4 Months and 7 Days
  • 5 topics

Posted 01 December 2016 - 10:12 PM

I've often wondered about this as well, especially given all the stories of radials sustaining much more damage. The take off and landing runs may have had something to do with it. The Republic fighters were renowned for long take off and landing distances. Maybe Korea didn't have long enough airfields?

#7 CORSNING

CORSNING

Forum Guru

• Forum Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,462 posts
  • Joined 3 Years, 10 Months and 5 Days
  • 176 topics
  • LocationClyde, Ohio, USA

Posted 02 December 2016 - 12:07 AM

I read about the reason long ago. I remember it simply being the fact that the

Mustangs were still in force and in service in 1950 and the P-47 wasn't. A decision

that even the USAF was not happy with. The full answer will take a little time to

check on. Something I am lacking as of now. :mellow:

#8 F7Ftigercatlover

F7Ftigercatlover

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts
  • 7 topics
  • LocationArizona

Posted 02 December 2016 - 12:30 AM

I have always read that it was expediency - post war they split P-47 and P-51 to east/west coasts respectively. Presumably because the P-51 range was seen as more suited to the Pacific? Once the Korean war started and the USA was scrambling to send equipment there, the P-51 was simply nearest. My guess is that they never bothered to swap them out later because they were old tech anyway and replacing them with the P-47 would have scrunched up the logistics - and the US military ran on smooth logistics

I can believe that too be a reason, but if that is one of the main reason's that's pretty sad. Even though the P-47 was on the East coast and said to be obsolete, think of the P-51's and more importantly P-51 pilots that could have been saved because of the Thunderbolt. If something is good, stick with it! But the Air Force has never really seemed to understand that <_< 

#9 Kutscha

Kutscha

Forum Guru

• Forum Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,510 posts
  • Joined 12 Years, 4 Months and 24 Days
  • 113 topics

Posted 02 December 2016 - 01:21 AM

That was the primary reason, plus there was already P-51s in Japan. The N Korean advance was very fast and almost over ran S Korea. The P-51s helped save the day.

Why the U.S. Air Force did not use the F-47 Thunderbolt in the Korean War

https://sobchak.word...the-korean-war/

• Armand likes this

#10 F7Ftigercatlover

F7Ftigercatlover

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts
  • 7 topics
  • LocationArizona

Posted 02 December 2016 - 03:11 AM

That was the primary reason, plus there was already P-51s in Japan. The N Korean advance was very fast and almost over ran S Korea. The P-51s helped save the day.

Why the U.S. Air Force did not use the F-47 Thunderbolt in the Korean War

https://sobchak.word...the-korean-war/

I understand the initial use of the P-51's because of the unexpected invasion, but couldn't they have brought F-47's in 1951? We could play the what if game all week, but I'm just going to accept the fact that P-51's were used not P-47's ^_^ 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users