• Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Steam Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Photo
- - - - -

I Support the Republicans!

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#21 Armand

Armand

About the same age as another old Fokker: The F-27

• Forum Guru
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,592 posts
  • Joined 3 Years, 6 Months and 30 Days
  • 108 topics
  • LocationAbout 20 nm east of BLL

Posted 30 December 2016 - 01:48 AM

Getting back to the original topic, for me the Rainbow is great looking until you hit the tail.
I don't like the look of planes with too much tail dihedral and the fin shape looks like the last bit of a bar of soap.

'Last bit of a bar of soap' - Quite describing, actually :-)
The sleek Rainbow could deserve the triple tail of the likely sleek Lockheed Constellation!

Other transition planes suffer the same problem where the tail doesn't match the design of the rest of the plane, the B-29 a bit, the jet Comet a lot.

Auch! I never saw, and will never be able to look at the Comet with the same eyes again :-o

#22 Armand

Armand

About the same age as another old Fokker: The F-27

• Forum Guru
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,592 posts
  • Joined 3 Years, 6 Months and 30 Days
  • 108 topics
  • LocationAbout 20 nm east of BLL

Posted 30 December 2016 - 01:53 AM

I agree Greg, I was impressed by the futuristic look of the H-P Victor back when I was a kid,
& I still am really, that sleek. organic, almost shark-ray like look still looks mean, IMO.

Nov-14_Web-3.jpg

You're right: There is a quite amount of Flash Gordon over the Victor!

#23 curmudgeon

curmudgeon

• Forum Guru
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,046 posts
  • Joined 14 Years, 7 Months
  • 26 topics

Posted 30 December 2016 - 04:45 AM

You're right: There is a quite amount of Flash Gordon over the Victor!

but beaten by the Vulcan: the Vulcan had a lower radar  signature (irrelevant by 1980) and the Victor had a much bigger payload and was a better aircraft to develop into an aerial refueler. Because of the low radar cross section the Vulcan also got the better high altitude engines. Amazing these jets were all flying in 1952 (and the boringly incomparable Canberra design was Petter in 1944!).

#24 Wuzak

Wuzak

Forum Guru

• Forum Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,935 posts
  • Joined 12 Years, 3 Months and 17 Days
  • 159 topics

Posted 30 December 2016 - 05:15 AM

Love the Rainbow! Wish there were still one around, but four R-4360s would require 224 spark plugs! That alone means it would never fly much! And if it did and the stupid pilot fouled the plugs, it would be all over! I'd chain him to the plane until the plugs were changed ... by HIM.

I would love their to be one still around, but they only built two.

The first had a landing accident and was damaged, but was soon was under repair. Not sure what happened with that one.

The second one was destroyed in a crash when the left inboard nacelle exploded.

#25 Ricky

Ricky

• Moderators
  • 2,969 posts
  • Joined 14 Years, 6 Months
  • 138 topics

Posted 30 December 2016 - 05:24 PM

Victor/Vulcan - I used to think that the Victor wings were designed in the following way...

Take a sheet of paper. Cut out the Vulcan wing shape. What is left over is the Victor wing ;)

#26 curmudgeon

curmudgeon

• Forum Guru
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,046 posts
  • Joined 14 Years, 7 Months
  • 26 topics

Posted 02 January 2017 - 10:28 PM

Victor/Vulcan - I used to think that the Victor wings were designed in the following way...

Take a sheet of paper. Cut out the Vulcan wing shape. What is left over is the Victor wing ;)

There's a Youtube video of Handley Page describing the design development ... the aerodynamicists were really having fun after the introduction of the jet engine.

• Armand likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users