• Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Steam Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Photo
- - - - -

Some Personal Pics from the Old Days

Planes of Fame museum restoration warbird

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#11 Ricky

Ricky

• Moderators
  • 2,969 posts
  • Joined 14 Years, 6 Months
  • 138 topics

Posted 01 July 2016 - 12:07 PM

I'm loving your pictures, and the stories. Thank you sincerely for sharing

#12 Chino Kid

Chino Kid

Advanced Member

• Regulars
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  • Joined 1 Year, 1 Month and 27 Days
  • 9 topics

Posted 01 July 2016 - 01:06 PM

Thank you. It's fun rekindling the memories before they fade too dim.

Here's an Ohka that was displayed in a back room in the museum building. It was small so it fit. That room had displays of cutaway engines and models as well.

Attached File  Ohka.jpg   37.91KB   0 downloads

A few words about the building itself: it had sat empty for years when the museum first moved in.  It was previously a trailer factory and I don’t know what it was prior to that, but it harkened back to when Chino was a WWII training base.

The bathroom (only one) had a trough to pee in and a big circular sink with a foot bar all the way around. When pressed water would spray from a fountain in the middle. 6 or 8 people could use the trough or the sink at once. No privacy. So this building was clearly some sort of training facility. Perhaps a mechanic training building. It was wide open inside with a high ceiling, but no large door. Therefore we had to cut one out of the western wall as mentioned previously.

Over the years that it sat empty pigeons had moved in. I helped shovel mountains of bird sh1t in preparation for the infill. The pigeons really never left, and one of our morning duties was to walk the museum with rag and spray bottle in hand cleaning the crap from whatever was hit since the previous day.

#13 Chino Kid

Chino Kid

Advanced Member

• Regulars
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  • 9 topics

Posted 01 July 2016 - 01:51 PM

OMG I found a pic of me from the old days! There aren't many I was in. I have another of me running up the P-12 but I can't find it.

I forgot about this one.

Attached File  Me (600 x 431).jpg   63.69KB   0 downloads

Anyway this was me working on the SNJ. I had around 100 hours in the L-5 at this point, and wanted to learn to fly the SNJ. (We called it the "Snidge"). At that time it was still in its livery from playing a Val in the filming of "Tora! Tora! Tora!" with a fairing over the rear part of the cockpit and fairings on the landing gear. Jim Maloney told me I could start training in it as soon as I did the work of restoring it to proper SNJ status. I took the pilot's manual home and pored over it at night and by day I worked on the sweet girl by myself.

This photo was taken by a group of Japanese tourists who happened along that day. One presented me with the Bonsai bandana and insisted on a picture of me wearing it next to the airplane. I happily complied but in retrospect I'm sure the picture was more of a joke for the humor of the folks back home. I gave them my address and they posted this snap back to me.

The Convair in the background was freshly arrived from Davis Monthan AFB's boneyard. That trip is another story...

Edited by Chino Kid, 15 July 2016 - 12:27 AM.

• Armand likes this

#14 Chino Kid

Chino Kid

Advanced Member

• Regulars
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  • 9 topics

Posted 02 July 2016 - 03:40 PM

More snaps from the Tallichet compound:

Here's the B-26 again. The blue barrel in the nose was full of rocks to keep the nose down.

Attached File  img021.jpg   61.66KB   0 downloads

In the background is the western end of the Museum building where the aforementioned bathroom was.

I believe the aircraft below is a Bristol Blenhem. Must have been very rare in Southern California :)

Attached File  img022.jpg   66.92KB   2 downloads

This shot shows several other Tallichet aircraft in the compound as well as the size of the WWII era hangar behind it. Tallichet had half that hangar. I am trying to remember who was in the other half. It may have been Ruth Johnson's FBO where I got my pilot's license.

When I arrived the first time at Chino at the age of 14 there were several B-25s parked there left over from the filming of "Catch 22". Here is one of them that remained in the Tallichet collection at the time.

Attached File  img023.jpg   54.15KB   0 downloads

The one below is from the Wikipedia site for the movie. I am sure it was taken at Van Nuys Airport, primarily due to the presence of the aircraft parked behind it (the one with the numbers on the fuselage ending in "X"). In later years I knew its owner and he had a hangar at Van Nuys at the time this was taken. Extra points to anyone who can tell what it is!   :)

https://upload.wikim...4877655203).jpg

#15 Ricky

Ricky

• Moderators
  • 2,969 posts
  • Joined 14 Years, 6 Months
  • 138 topics

Posted 02 July 2016 - 06:50 PM

I believe the aircraft below is a Bristol Blenhem. Must have been very rare in Southern California :)

img022.jpg

I believe you are correct - I wonder where it is now?

#16 Chino Kid

Chino Kid

Advanced Member

• Regulars
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  • 9 topics

Posted 03 July 2016 - 01:07 PM

The pic below is, of course, a Raiden. This one was in fairly good shape but not flyable at the time.

Attached File  Raiden (978 x 699).jpg   91.91KB   0 downloads

This gives you a good sense of the condition of the building back then. The entrance to the museum was a trailer that housed a ticket counter and small gift shop. In the back was Ed Maloney's office. One had to climb up into the trailer, pay your fare, then climb down the other side to enter the Museum grounds. Certainly not handicap compliant! This situation was actually an improvement over what they started with...before we got the trailer I spent my Sundays sitting in a small plywood booth that we positioned next to the open gate. It was much like a child's lemonade stand or Lucy's psychiatric operation in the Charlie Brown cartoons. :)

Below is a B-17 that I recall nothing about. It did not belong to the Museum. It must have been a project of Tallichet or perhaps someone at Aero Sport. I don't know if the tail number is original to the aircraft.

Attached File  img024 (982 x 693).jpg   67.86KB   0 downloads

#17 CORSNING

CORSNING

Forum Guru

• Forum Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,570 posts
  • Joined 4 Years and 29 Days
  • 182 topics
  • LocationClyde, Ohio, USA

Posted 03 July 2016 - 02:15 PM

Bruce,

If the tail number is correct on the B-17G, then the following information comes from:

http://www.joebaughe...als/1944_5.html

44-83663: Converted to TB-17G. Sold to Brazilian AF as 5400. Returned to USAF in June 1968 and loaned

as N47780 to Yesterday's Air Force in Chino, CA in early 1973. In 1978 loaned to Warbird Museum, topeka,

KS and flown to a museum at the Coast Guard station in Clearwater, FL. Museum closed and the plane was

transferred to a museum in Cleveland, OH. In 1987 moved to display at Hill Aerospace Museum, Hill AFB,

Ogden, Utah, wearing colors of 860th BS, 493rd BG based at Debach, Suffork, UK as "Short Bier".

Hill Aerospace Museum, Hill AFB, Ogden, Utaho.jpg

Edited by CORSNING, 05 July 2016 - 09:08 AM.

#18 Armand

Armand

About the same age as another old Fokker: The F-27

• Forum Guru
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,592 posts
  • Joined 3 Years, 6 Months and 30 Days
  • 108 topics
  • LocationAbout 20 nm east of BLL

Posted 03 July 2016 - 03:12 PM

[deleted]

Edited by Armand, 03 July 2016 - 08:40 PM.

• CORSNING likes this

#19 Chino Kid

Chino Kid

Advanced Member

• Regulars
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  • 9 topics

Posted 03 July 2016 - 09:23 PM

Thanks, Corsning, that nails the timeline.

I had forgotten about the name "Yesterday's Air Force" until now but I believe that was the name of Tallichet's operation. In the pic this B-17 is clearly parked in the front of his half of that hanger.

Again,I really don't know what he did with those planes. He was never open to the public while I was there. It wasn't a museum...just a holding ground for his personal collection, really. And stuff just seemed to come and go.

I am absolutely amazed now realizing just how much we were all surrounded and steeped in warbirds of all kinds at Chino in those days. It truly was a kind of golden age for a kid like me.

#20 Armand

Armand

About the same age as another old Fokker: The F-27

• Forum Guru
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,592 posts
  • Joined 3 Years, 6 Months and 30 Days
  • 108 topics
  • LocationAbout 20 nm east of BLL

Posted 03 July 2016 - 09:41 PM

Again,I really don't know what he did with those planes. He was never open to the public while I was there. It wasn't a museum...just a holding ground for his personal collection, really. And stuff just seemed to come and go.

Strange things happens!
http://youtu.be/wLNZd0SMcFY at 7:37 onwards :-o

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Planes of Fame, museum, restoration, warbird

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users