• Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Steam Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Photo
- - - - -

I Support the Republicans!

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Romantic Technofreak

Romantic Technofreak

GOT Custodian

• Forum Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,021 posts
  • Joined 13 Years, 10 Months and 19 Days
  • 295 topics

Posted 05 September 2016 - 06:31 PM

Well, who couldn't when looking at this picture?! (from vintageairphotos.blogspot.de)

3063336262336231.jpg

OK, I admit I would support the Democrats as well were there an aircraft firm named "Democracy". It is not my fault if there is none! :)

Regards, RT

• Wuzak and Heräkulman Ruhtinas like this

#2 Armand

Armand

About the same age as another old Fokker: The F-27

• Forum Guru
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,636 posts
  • Joined 3 Years, 8 Months and 7 Days
  • 111 topics
  • LocationAbout 20 nm east of BLL

Posted 05 September 2016 - 07:42 PM

Seemingly the major supporter of the Republicans is a tripod ;-)

Edited by Armand, 05 September 2016 - 08:11 PM.

#3 CORSNING

CORSNING

Forum Guru

• Forum Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,617 posts
  • Joined 4 Years, 2 Months and 6 Days
  • 184 topics
  • LocationClyde, Ohio, USA

Posted 05 September 2016 - 09:00 PM

:rolleyes:  :huh:  B) Donny Trump huh? If he doesn''t piss off the North Koreans, Chinese or Russian in his term,

I am quite sure he will piss off someone else. Right now, I am wondering if that is a good thing or not.

The only thing I KNOW for absolute sure is the entire world will be entertained during his entire reign.

I am thinking strongly about voting for him simply for the entertainment. :)

Edited by CORSNING, 05 September 2016 - 09:05 PM.

#4 CORSNING

CORSNING

Forum Guru

• Forum Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,617 posts
  • Joined 4 Years, 2 Months and 6 Days
  • 184 topics
  • LocationClyde, Ohio, USA

Posted 05 September 2016 - 09:04 PM

Way to go RT, let's just open the biggest can of worms we can find on the shelf!  :rolleyes: :unsure:  :blink:  :wacko:

You, absolutely without any doubt get the D.A. award on the 9th of September 2016 my man.!

Edited by CORSNING, 05 September 2016 - 09:10 PM.

#5 GregP

GregP

Forum Guru

• Forum Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,250 posts
  • Joined 14 Years and 25 Days
  • 224 topics

Posted 05 September 2016 - 11:37 PM

Love the Rainbow but didn't really like the Seabee until they turned it into a twin and a turboprop. Of the two, I think the turboprop performs better but the water handling with 2 props might sway the vote.

Republic_SeaBee_(N123BR).jpg

and the turbine Seabee.

seahornetPT6-01-740.jpg

#6 Wuzak

Wuzak

Forum Guru

• Forum Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,935 posts
  • Joined 12 Years, 4 Months and 25 Days
  • 159 topics

Posted 06 September 2016 - 12:03 AM

Do you think the Rainbow makes the P-47 look dated?

#7 GregP

GregP

Forum Guru

• Forum Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,250 posts
  • 224 topics

Posted 06 September 2016 - 02:48 AM

I don't, but that is likely in the eye of the beholder.

I've seen the turbo system that goes into a P-47, and the systems in the Thunderbolts are second to none in WWII. The Rainbow breaks no new ground technologically. It's major advancements were aerodynamic in engine packaging. I believe the cockpit and general equipment were pure WWII. I could be mistaken there as I have not researched it.

But I DO think the Rainbow was probably the most aesthetically beautiful large, 4-engine piston aircraft ever built. Again, that's depends on who is looking at it, I'd suppose. But what do I know? My favorite fighter of the era, looks-wise, is the A6M5 Model 52 Zero. So, there you go.

I still say, "If it is weird it is British; if it is ugly it is French; and if it is weird and ugly it is Soviet." I believe most of the odd developments of the various countries fit that pretty well. That being said, the Spitfire, Mosquito, and Hornet (among others) fall into the beautiful category, not the weird category. Just goes to show you that general statements aren't really true all the time.

I realized the Barracuda fits "weird and ugly" but isn't Soviet, so maybe the theory is blown. Then I remembered the Blohm und Voss company and decided the entire theory needs to be revised to account for the Germans.

At least they invented apple strudel, Sauerbraten, and German red cabbage. That makes up for the BV 141, at least in part. So if a BV 141 flew over while you were having that meal, you could at least ignore it with some level of pleasure. Otherwise, it seriously demanded to be shot down somehow as an offense against aviation designers everywhere. The designer should have been dipped in applesauce and staked out over an anthill and his name should have been stricken from the list of names for future aircraft designers for a period not less than a decade or so.

#8 Mercman

Mercman

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts
  • Joined 1 Year and 26 Days
  • 1 topics

Posted 06 September 2016 - 03:20 AM

The Handley-Page Hermes was a quite well proportioned British 4-engine from the same era.

RO138.jpg

Cruised at 270 mph/20,000ft with 350 mph max on its four 2,100 hp Bristol Hercules. 

• GregP likes this

#9 GregP

GregP

Forum Guru

• Forum Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,250 posts
  • 224 topics

Posted 06 September 2016 - 03:55 AM

I was a big fan of the Handley-Page Herald.

handley-page-herald-03.jpg

Turboprop and pretty decent short-field capability, too. Nobody bought it.

It was the last Handley Page aircraft, unfortunately. They were good and it is a shame they "went away" as a company.

#10 Mercman

Mercman

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts
  • Joined 1 Year and 26 Days
  • 1 topics

Posted 06 September 2016 - 09:33 AM

I agree Greg, I was impressed by the futuristic look of the H-P Victor back when I was a kid,

& I still am really, that sleek. organic, almost shark-ray like look still looks mean, IMO.

Nov-14_Web-3.jpg

• GregP likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users