• Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Steam Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Photo
- - - - -

Hello!

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Staghound

Staghound

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Joined 1 Year, 3 Months and 16 Days
  • 1 topics

Posted 28 August 2016 - 06:10 PM

Hi, Thanks for the welcome to the group. Lifelong interest in the HP Hampden and all early war British aircraft and Bomber Command in general. Years spent as a youth digging crash sites but now just researching the HP52.

I am particuarly looking for lists of Modifications to the Hamden. Years ago I had a list but this seems to have disappeared!! I have a lot of Brush repair reports and would like to go through the mods lists to see what Mods were being added at different stages during the war. Also looking for Bomber OTU syllabus (syllabus's?) to assist in working out what crews were being taught when.

#2 Chino Kid

Chino Kid

Advanced Member

• Regulars
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  • Joined 1 Year, 5 Months and 22 Days
  • 9 topics

Posted 28 August 2016 - 06:39 PM

Hello, Staghound. No idea about the Hampden but I'm sure you will get a vigorous welcome here no matter...as I did. Great to have you along.

Edited by Chino Kid, 28 August 2016 - 10:13 PM.

#3 CORSNING

CORSNING

Forum Guru

• Forum Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,664 posts
  • Joined 4 Years, 4 Months and 24 Days
  • 187 topics
  • LocationClyde, Ohio, USA

Posted 28 August 2016 - 06:53 PM

Staghound,

Welcome to the site. I hope you have a great time here. :)

Hampden? I don't know at this time. I am a fighter aircraft type of guy, but I will look around.

Good luck and God speed on your quest, Jeff.

#4 CORSNING

CORSNING

Forum Guru

• Forum Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,664 posts
  • 187 topics

Posted 28 August 2016 - 07:08 PM

Staghound,

I just dug through my books (which means I glanced over my bookshelf where I keep my aircraft books).

I found; Famous Bombers of the Second World War (Doubleday) by William Green. Second Edition Revised.

......Copyright, 1959, 1960, 1975. All rights reserved. Printed in Great Britain by the way.

As I said, I study fighters not bombers normally. The H.P.52 looks more like a French design than a British

one. Well anyway, there are eight pages in this book devoted to the evolution of the Hampden with pictures.

On page 242 there are seven line drawn side views of the aircraft's evolution. I imagine you already have

this book and several others at this time.

#5 CORSNING

CORSNING

Forum Guru

• Forum Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,664 posts
  • 187 topics

Posted 28 August 2016 - 07:16 PM

http://www.forcedlan...F024-AE436.html

#6 Armand

Armand

About the same age as another old Fokker: The F-27

• Forum Guru
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,667 posts
  • Joined 3 Years, 10 Months and 25 Days
  • 113 topics
  • LocationAbout 20 nm east of BLL

Posted 28 August 2016 - 07:59 PM

This Hampden interrest sounds like You might be British.
In case. You might be the nearest(*) to explain the previous use of the word 'Concentration camp' as used to the picture in the recent posting: "3 weeks before WW1"!?
(*): As it doesn't seem to Me that there are active Brits among us!? But any are urged to give it a shot!

#7 Ricky

Ricky

• Moderators
  • 2,988 posts
  • Joined 14 Years, 9 Months and 23 Days
  • 138 topics

Posted 28 August 2016 - 08:49 PM

I am an active Brit! A Concentration Camp is purely somewhere where you gather a group of similar things together - concentrating them. This is the same reason behind the name of the infamous Nazi camps, only they were concentrating groups of people they didn't like.

Even that use was pioneered by the British, with Boer civilians in the Boer War, in an effort to remove the support base of the guerilla Boers. Sadly the camp conditions were awful, but more due to ineptitude than malice.
  • CORSNING and Armand like this

#8 Ricky

Ricky

• Moderators
  • 2,988 posts
  • Joined 14 Years, 9 Months and 23 Days
  • 138 topics

Posted 28 August 2016 - 08:52 PM

Back on topic - welcome Staghound! The Hampden has always been a bit of a favourite of mine, looks good, nimble, but so narrow the average RAF moustache would barely fit  ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users