• Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Steam Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Photo
- - - - -

Sopwith Pup - Possible the first scale-drawn aircraft.

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Armand

Armand

About the same age as another old Fokker: The F-27

• Forum Guru
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,627 posts
  • Joined 3 Years, 8 Months and 1 Day
  • 111 topics
  • LocationAbout 20 nm east of BLL

Posted 21 September 2016 - 06:24 PM

I have deliberately chosen to visualize the Pup by the use of a 3-view sketch beneath as this much convenient describes the subject.

Herberth Smith was hired by Sopwith after He visely had chosen to participate in a course of the then quite new art of Scale drawing.
Until then had Sopwiths prototypes been designed by Harry Hawker by the use of chalk-lines on the floor - following production by the 1:1 tooling models from the make of the prototype - Just like any other aircraft manufacturer did at the time.
As the Pup is the first Sopwith to fly after the employment of Herbert Smith, it is supposedly the first to have been scale drawn by His hand, and the succes of this new design-trick is to read in the quickly following models: Triplane, Camel and Snipe, wich got Smith, the drawer, advancing the Sopwith co. to designer-level.
Attached File  image.gif   92.46KB   0 downloads

#2 Ricky

Ricky

• Moderators
  • 2,974 posts
  • Joined 14 Years, 7 Months and 2 Days
  • 138 topics

Posted 21 September 2016 - 06:32 PM

by the use of chalk-lines on the floor - following production by the 1:1 tooling models from the make of the prototype

Imagine designing a Lanc that way...

Mind you the big Gotha bombers would be challenging enough

#3 Armand

Armand

• Forum Guru
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,627 posts
  • 111 topics

Posted 21 September 2016 - 08:39 PM

And thats the case: Imagine that it took the simple craft of scale drawing to evolve things into larger constructions made on assembly lines!

#4 Kutscha

Kutscha

Forum Guru

• Forum Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,562 posts
  • Joined 12 Years, 8 Months and 19 Days
  • 116 topics

Posted 22 September 2016 - 01:06 AM

Ships were designed from small drawings. It is called lofting.

#5 Mercman

Mercman

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts
  • Joined 1 Year and 20 Days
  • 1 topics

Posted 22 September 2016 - 01:36 AM

Amazing to think about the progress in aeronautical technology back then.

That Sopwith chap, Tommy - put those advances into attempts to win the 'America's Cup' yacht race, too.

Later, the Sopwith aircraft concern took Hawker ( he was a good Aussie bloke, killed test piloting) as its title,

& Sid Camm became Chief Designer, staying in charge during the period of change from fabric covered biplanes,

through all metal monoplanes to swept wing turbojets & even turbofan vectoring VTOL jump-jets.

#6 Armand

Armand

• Forum Guru
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,627 posts
  • 111 topics

Posted 22 September 2016 - 03:51 PM

Ships were designed from small drawings. It is called lofting.

The thing is that the early aircraft was constructed by the flyboys, as they were the knowledge bank of aviation and af production increased did the flyboys become designers in deed. But from start did they work as from their earliest days.
Naturally had the construction of iron ships, riveted together, a need of detailled drawings for the prefabrication of every part to be assembled in the dock. This is very different from the way wooden boats had been/still are built: Any span or plank are possible to form or cut to fit during the construction. The base of the drawing course wich Herbert Smith participated in had much likely it's offspring in shipboulding :-/

#7 Chino Kid

Chino Kid

Advanced Member

• Regulars
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  • Joined 1 Year, 2 Months and 29 Days
  • 9 topics

Posted 02 October 2016 - 07:35 PM

Imagine designing a Lanc that way...

Mind you the big Gotha bombers would be challenging enough

I wouldn't be surprised if a Lanc or Gotha were designed that way. I recall my father (a Technical Illustrator for Lockheed) telling me about the Old Timers he knew talking about the lofting barns they used to work in.

Attached File  Cecil_Beaton_Photographs-_Tyneside_Shipyards,_1943_DB88.jpg   66.8KB   0 downloads

#8 Armand

Armand

• Forum Guru
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,627 posts
  • 111 topics

Posted 02 October 2016 - 08:03 PM

Lofting barns:
Offcourse! To make big curvatures precise it had to be drawed 1:1 by oversized table-tools hence the modern ability of plotting 1:1. drawings wasn't avaiable until quite late, except from the normal blueprinting size as partial plotting.
Question is now whether Smith was able to scale draw the much smaller WW1 fighters entirely: I can imagine that most of those curves would be able to craft out of the measurements given on a scale drawing :-/

#9 Armand

Armand

• Forum Guru
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,627 posts
  • 111 topics

Posted 18 March 2017 - 09:49 AM

Related to lofting:
At work I made a silly 1:1 comment about to My own wish of an upgrade to rather detailled drawing(*). I was replied by the tech designer who could tell that at Her husbands work they did get quite large 1:1 "floor-drawings" for marking the precise connection points of whatever the production actually was :-o
"CAD lofting barn" ;-)

(*): How detailled modern CAD graphics might be (often is it possible to zoom in on the screen to a level where the threading of bolt connections is reckogniseable), cause modern communication often that the drawings, wich during My aprenticeship could have the size of a door, is printed out in A3-format and even A4 too :-o

#10 Armand

Armand

• Forum Guru
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,627 posts
  • 111 topics

Posted 18 March 2017 - 09:59 AM

Editing the prime posting:
Due to the production numbers alone as mentioned in: https://www.warbirds...etails/?p=52016, did the production of the Pup possible increase late in the production time as a following of scale drawed parts, however it's the remarkably numbers of the Camel wich clearly shows the effect of the new trick of scale drawing, hence prooves that it might have been the Camel wich was the first scale drawed aircraft.

Edited by Armand, 18 March 2017 - 10:35 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users