• Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Steam Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Photo
- - - - -

Introduction and Advice...

Plane wreck scuba Subic Bay Philippines aircraft Torpedo bomber WW2 Japanese

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Paul Birdseye

Paul Birdseye

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Joined 1 Year, 5 Months and 12 Days
  • 1 topics

Posted 30 June 2016 - 07:30 AM

Hello All:

My name is Paul Birdseye... Retired British Expat living in the Philippines..I am a keen SCUBA diver and often dive with Johan out of Johan's Dive Resort on Baloy Beach, Subic Bay. Johan scans with a small side-scan sonar and my buddy Chris and I dive and document any interesting hits... I was one of the three divers who "found" the AD-5Q Skyraider a couple of years back. (A once in a lifetime experience, or so I thought.) That site has since been well documented and frequently dived by Johan's and other center's here in Subic.   A few weeks back Chris and I found what I believe to be a Japanese Torpedo Bomber...It is very confusing... it's upside down and I can't see any wheels (but maybe I'm looking in the wrong place.) The broad intake on top of the engine looks like an Aichi B7A, but the wings seem too "straight" .. the belly air intake is tapered upwards and looks like a D4Y4 but I'm open to any input.. It might not even be Japanese.... I reached out to Paul T at "J-Hangarspace.jp" and to Justin at "Pacificwrecks.com" and they are looking at the videos I posted.  I have uploaded a couple of "unlisted" video's of the wreck on YouTube...  Could someone advise as to where it would be appropriate to post an inquiry and the links so interested members can take a look?

Thank you.... and I look forward to reading, learning and hearing everyone's ideas.

All the best

Paul B.

#2 Ricky

Ricky

• Moderators
  • 2,988 posts
  • Joined 14 Years, 9 Months and 22 Days
  • 138 topics

Posted 30 June 2016 - 08:07 AM

Hi Paul, could you post a link to those videos

#3 Paul Birdseye

Paul Birdseye

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • 1 topics

Posted 30 June 2016 - 09:58 PM

Thanks for the reply Ricky.... Yes... Here are the links... First vid has a lot of post processing but shows what's there, second vid I had more light and tried to capture features that may help with an ID.

and

Paul

#4 Armand

Armand

About the same age as another old Fokker: The F-27

• Forum Guru
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,667 posts
  • Joined 3 Years, 10 Months and 24 Days
  • 113 topics
  • LocationAbout 20 nm east of BLL

Posted 01 July 2016 - 12:31 AM

Personally I have no idea, however to Me it looks like the chord of the wing is considerable big :-/
For the right afficionado details like the scoop's are fine give-away's, but i think that details from the wings (chord; trellis-design and position of aileron and flaps might be effective details to concentrate of when it comes to reckognizing!
Maybee the material, being steel or aluminium, might likely be a good give-away for the knowing person, hence a small magnet might be a good tool to bring with You :-/
Any wing ought to have a more curved upper side hence the cross-section of the wings, represented by the remaining trellis might show whether the wreck is up-side down or not.
Just my 0,05$!

Edited by Armand, 01 July 2016 - 12:42 AM.

• Paul Birdseye likes this

#5 Chino Kid

Chino Kid

Advanced Member

• Regulars
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  • Joined 1 Year, 5 Months and 21 Days
  • 9 topics

Posted 01 July 2016 - 12:56 AM

Thank you for posting these. Fascinating and mesmerizing to watch.

A couple thoughts:

It appears to have two air scoops, one on what was the top right at the break of the nose and one on the bottom farther back. The bottom one looks to be for an oil cooler or something.

Attached File  upper scoop.jpg   34.73KB   0 downloads

Attached File  Ventral scoop.jpg   24.27KB   0 downloads

The fuselage appears too small to have had a radial engine in front. You called that area the "engine compartment" but are there any indications of an engine? From what I saw those components could have been hydraulics or oil stuff.

There appear to be two pylons on the right wing for mounting bombs or drop tanks.

Attached File  Weapons mount.jpg   36.99KB   0 downloads

Note the similar stabilizers on a modern pylon.

Attached File  Weapons mount Modern.jpg   29.86KB   0 downloads

Is the red color actual paint or an artifact of the seawater?

Very, very interesting. Does anyone see anything else of note or disagree?

• Paul Birdseye likes this

#6 Paul Birdseye

Paul Birdseye

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • 1 topics

Posted 01 July 2016 - 01:21 AM

Armand:  A Magnet... excellent idea, I will get back with the results on that after the next dive in a few days... Will also try to get a better view of what's left of the wing flaps.

Chino Kid: Planning on doing a 40m sweep around the wreck to see if there's any other signs, an engine would be awesome but not holding my breathe. I'm open as to the type of engine and yes most of the bits do look like pumps or valves for hydraulics as you note...  The absence of wheels is confusing to me. Nothing seems to give evidence as to where they (or floats) were mounted.  As for the color's not sure we can trust them... I think they are mostly coral growth and critters... I can find a patch somewhere to brush a little to see if a color becomes more apparent.

I'm pretty confident its upside down as there is no evidence of cockpit or flight controls when looking from above the wreck.

Thank you both so much for your interest.

Paul B

#7 Chino Kid

Chino Kid

Advanced Member

• Regulars
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  • 9 topics

Posted 01 July 2016 - 01:37 AM

This part on the underside of the right wing might possibly be a socket for a formation light.

#8 Armand

Armand

• Forum Guru
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,667 posts
  • 113 topics

Posted 01 July 2016 - 01:53 AM

I'll give it a shot based on the lenght of the chord (= big wing); the lack of wheels and the two scoops on the engine:
Kawanishi H8K flying boat!
Though just at scale-model, this is the best picture I've been able to find wich shows the engine air scoops properly:
http://www.hyperscal...emily72rs_1.htm

#9 Chino Kid

Chino Kid

Advanced Member

• Regulars
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  • 9 topics

Posted 01 July 2016 - 02:01 AM

Attached File  Lamp socket.png   238.8KB   0 downloads

This part on the underside of the right wing might possibly be a socket for a landing light.

Attached Files

#10 Armand

Armand

• Forum Guru
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,667 posts
  • 113 topics

Posted 01 July 2016 - 02:24 AM

More clous for a Kawanishi H8K:
Your video shows "hole where left wing meets fuselage".
Attached File  image.jpeg   99.95KB   0 downloads

For the next dive: Take notice of the row of triangular 'reinforcements' between rear wing and flap!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Plane, wreck, scuba, Subic Bay, Philippines, aircraft, Torpedo bomber, WW2, Japanese

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users