• Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Steam Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Photo
- - - - -

Dream Car or Favorite Ride.

• Please log in to reply
146 replies to this topic

#1 CORSNING

CORSNING

Forum Guru

• Forum Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,630 posts
  • Joined 4 Years, 2 Months and 30 Days
  • 184 topics
  • LocationClyde, Ohio, USA

Posted 27 January 2016 - 10:05 PM

I'm not talking 1973 Ferrari Daytona or Porsche Carrera GT. I am talking about the obtainable here. 

Very early in 2015 I started looking for possibly my last personal vehicle. My go to work and everything else car. My first semi cool car was a 1966 Olds Cutlass convertible with a 330 cu. in. V8 with 310 hp. gross. In the winter of 1971 I thought it was pretty cool. It was until September 1972 when I headed back to college and past this fly-by-night used car dealership called Nutter's Motors. Right out at the street where everyone could see it was this beautiful ugly maroon colored 1969 Pontiac GTO. The beautiful lines were there, the color wasn't. The black vinyl roof helped though. Black interior with bucket seats. BUCKET SEATS!, I would be riding in style. It did not matter that the automatic transmission was slipping clean into next week. Well, $1,500 dollars later I was the proud owner of a 1960 muscle car that needed a $278 dollar transmission. That was 1972, and it was a great car for the time. It had a 400 cu. in. ram air III engine of 366 hp. (to this day I believe most of that was net horse power). I had it repainted in dark corvette metallic blue (absolutely gorgeous).

(Taking a deep breath), I thoroughly love the car then, BUT NOT NOW. It got 10-11.5 mpg. and had a range of about 200 miles. Uh, no thanks.

I also owned such things a 1968 Corvette 327 cu. in. / 350 hp. convertible and 1969 Buick GS 400 witch also had ram air (10-11 mpg.). Uh, no thanks.

Ok, so that is most of my past (cool) vehicles. I also owned a 1967 Renault Dauphine. 845 cc. and about 33 hp. It was robin egg blue and cool.

There was the 1983 sport-car-cop-come-get-me-red Datsun 280ZX, 19-26 mpg. I owned that for six years. Got hit in the rear end 5 times and was stopped by the law 6 times in that period. I replaced the heater core that lasted one year. I think I am going to pass on that one today also.

OK, now that I have rambled on way past any semblance of intelligence, what is my dream car today? As I said, in 2015 I started looking for my last (fun) personal vehicle. I had become accustom to light vehicles. For the last ten years my go to work car had been a Honda Del Sol. It has the 1.5L / 103 hp. 31-45 mpg. engine. So I was looking for something fairly light (3,100 lbs. or less).

I spent one whole year researching. The candidates came down to the following:

Mitsubishi Eclipse GT-S convertible (my wife was constantly reminding me that I wouldn't be happy with anything that wasn't an open air vehicle.)  She was right by the way. 27 mpg was acceptable but the quality of Mitsubishi used cars was not. My son owned a 1995 Eclipse that he could never keep running. A 1991 3000 GT that had constant problems. And now he owns a Mirage that he had to put twice as much as it was worth into it, however it has been a great vehicle for him since.

WOW am I rambling on or what? I believe my second pick would definitely have been the Toyota Celica GT-S. BUT, it did not come in a convertible or T-tops. I drove one though and it handled like a dream.

All the car reviews I read said THE small performance car to go to was the Acura RSX type S. No open top and it just plain looks like - well judge for yourself.

So what do you do? This could be your last chance. You are 63 years old and probably won't live to see ... how do I know. Everything kept pointing to one vehicle. There was no escaping the obvious.

Light weight (a must), convertible or T-tops (also a must) and fun (great bang-for-the-buck). That was that for me. 2005 supercharged Mini Cooper S convertible!. 24-29.5 mph. and an absolute blast to drive. It doesn't ride like a Mercedes Bens, yeah so? It does tell any corners what and how they will be conquered. 

Wow, I have really rambled on. Did I mention that in 1968 I thoroughly enjoyed driving my mothers 1962 VW Bug? It was red and a blast to drive. It only went about 10 mph. in first gear and didn't even have a gas gauge.

That's it. Time for you all to fill us in on your dream cars past, present and future, Jeff :)

Edited by CORSNING, 28 January 2016 - 10:25 AM.

• no1musclecar likes this

#2 Ricky

Ricky

• Moderators
  • 2,981 posts
  • Joined 14 Years, 8 Months and 1 Day
  • 138 topics

Posted 28 January 2016 - 04:48 PM

My first car was a 1986 Peugeot 205. Great little car, except I bought it in 2004, so it needed regular attention.

Next was a Ford Fiesta Sport, with the funky spotlights on the bumper. Also an old car, it finally died on us.

Then a Ford Focus (1.8 litre, loved the motorway!). Brilliant car, but not very efficient.

Now we have a Skoda Fabia. Actually a very pleasant drive. I also have a Renault Kangoo can for work, which I prefer!

#3 CORSNING

CORSNING

Forum Guru

• Forum Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,630 posts
  • 184 topics

Posted 28 January 2016 - 08:22 PM

Ricky,

I looked up the Skoda Fabia. It is a very light car 2,300 - 2,550 lbs. and suppose to get pretty good gas mileage. AND it should be fairly fun to drive. I read about the Kangaroo also. :rolleyes:  From what I have read it is a little underpowered but can haul a bunch. :)

no1musclecar,

What year was your Mustang Boss 302? I have quite a few car magazines from the 60's, Car and Driver, Road & Track, Auto Trend, Automobile...etc... I very likely have a road testing of that vehicle...?

In case you were interested in a copy, Jeff B)

PS: Guys, in this thread you are allowed a little extra imaginative thinking. If I was rich :rolleyes: my family car would probably be a Jaguar XJR. WOW! I looked up the performance of the 2014: 550 hp. :o, 0-60: 3.9 :o, Standing start quarter mile: 12.2 @ 119 mph. :o That's not a car it is a WW2 advanced trainer. :wacko:

I am just saying, Jeff :)

Edited by CORSNING, 28 January 2016 - 08:47 PM.

• no1musclecar likes this

#4 Armand

Armand

About the same age as another old Fokker: The F-27

• Forum Guru
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,654 posts
  • Joined 3 Years, 9 Months
  • 111 topics
  • LocationAbout 20 nm east of BLL

Posted 28 January 2016 - 10:49 PM

My first car was a 1986 Peugeot 205. Great little car, except I bought it in 2004, so it needed regular attention.

My first car was a 205 too: A '83 or '84 bought when my daughter was born in '88.
I have been driving Peugeot ever since - What might sound impressive, however I'm still wearing on the third (a 206 Hdi (with a 405 in between)). ;-)

My dreamcar have been a De Tomaso Pantera for quite long.

Wishfully next: Volvo C30, though I think there are less place for the canine beast in the back than the rather small 206, and Volvo have discontinued them a pair of years ago too.

What I would buy after a Lotto-win? Sadly my imagination doesn't reach here :-(
And then: I have an affection for straight-six'es wich have become very uncommon, hence maybee a BMW 3-litre D :-/

Lotto-Sidestory:
The until today only Danish winner of the Euro-Jackpot lotteri was a midaged single mom with three teenage kids. Her first thought of spending was on a decent Mercedes, but the salesmen at the local Mercedes dealership totally ignored her presence and she went downtown and bought an used Audi instead ;-)

Edited by Armand, 28 January 2016 - 10:53 PM.

• flying kiwi and CORSNING like this

#5 Kutscha

Kutscha

Forum Guru

• Forum Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,581 posts
  • Joined 12 Years, 9 Months and 18 Days
  • 117 topics

Posted 29 January 2016 - 06:47 PM

dream car https://www.rolls-ro...t-overview.html

C.Ghost_Family_09_Hero_v3.jpg.rr.1920.ME

#6 CORSNING

CORSNING

Forum Guru

• Forum Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,630 posts
  • 184 topics

Posted 29 January 2016 - 07:45 PM

Armand,
I looked up all the Peugeots you mentioned. They all seemed like pretty logical cars to me. If the 205 was a GTi, you probably had some fun involved.

Kutscha,
For most of us there is nothing logical about the Rolls Royce Ghost: $329,325, 563 hp., 15 mpg. city / 20 mpg. highway. HOWEVER, absolutely beautiful piece of machinery, I hope you win the lottery brother. I'll be praying for that, Jeff.

#7 flying kiwi

flying kiwi

• Regulars
  • PipPipPip
  • 679 posts
  • Joined 7 Years, 9 Months and 1 Day
  • 5 topics

Posted 29 January 2016 - 09:45 PM

I am totally happy with my 2004 Mazda 3. Any car is my dream car when my wife is travelling with me. Going to two wheels, I'm toying with the idea of getting a Moto Guzzi V7. Enough power for retirement without killing myself.

• CORSNING and Armand like this

#8 CORSNING

CORSNING

Forum Guru

• Forum Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,630 posts
  • 184 topics

Posted 29 January 2016 - 10:17 PM

Mazda 3 is a great vehicle.

#9 Ricky

Ricky

• Moderators
  • 2,981 posts
  • 138 topics

Posted 29 January 2016 - 11:10 PM

I read about the Kangaroo also. :rolleyes: From what I have read it is a little underpowered but can haul a bunch. :)

Spot on. Great driving round town with a full load in the back, but takes forever to get up to 60mph

Dream car? Either a Series 2 Land Rover or a Triumph Spitfire. Given this forum I guess it should be the latter :)
  • Armand likes this

#10 Ricky

Ricky

• Moderators
  • 2,981 posts
  • 138 topics

Posted 29 January 2016 - 11:13 PM

By the way Mr Musclecar, please do let us know if you get an answer

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users