• Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Steam Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Photo
- - - - -

German And Allied Aces Ww2

GOTTHREAD

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#51 GregP

GregP

Forum Guru

• Forum Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,283 posts
  • Joined 14 Years, 1 Month and 21 Days
  • 224 topics

Posted 26 August 2015 - 03:49 AM

The thing is, it's not worth arguing over ... the "official" victory tallies are "official" and have been for 70 years.

• Heräkulman Ruhtinas likes this

#52 Heräkulman Ruhtinas

Heräkulman Ruhtinas

Advanced Member

• Regulars
  • PipPipPip
  • 327 posts
  • Joined 2 Years, 3 Months and 1 Day
  • 12 topics
  • LocationRiga, Latvia

Posted 26 August 2015 - 12:22 PM

As per Soviet losses, especially in Winter War, I do not think they could have faked loss reports (forgery of reports was considered high treason in SU, and was quick way to face firing squad), but what they did for sure was that they recorded much more stuff destroyed (for instance, 6 armoured ships destroyed in attack, Finland had 2, neither received a direct hit in the attack) so "attacked" was translated to "destroyed", KIA pilots were credited with ramming kills, battle damaged planes were listed as damaged in training accidents and so on, to make it look more that the performance against enemy is better, even with losses.

-<HR>-

Heräkulman Ruhtinas

Prince of Heräkulma

#53 GregP

GregP

Forum Guru

• Forum Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,283 posts
  • 224 topics

Posted 26 August 2015 - 04:30 PM

I'm not nearly as sure they didn't fake loss reports as you are but it also really doesn't matter.

I'm using the "official" totals.

#54 bearoutwest

bearoutwest

• Regulars
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
  • Joined 12 Years, 9 Months
  • 1 topics

Posted 28 August 2015 - 02:07 AM

Thanks for the two titles, Edgar! Ordered Aces High. Hope it is in better format than some I have seen!

Greg,

Assume you've ordered Aces High (2nd edition) circa-1994 or later re-print.  There was a 1970s-vintage 1st edition, with much less details.  The 2nd edition is pretty much a re-write in content and detailed format.  There is also a Volume 2 of Aces High which contains a number of additional aces and also updated details (it's about 1/3rd of the size of volume 1).

As for format, it's very similar to Frank Olynyk's "Stars & Bars" which deals with US Aces (post-WW1 to Vietnam), with a short pilot bio, followed by a list of the victory claims with footnotes for verification details as available.

Happy factophiling!

...geoff

#55 GregP

GregP

Forum Guru

• Forum Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,283 posts
  • 224 topics

Posted 28 August 2015 - 08:30 AM

Actually, the edition wasn't specified ... it's the internet and if they don't want to tell you something, they won't.

Hope it get the 2nd edition ...

#56 GregP

GregP

Forum Guru

• Forum Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,283 posts
  • 224 topics

Posted 02 September 2015 - 02:47 AM

Over in another forum they just posted the discovery of the first production Me-262 oiff the line.

Funny thing, the serial number was recorded wrong. It was VERY close but off by one digit in about the 3rd or 4th decimal place to the right of the most significant digit. And here we have been talking about accurate loss reports. If they can screw up a serial number, they can screw up the number of losses, too. I found it very funny that the first loss-report wreck dug up in a  LOT of years and identified was recorded wrong.

Nothing much to say, just humorous. I had a good hearty laugh.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: GOTTHREAD

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users