• Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Steam Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Photo
- - - - -

The first jet-propelled night fighters

Me262 Messerschmitt Luftwaffe Night Fighter

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#11 curmudgeon

curmudgeon

• Forum Guru
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,059 posts
  • Joined 14 Years, 10 Months and 26 Days
  • 29 topics

Posted 12 December 2015 - 10:59 PM

Tail-warners can be of two types - active and passive. In the case of the nightfighter Mosquitos they had active radar and many interceptions began with skirt-dragging, full power and a 360 degree turn to get behind the nightfighter intercepting them. The original intruder radars had a strong rearwards lobe, the centimetric radars lacked this and a second radar was placed in the tail, the operator switching from one to the other at intervals. I expect it is in Rory Chisholm's book (he ended in charge of nightfighter intruders in 100Gp ... some stuff is in the section on the immediate postwar interogation of Luftwaffe nightfighting pilots and technicians)..

Monica was a menace, as was running H2S on the way in. This is considered in detail in one of RV Jones' books. Lindeman demanded use of H2S for bombing when centimetric radar should have been used in the anti U-boat campaign. The RAF compounded the error by flying it experimentally, with the inevitable shoot down and recovery of 'the Rotterdam apparatus', allowing countermeasures to be developed.

#12 Heräkulman Ruhtinas

Heräkulman Ruhtinas

Advanced Member

• Regulars
  • PipPipPip
  • 327 posts
  • Joined 2 Years, 4 Months and 23 Days
  • 12 topics
  • LocationRiga, Latvia

Posted 13 December 2015 - 05:08 PM

Now, this goes a bit to "tinfoil hat territory" but wasn't there something that the British Bomber Command was using in 1941 - 1942 that in effect was a transmitter which multiplied the radar echo of the bomber, called something like "Shield" or "Cover"?

That caused ofc the German air defences to concentrate on these planes, letting other ones go through.

-<HR>-

Heräkulman Ruhtinas

Prince of Heräkulma

#13 curmudgeon

curmudgeon

• Forum Guru
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,059 posts
  • Joined 14 Years, 10 Months and 26 Days
  • 29 topics

Posted 15 December 2015 - 12:50 AM

check out Moonshine and Mandrel ...

wrt Mosquito/Me262 above

Roderick Chisholm 1953 Cover of Darkness

p136 - original installation of rear-looking radar in Mosquiti tail. p153 use of same.

p212 - conversation with Me262 nightfighter pilot wrt interception of embedded Mosquito nightfighter with tailwarner

I read (in the famous somewhere resource) the Mosquito bombers were able to maintain 400mph from Berlin to England by using a shallow dive, starting at 30,000ft.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Me262, Messerschmitt, Luftwaffe, Night Fighter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users