• Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Steam Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Photo
- - - - -

Norwegian volunteers gets a F-104 airborne again

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Armand

Armand

About the same age as another old Fokker: The F-27

• Forum Guru
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,566 posts
  • Joined 3 Years, 5 Months and 4 Days
  • 107 topics
  • LocationAbout 20 nm east of BLL

Posted 01 October 2016 - 12:09 AM

There's not much to tell but the headline and most is in Norwegian, but here is a nice row of pictures:
https://www.nrk.no/n...155025.760d1648
And attached to the article by the Norwegian Broadcasting Company, NRK, are there two videos of take-off and landing to find:
https://www.nrk.no/n...3-ar-1.13152617
  • GregP and flying kiwi like this

#2 Chino Kid

Chino Kid

Advanced Member

• Regulars
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  • Joined 1 Year and 2 Days
  • 9 topics

Posted 02 October 2016 - 08:32 PM

First flight in 33 years...restored by a group of white haired volunteers...and flown by a pilot who had never flown one before. Armand, would you have gone in the back seat if you were offered? :)

#3 Armand

Armand

• Forum Guru
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,566 posts
  • 107 topics

Posted 02 October 2016 - 09:14 PM

First flight in 33 years...restored by a group of white haired volunteers...and flown by a pilot who had never flown one before. Armand, would you have gone in the back seat if you were offered? :)

Maybee, but I might cramp the jettison handle/cable quite hard ;-)
But at least did they have the original manuals at hand, hence being quite in favourable position compared with the pilots testing captured aircraft (though last time that happened might be when the MiG-23 was hot) :-o. Speaking of: I dont remember to have read of any captured aircraft being crashed :-/

#4 flying kiwi

flying kiwi

• Regulars
  • PipPipPip
  • 662 posts
  • Joined 7 Years, 5 Months and 5 Days
  • 5 topics

Posted 03 October 2016 - 01:08 AM

If I had the opportunity, I'd go in the back seat. Even if something went wrong, it'd be better than dying because someone else doesn't know how to drive their car. I also suspect everything would have been checked far more thoroughly than on a service F-104.

#5 Armand

Armand

• Forum Guru
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,566 posts
  • 107 topics

Posted 03 October 2016 - 04:22 PM

If I had the opportunity, I'd go in the back seat. Even if something went wrong, it'd be better than dying because someone else doesn't know how to drive their car. I also suspect everything would have been checked far more thoroughly than on a service F-104.

Talking of:
"When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died suddently by a stroke. Not screaming, like all the passengers in the bus He was driving” :-o
  • flying kiwi likes this

#6 Armand

Armand

• Forum Guru
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,566 posts
  • 107 topics

Posted 04 October 2016 - 06:58 PM

From my Youth I only know the extreme noisy sound of RDAF Starfighters tearing the heavens apart.
Aparently did they have a distinct deep howl when taxiing wich wouldn't ever have come to my knowledge If it wasn't for Youtube:

Enjoy!

Edited by Armand, 08 October 2016 - 02:44 PM.

#7 Heräkulman Ruhtinas

Heräkulman Ruhtinas

Advanced Member

• Regulars
  • PipPipPip
  • 327 posts
  • Joined 1 Year, 11 Months and 2 Days
  • 12 topics
  • LocationRiga, Latvia

Posted 09 October 2016 - 07:01 PM

This is pretty much awesome.

-<HR>-

Heräkulman Ruhtinas

Prince of Heräkulma

#8 USAF Steve

USAF Steve

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • Joined 4 Years, 2 Months and 6 Days
  • 2 topics

Posted 27 April 2017 - 05:58 PM

I remember the distinctive sound of the F-104 too...when I was stationed at Luke AFB in the early 80s there was a detachment of Luftwaffe-owned F-104s (they may have been Lockheed owned but Luftwaffe operated, not sure about that).  At that time we also had squadrons of F-4s and F-15s, which were just as noisy but I still remember that weird moaning howl the F-104 made when they were running them up on the ramp.   I also remember parking at the end of the runway watching planes come in to land, and the F-104 was the one that seemed to just about scrape the fence as it came in to touch down.     

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users