• Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Steam Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Photo
- - - - -

Size of B-36

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#21 CORSNING

CORSNING

Forum Guru

• Forum Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,634 posts
  • Joined 4 Years, 3 Months and 2 Days
  • 184 topics
  • LocationClyde, Ohio, USA

Posted 08 October 2016 - 06:14 PM

Nice RT, real nice. :rolleyes:

#22 USAF Steve

USAF Steve

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • Joined 4 Years, 6 Months and 5 Days
  • 2 topics

Posted 28 August 2017 - 05:33 PM

One of my favorite Air Force type movies was Strategic Air Command with Jimmy Stewart.  Lots of good B-36 footage in that one.

#23 GregP

GregP

Forum Guru

• Forum Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,283 posts
  • Joined 14 Years, 1 Month and 21 Days
  • 224 topics

Posted 11 September 2017 - 11:33 PM

Most people were unaware of the small "hallway" alongside the B-47 cockpit until that movie.

One of the guys I used to volunteer with at the Planes of Fame flew B-47s and actually flew one through a LABS maneuver, complete with half-roll off the top. He said they practiced these in a 2-seat F-100 first and then tried in the B-47. Worked beautifully, but they needed the practice to prevent over-g in the B-47, which was not really stressed for aerobatics.

Their profile included using just enough power to simulate the B-47's power loading, and then to pull using the B-47 maneuver envelope.

He maintains to this day that the B-47 was killed by pure politics, not by demonstrated performance.

#24 Rick65

Rick65

Registered Member

• Regulars
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
  • Joined 5 Years, 10 Months
  • 1 topics
  • LocationPerth, Western Australia

Posted 11 September 2017 - 11:50 PM

Greg, what was the politics involved in the B-47's withdrawal ?

I assumed that it was simply replaced by it's bigger brother the B-52.

Did the B-47 have any specific advantages that the B-52 did not?

Love Strategic Air Command for the planes.

#25 GregP

GregP

Forum Guru

• Forum Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,283 posts
  • Joined 14 Years, 1 Month and 21 Days
  • 224 topics

Posted 12 September 2017 - 06:58 PM

According to Fran Pieri, my friend and former B-47 pilot, there was a large faction who wanted to develop the B-47 and a faction who wanted to get rid of it and build the B-52. The pro-B-52 guys included Boeing because there was a LOT more money in a new bomber than there was in continued development of the B-47. The arguments got rather heated, with the pro-B-47 guys saying that WWII was still being paid for and the B-47 could be developed for another 30 - 40 years.

As we know, the pro-B-52 guys won, most of the others were retired early, and we STILL have the B-52.

I do NOT contend that the B-47 was "better." Rather, I'll state that the B-47 could certainly have been developed for some extended period of time since we didn't have materially better performance than the B-47 for MANY years after the B-52 was procured. It flew with essentially the same speed, albeit with more range. It had a faster top speed but cruised slower. However, the B-47 had sufficient range to deliver nukes and THAT was the main point of contention of the B-47 guys. Either one could have delivered the big stick, although the B-52 could have done it and could have flown a round trip instead of a one-way mission that was never flown in real life.

I have a great pic of Fran flying a B-47 refueling from a  KC-97, but it's on my hard drive, not a host.

Why can't we upload an image?

#26 Kutscha

Kutscha

Forum Guru

• Forum Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts
  • Joined 12 Years, 9 Months and 21 Days
  • 117 topics

Posted 12 September 2017 - 09:34 PM

It is my understanding that the B-47 was a 'female dog' near the ground, like when landing.

#27 Armand

Armand

About the same age as another old Fokker: The F-27

• Forum Guru
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,654 posts
  • Joined 3 Years, 9 Months and 3 Days
  • 111 topics
  • LocationAbout 20 nm east of BLL

Posted 13 September 2017 - 04:49 PM

According to Fran Pieri, my friend and former B-47 pilot, there was a large faction who wanted to develop the B-47 and a faction who wanted to get rid of it and build the B-52. The pro-B-52 guys included Boeing because there was a LOT more money in a new bomber than there was in continued development of the B-47. The arguments got rather heated, with the pro-B-47 guys saying that WWII was still being paid for and the B-47 could be developed for another 30 - 40 years.

As we know, the pro-B-52 guys won, most of the others were retired early, and we STILL have the B-52.

I do NOT contend that the B-47 was "better." Rather, I'll state that the B-47 could certainly have been developed for some extended period of time since we didn't have materially better performance than the B-47 for MANY years after the B-52 was procured. It flew with essentially the same speed, albeit with more range. It had a faster top speed but cruised slower. However, the B-47 had sufficient range to deliver nukes and THAT was the main point of contention of the B-47 guys. Either one could have delivered the big stick, although the B-52 could have done it and could have flown a round trip instead of a one-way mission that was never flown in real life.

It was a time where jets was hot and pistons not. It might be as simply as that :-/

#28 Stony

Stony

• Regulars
  • PipPipPip
  • 258 posts
  • Joined 13 Years and 28 Days
  • 8 topics
  • LocationThe Right side of the Dutch/German Border

Posted 13 September 2017 - 09:19 PM

It was a time where jets was hot and pistons not. It might be as simply as that :-/

B-47's were also jets....

All Photo's are made by me unless stated otherwise. Re-use with full credit only.

https://www.facebook.com/stonyaviationpublishing/

http://stonyaviation.weebly.com/

http://aerialvisuals.ca/

Instagram: @stony_avpub

#29 Armand

Armand

About the same age as another old Fokker: The F-27

• Forum Guru
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,654 posts
  • Joined 3 Years, 9 Months and 3 Days
  • 111 topics