• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Steam Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Photo
- - - - -

Surface To Air Missiles

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#31 Armand

Armand

About the same age as another old Fokker: The F-27

• Forum Guru
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,411 posts
  • Joined 3 Years, 1 Month and 7 Days
  • 104 topics
  • LocationAbout 20 nm east of BLL

Posted 04 October 2015 - 06:37 PM

Curmudgeon: TNX for the detail and mentioning the Thunderbird of wich I wasn't aware!
Reading on the subj. It shows that as the Thunderbird was the more mobile solution for the army, and that Royal Navy had their version: The Sea-Slug missile, with spec's much like the Thunderbird.
Picture-surfing seems to reveal that the main body of the Bloodhound had fin's/planes in only one plane, where the smaller versions had fin's in X-plane. Hence, to my relief, the pictured is indeed a Bloodhound!
[and yet I've found pictures of 'just wing' Bloodhounds too, without being able to find the difference described - Probably it's the primary MK.1 wich had four midship stabilizors in a X :-/ ]

I have been impressed by following details of acceleration of the Bloodhound, wich presumably is representative for most SAM's:
"By the time the missile has just cleared the launcher it is doing 400 mph. By the time the missile is 25 feet from the launcher it has reached the speed of sound (around 720 mph). Three seconds after launch, as the four boost rockets fall away, it has reached Mach 2.5 which is roughly 1,800 mph" :-o

Edited by Armand, 14 October 2015 - 09:16 PM.

#32 Armand

Armand

• Forum Guru
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,411 posts
  • 104 topics

Posted 14 October 2015 - 08:59 PM

A Nike-Ajax in front of the all mighty Nike-Hercules!
Location: 'Hangar 46 exibition', Airbase Værløse north to Copenhagen. Wich is a military exibition under the Danish National Museum.
Photographer: Uffe R. B. Andersen.
Attached File  image.jpg   185.34KB   0 downloads

#33 Armand

Armand

• Forum Guru
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,411 posts
  • 104 topics

Posted 30 December 2015 - 07:18 PM

From 1965 through all of 1966 ,nearly all of the 48 U.S. Jet aircraft shot down by SAMs over North VIetnam were downed by Soviet Missilemen...........By the end of the Vietnam War ,approximately 205 Aicraft had been lost to North Vietnamese Surface -To-Air-Missiles.
Keith......

. . . . . . And the interceptor a/c became suddenly negible, wich is to see as the major interceptors were designed before the mid-60's :-o

#34 Armand

Armand

• Forum Guru
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,411 posts
  • 104 topics

Posted 30 December 2015 - 07:44 PM

Twisting the subject to include AA's:
The pre war Danish Nimbus motorcycle and sidecar, attached with the 20mm Danish Madsen machine cannon!
The vehicle was mainly ment to be deployed against armed vehicles and showed to be hard to the panzers of the invading German forces in spring 1940 (wich obviously wasn't Tiger Tanks at the time), however the affutage could be rised for AA use too!

2ly4gmv.jpg

fp6oeh.jpg

#35 CORSNING

CORSNING

Forum Guru

• Forum Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,146 posts
  • Joined 3 Years, 7 Months and 6 Days
  • 169 topics
  • LocationClyde, Ohio, USA

Posted 30 December 2015 - 09:33 PM

Yep, that's what I would invision Armand's cycle looking like.  Only I think he would add duel exhaust. And then he would add a gel soft seat because we older guys are tired of sitting on oak wood benches. I can picture Armand chopping it a little bit and adding another gun on the left side (probably a Vulcan from an A-10). Watch out everybody, the surface to air or surface to surface aggression territory has just been taken over by the European master mind, Armand. :o 

#36 Armand

Armand

• Forum Guru
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,411 posts
  • 104 topics

Posted 14 February 2017 - 07:38 PM

POST WAR DEVELOPMENTS

From 1965 through all of 1966 ,nearly all of the 48 U.S. Jet aircraft shot down by SAMs over North VIetnam were downed by Soviet Missilemen.During the course of the air defence of Norh Vietnam ,one Russian SAM operator,Lieutenent Vadim Petrovich Shcherbakov,was credited with destroying 12 U.S. Aircraft from 20 engagements :TheSoviet Union supplied 7,658 SAMs to North Vietnam,and their defence forces conducted about 5.800 launches,usually in multiples of 3.By the end of the Vietnam War ,approximately 205 Aicraft had been lost to North Vietnamese Surface -To-Air-Missiles.
Keith......

I came past this numbers:

1965: 194 SAM launches. 11 US aircraft lost, a launch/hit ratio of 5.7%. In other words for every 1 downed aircraft it took over 17 missiles to register a hit.

1966: 1,966 SAM launches. 31 US aircraft lost, a launch/hit ratio of 1.2%. 63 missiles for every one hit.

1967: 3,202 SAM launches. 96 US aircraft lost, a launch/hit ratio of 3.0%. 33 missiles for every one hit.

1968: 322 SAM launches. 3 US aircraft lost, a launch/hit ratio of 0.9%. 107 missiles for every one hit.

On the infamous FaceBook keeps a video of a F-16 dodging 6 SAM's reappear - Dodging six doesn't seem to be even close to the Vietnam average :-o

#37 flying kiwi

flying kiwi

• Regulars
  • PipPipPip
  • 625 posts
  • Joined 7 Years, 1 Month and 8 Days
  • 5 topics

Posted 15 February 2017 - 11:54 PM

This makes me wonder if any other country's SAMs would have been any better in the 60s and 70s.

Edited by flying kiwi, 16 February 2017 - 02:22 AM.

#38 Armand

Armand

• Forum Guru
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,411 posts
  • 104 topics

Posted 16 February 2017 - 12:06 AM

This makes me wonder if any other countries SAMs would have been any better in the 60s and 70s.

Probably not any SA-2's, wich alledgely still is quite widespread :-o

#39 GregP

GregP

Forum Guru

• Forum Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,187 posts
  • Joined 13 Years, 5 Months and 25 Days
  • 222 topics

Posted 20 February 2017 - 09:18 AM

I worked on the U.S. Navy Standard Missile SM-1, SM-2, and SM-2 ER (Extended Range). I was working at Motorola then and we made the TDD (Target Detecting Device = Proximity Fuze). Got to see several shoot and function. Some never functioned as they were direct hits and so had no opportunity for proximity as "proximity" means a miss.

When they have too many direct hits, it inflates the budget for targets. They WANT the missile to miss and SEE the prox fuze work. That way, if can be studied. Otherwise, all it amounts to is a guidance system test.

This missile is surface-to-surface or surface-to-air. Basically, a multi-Mach unit that is very difficult to avoid. Get one at your nearest U.S. DOD or NATO Defense Surplus Store! Lowes and Home Depot don't carry them anymore ... 

They're right alongside the flashdark (shines dark in the light).  :D

sm-2-blk-iiia-missile-3d-model-obj-3ds-f

RIM-67-Standard-Missile-006.jpg

Go NAVY!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users