• Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Steam Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Photo
- - - - -

I Support the Republicans!

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#11 GregP

GregP

Forum Guru

• Forum Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,295 posts
  • Joined 14 Years, 2 Months and 23 Days
  • 224 topics

Posted 06 September 2016 - 09:39 AM

Altogether a very neat aircraft, and MUCH more capable than almost anyone outside the RAF realized.

• Mercman likes this

#12 Mercman

Mercman

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts
  • Joined 1 Year, 2 Months and 24 Days
  • 1 topics

Posted 06 September 2016 - 09:45 AM

You can almost perceive the traces of Germanic design ancestry in the Victor, its wing for sure, 

& its flightcrew arrangements seem a bit Do 217 like.. ( or Hampden,  even perhaps?)

Agreed on the effectiveness too Greg, check that dump being unloaded..

Nov-14_Web-5.jpg

Edited by Mercman, 06 September 2016 - 09:56 AM.

#13 GregP

GregP

Forum Guru

• Forum Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,295 posts
  • 224 topics

Posted 08 September 2016 - 07:30 PM

I'd say somebody on the ground is going to have a bad day ...

Interesting bomb ballistics. I wonder how much they'll spread out before impact.

#14 CORSNING

CORSNING

Forum Guru

• Forum Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,648 posts
  • Joined 4 Years, 4 Months and 4 Days
  • 186 topics
  • LocationClyde, Ohio, USA

Posted 09 September 2016 - 11:27 PM

Greg,

You have my permission to stand at ground ZERO to check that answer out. I

on the other hand am in the fastest vehicle I can find and heading for the hills. :)  :lol:

#15 Romantic Technofreak

Romantic Technofreak

GOT Custodian

• Forum Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,050 posts
  • Joined 14 Years and 17 Days
  • 297 topics

Posted 28 December 2016 - 07:24 PM

Well, Greg, I can be quiet for some time, but I won't forget some score still to be outstanding... :angry: :o B)

We all know the Blohm & Voss BV 141 is not the most beautiful plane ever. But I am absolutely sure about ONE THING:

If you would have a sample of it in the Chino Museum - the same for Jeff if he had a Curtiss A-8 Shrike in the Dayton or in the Port Clinton Museum - you would bend your knee before it and pray! No, I am not talking about idolatry. You would pray to God in thank that you have such a crowd puller in your museum!!! :P ;) :D

The designer should have been dipped in applesauce and staked out over an anthill and his name should have been stricken from the list of names for future aircraft designers for a period not less than a decade or so.

You can joke on aicraft and their creators as much as you please. But you should admit the facts. Richard Vogt was not from Hamburg, he comes from a town not too far from my hometown (surely you mean that allows to draw some parallels... :P). He spent some time in Japan at Kawasaki's and became a teacher of Takako Doi, who created the Ki-61, go figure. After the war, who, with others, was grabbed by the Americans and brought to the USA (Operation Paperclip) and spent a honored scientific life there? Richard Vogt! He worked in Dayton and at Boeing's!

Also, the next asymmetric thing after the BV 141, which made it to the air, as much as I know, was the Rutan Boomerang, created by a renowned American genius, Burt Rutan!

So if a BV 141 flew over while you were having that (? which, RT) meal, you could at least ignore it with some level of pleasure.

Assume an American family not too far from Chino sitting outside and eating on a sunny day and a BV 141 comes buzzing over them on its transfer flight to Chino airport. First thing is they mean an aircraft broke up in mid-air and they desperatly scan the sky for the other parts to come along. Second, they read in the newspaper that Chino has a new attraction. Third, the following weekend they go there to see that crowd puller!

At least they invented apple strudel, Sauerbraten, and German red cabbage.

OK, I have to admit, if there is a restaurant in or near the Chino Museum which offers German dishes, the fourth thing the American family may do is to study the menu with a bit of reluctance... :huh: :)

Regards, RT

#16 CORSNING

CORSNING

Forum Guru

• Forum Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,648 posts
  • 186 topics

Posted 28 December 2016 - 08:12 PM

I don't know all the who-do about this thread but RT mentioned the A-8 Shrike. Yes, that

is cool. But if you want to get me to jump off of my seat, get dressed and head to the

museum in Port Clinton on a work night, all you have to do is roll out a CW-21 or maybe

a P-66. Did I mention a Yak-9 or Tempest V? A Ta-152 or Do.335 would do it. A good

old Gladiator or Hawk III would do it also. The only dive bomber I know of that would

get me extremely excited is the North American A-27,....maybe the Douglas A-24. :)

#17 Ricky

Ricky

• Moderators
  • 2,985 posts
  • Joined 14 Years, 9 Months and 6 Days
  • 138 topics

Posted 28 December 2016 - 09:08 PM

I would like to say that I don't find the bv141 ugly. The cockpit glazing could be better, though.

#18 CORSNING

CORSNING

Forum Guru

• Forum Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,648 posts
  • 186 topics

Posted 28 December 2016 - 09:27 PM

Bv 141 ugly? No, never.....a little lopsided with a limp maybe. Or even off centered with one

engine nacelle misplaced sort of. Then there is that 1/2 (37 percent actually) of elevator

missing...but ugly? NEVER...well sort of, kind of....naw its not ug...well...I don't know.? :unsure:

#19 Rick65

Rick65

Registered Member

• Regulars
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
  • Joined 5 Years, 11 Months and 2 Days
  • 1 topics
  • LocationPerth, Western Australia

Posted 29 December 2016 - 12:44 AM

Getting back to the original topic, for me the Rainbow is great looking until you hit the tail.

I don't like the look of planes with too much tail dihedral and the fin shape looks like the last bit of a bar of soap.

Other transition planes suffer the same problem where the tail doesn't match the design of the rest of the plane, the B-29 a bit, the jet Comet a lot.

Then you have the reverse like the Ilyushin Il-28 with a straight wing and a highly swept tail.

#20 GregP

GregP

Forum Guru

• Forum Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,295 posts
  • 224 topics

Posted 29 December 2016 - 03:40 AM

The BV 141 looks like it should fly in a big right-hand circle, so we can  undewrstand why the cockpit is on the left ... so they can see the inside of the turn!

If they fly inverted, they could, with some difficulties, reverse course. Ha, ha, ha ....

From all reports it flew OK, but I look at it like the British Baracuda ... a brilliant pilot-repulsion device. Almost as disgusting as a Roc or a Skua ... or evena Bell Airacuda. Well, not as funny-looking as an Airacuda maybe.

Yes, if we had one at the museum, I'd love to work on it. But I'd need plans so I wouldnt try to "fix" things.

Love the Rainbow! Wish there were still one around, but four R-4360s would require 224 spark plugs! That alone means it would never fly much! And if it did and the stupid pilot fouled the plugs, it would be all over! I'd chain him to the plane until the plugs were changed ... by HIM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users