• Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Steam Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Photo
- - - - -

MiG 15 at Rönne airport, Bornholm.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Armand

Armand

About the same age as another old Fokker: The F-27

• Forum Guru
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,665 posts
  • Joined 3 Years, 10 Months and 5 Days
  • 113 topics
  • LocationAbout 20 nm east of BLL

Posted 05 May 2016 - 06:49 PM

Most of us remembers probably the deflection of a Russian MiG-25 pilot to Japan in 1976. However it's not a single incident as several other MiG's have been flewn to NATO ground later as well as earlier.
1953 was a remarkable year as four MiG-15 individually crossed the NATO perimeter. And three of this incidents involved Denmark.

Ultra short geography lesson:
South-east of the southern-most of Sweden and 110 km north of the Polish coast lies the Island Bornholm in the Baltic sea. Though closer to Sweden is Bornholm a part of the Danish kingdom.

This scanned Danish print about the incident might be interresting because of the pictures alone:
http://flymuseum.dk/...15-Bornholm.pdf

In this article, based on the pilot, are the details around the deflection written:
http://www.jareckiva.../frank-jarecki/

Hopefully You'll enjoy!

#2 Kutscha

Kutscha

Forum Guru

• Forum Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,584 posts
  • Joined 12 Years, 10 Months and 23 Days
  • 117 topics

Posted 05 May 2016 - 08:08 PM

Polish MiG in the links and one tough a/c to land in a cow pasture.

#3 GregP

GregP

Forum Guru

• Forum Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,295 posts
  • Joined 14 Years, 2 Months and 23 Days
  • 224 topics

Posted 06 May 2016 - 02:52 AM

And here I thought they usually used cow pastures for temporary aerodromes ... silly me.  :)

#4 Armand

Armand

• Forum Guru
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,665 posts
  • 113 topics

Posted 06 May 2016 - 08:44 AM

We are talking about eight Years after the war. How many airbases had got paved at that time?
RDAF had Spitfires; Thunderjets; Meteors and C47/54's, and national civil flight was almost not existing - Except for the distant Island of Bornholm and flewn with DC-3's, hence grass would do the job and though on hardened base would the limited traffic probably not wear the grass down :-/
It was paved in 1956 in the favour of Convair Metropolitan's of national flight.
I've found this split-airphoto showing 1954 ie today: As shown here the pavement ends where the early pasture ended.
Attached File  image.jpeg   48.73KB   1 downloads

Edited by Armand, 06 May 2016 - 08:58 AM.

#5 Armand

Armand

• Forum Guru
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,665 posts
  • 113 topics

Posted 06 May 2016 - 09:02 AM

In my posting: Spitfires flewn in wildness, there is mentioned that occationally in late 40's, when the airstrips was too wet and soft, did the pilots use the taxiways between the hangars to take-off and land :-o

#6 Romantic Technofreak

Romantic Technofreak

GOT Custodian

• Forum Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,050 posts
  • Joined 14 Years and 17 Days
  • 297 topics

Posted 06 May 2016 - 09:23 AM

I heard Eastern pilots were told there were a big NATO airbase on Bornholm. But there was (is) nothing. I wonder why the Eastern pilots were wrong. I f I had anything to say in the NATO, I would have established such an  airbase, I mean Bornholm is an ideal location.

Regards, RT

#7 Armand

Armand

• Forum Guru
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,665 posts
  • 113 topics

Posted 06 May 2016 - 11:17 AM

I heard Eastern pilots were told there were a big NATO airbase on Bornholm. But there was (is) nothing. I wonder why the Eastern pilots were wrong. I f I had anything to say in the NATO, I would have established such an  airbase, I mean Bornholm is an ideal location.

As written in the Jarecki-story:
"Frank had chosen his escape destination of Bornholm, Denmark from remembering a propaganda comic book he had seen years before. He had heard that the island was occupied by Americans. He had no map of Bornholm because the Western Countries were left off their maps. Also Frank had no idea how the Americans would feel about him being a communist fighter pilot........."

Actual RDAF flying over Bornholm was quite restricted due to the protest and personal pressure from the local in-voted parlament-member, one of the biggest landowners on the Island hence almost percieved as Royal in the local community.
Considering the advanced point towards Poland and East Germany, hence the primary aim for RDAF to intercept WAPA airstrike over the Baltic sea, and a long period of Russian occupation after the liberation of the rest of Denmark in '45 (Yesterday, May 5th, was liberationday wich still is celebrated though calmly) this was quite an inconsistent act, however a fact :-o
However, the Island served as a one of the closest outposts of NATO and stood for radar-covering and radio-surveillance of the Baltic and it's southern coast.

A detail of the story is likely that the Danish government feared Polish counteracts and wouldn't let English and American aviation experts touch the MiG. However, they might have 'looked closely over the shoulders of the technichians' and was likely allowed to ask-in for details to be unveiled.
Furthermore there have lately been much talking about clashes between US Navy and Russian fighterplanes in the Baltic. An American base at Bornholm during the cold(est) war would have been considered as even bigger provocation. An American base on the quite confirm area of the small Island would probably be targeted by an initial nuclear strike anyhow :-/
Beside, The position even closer to the coast of neutral Sweden could likely be an argument against an american base
  • Heräkulman Ruhtinas likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users