• Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Steam Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Photo
- - - - -

Schneider Trophy tech

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#31 Wuzak

Wuzak

Forum Guru

• Forum Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,935 posts
  • Joined 12 Years, 3 Months and 17 Days
  • 159 topics

Posted 22 November 2016 - 11:25 PM

Or this
http://www.altomareb.../MacchiMc72.jpg

#32 Wuzak

Wuzak

Forum Guru

• Forum Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,935 posts
  • 159 topics

Posted 22 November 2016 - 11:32 PM

The Planes of Fame may have the only full size replica S6B in the world - the Science Museum in London has to make do with the real thing.

*Smack* :-)

Yes, I must apologise to Greg for that.

#33 Wuzak

Wuzak

Forum Guru

• Forum Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,935 posts
  • 159 topics

Posted 22 November 2016 - 11:37 PM

#34 Armand

Armand

About the same age as another old Fokker: The F-27

• Forum Guru
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,592 posts
  • Joined 3 Years, 6 Months and 30 Days
  • 108 topics
  • LocationAbout 20 nm east of BLL

Posted 23 November 2016 - 01:31 PM

Like this?https://i.kinja-img....ww8x0ky8jpg.jpg

I haven't com past this, wich seemingly runs with the front prop engaged.
BTW: An aircraft with a clutch on the propellar-shaft! That will probably be a one-of in aviation history :-/

Edited by Armand, 23 November 2016 - 09:28 PM.

#35 Armand

Armand

About the same age as another old Fokker: The F-27

• Forum Guru
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,592 posts
  • Joined 3 Years, 6 Months and 30 Days
  • 108 topics
  • LocationAbout 20 nm east of BLL

Posted 23 November 2016 - 09:32 PM

Yes, I must apologise to Greg for that.

Oh no. I find it a very elegant way to deliever the message and it's the elegance wich schmacks!

#36 GregP

GregP

Forum Guru

• Forum Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,234 posts
  • Joined 13 Years, 11 Months and 17 Days
  • 224 topics

Posted 21 December 2016 - 09:34 PM

What message? I do believe I stated we have a replica, and was not claiming we have the real aircraft. There is no "bragging American" in stating you have a replica of anything. I mentioned it because there is no other replica of which I am aware, and I figured many would not know such a replica exists anywhere. We also have a replica Macchi M.39 as well as a replica Deperdussin racing monocoque, a replica Me 163, a replica Heinkel He 100D, a replica Gee Bee R-2, and a replica Heinkel He.178, plus a few formerly-flyable replicas that nobody flies anymore. One of our formerly-flyable replicas has a real Menasco racing engine in it.

All are full-sze replicas.

I'd love to see Ed Maloney's Schneider Cup collection of photos, but it's likely hidden away from the world until and unless someone in the family develops a liking for the Schneider Cup era. I assume that if they haven't already, nobody likely will in the near future.

Every reference I have found about the Supermarine S.6 that goes further than a brief descriton mentions direct lineage to the Spitfire and Merlin, so I'm not too sure where you are coming from saying they are unrelated. The engines were developed by the same design team and the airframes were developed by the same designer. Tough not to see a link there.

#37 Kutscha

Kutscha

Forum Guru

• Forum Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,548 posts
  • Joined 12 Years, 7 Months and 17 Days
  • 116 topics

Posted 21 December 2016 - 09:48 PM

Might as well say the P-40 is a descendant of the Wright Flier

#38 GregP

GregP

Forum Guru

• Forum Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,234 posts
  • Joined 13 Years, 11 Months and 17 Days
  • 224 topics

Posted 22 December 2016 - 05:52 AM

They don't exactly look alike, Kutscha, whereas the S.6 and Spitfire share a lot of design similarities as one might expect when they have the same designer. Also many structural similarities and engines with a very common heritage and operating parts.

You can't say any of the that for the comparison you suggest above. All they have in common is the ability to get off the ground, though the Wright Flier din't really have much of that ability in real life. It was sort of "wait for the right day and wind and maybe we'll  rise a bit ..."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users