• Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Steam Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Photo
- - - - -

Got: Vl Myrsky

GOTTHREAD

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 Heräkulman Ruhtinas

Heräkulman Ruhtinas

Advanced Member

• Regulars
  • PipPipPip
  • 327 posts
  • Joined 2 Years, 4 Months and 4 Days
  • 12 topics
  • LocationRiga, Latvia

Posted 21 July 2015 - 12:02 PM

From Wiki:

VL Myrsky (English: Storm) was a Finnish World War II fighter, designed by the State Aircraft Factory (Valtion lentokonetehdas) for the Finnish Air Force. The models of the aircraft were Myrsky I, Myrsky II, and Myrsky III.

The preliminary design was made by the aircraft-designer trio Arvo Ylinen (head of the design-bureau), Martti Vainio (aerodynamics), and Torsti Verkkola (structural design). Edward Wegelius was appointed head of the design department of the State Aircraft Factory when Ylinen later moved on to the Helsinki University of Technology in August 1940. VL did not appoint any main constructor to its products, such as the German aircraft manufacturers did.

Due to difficulties obtaining duraluminium, the wings were made out of plywood and the fuselage was metal structure with fabric or plywood coating. The planned Bristol Taurus III engine was not available due to war, so a Pratt & Whitney R-1830 (civil Twin Wasp) was chosen. Availability of this engine was also problematic, so an R-1830-S3C3-G was used for the first prototype and less-powerful SC3-Gs for later prototypes and production fighters. These were bought from German war booty stocks.

The first Myrsky prototype flew on 23 December 1941. The prototype was fully functional, but too heavy. After some modifications they soon had three new prototype aircraft. The test flights showed some structural problems during high-speed tests. All three prototypes were destroyed during test flights; two test pilots died, one was seriously injured.

Series production started in autumn 1942 far before German deliveries of Messerschmitt Bf 109 had begun in 1943. The series production version was called Myrsky II. 47 Myrsky IIs were built and together with the Myrsky I version and Myrsky prototype the production amounted to 51 in all. Although the aircraft met the specifications set for it, it did not fulfill all expectations due to structural problems.

The Myrsky III was ordered in spring 1943, but none were built.

my-20_ksim_pieni.jpg

Versions:
Myrsky
Prototype, 1 built

Myrsky I
Preproduction aircraft, 3 built

Myrsky II
Series-production aircraft, 47 built

Myrsky III
none built

-<HR>-

Heräkulman Ruhtinas

Prince of Heräkulma

#2 Paolo Tagliaferri

Paolo Tagliaferri

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 548 posts
  • Joined 16 Years, 4 Months
  • 142 topics
  • LocationLondon, UK

Posted 21 July 2015 - 12:35 PM

Hi Heräkulman,

welcome to the forums and thanks for your contribution!

Regards,

Paolo Tagliaferri

Board Administrator

#3 Heräkulman Ruhtinas

Heräkulman Ruhtinas

Advanced Member

• Regulars
  • PipPipPip
  • 327 posts
  • 12 topics
  • LocationRiga, Latvia

Posted 21 July 2015 - 12:37 PM

Hi Heräkulman,

welcome to the forums and thanks for your contribution!

Regards,

Thanks. I figured out that the few Finnish types are not covered yet ;) 

-<HR>-

Heräkulman Ruhtinas

Prince of Heräkulma

#4 Romantic Technofreak

Romantic Technofreak

GOT Custodian

• Forum Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,050 posts
  • Joined 14 Years and 18 Days
  • 297 topics

Posted 22 July 2015 - 05:38 AM

Hi Heräkulman,

of course everybody is free to write a GOT topic. But from Greg's start, who gave the idea, we limited the list to beginning letters A - D. I think we get more and more near to the number of 100 GOT topics already written and still no one begins with E and beyond, so the manufacturer "VL" is long time not being planned... that's why you might miss some Finnish types, sorry.

In my opinion, a GOT topic must be something different than a Wikipedia article. It must gather lively information about people involved and historical circumstances too. And it should contain pictures one needs some labor to gather. On the other hand, If I write one I never include technical data, these you can get somewhere else.

For the Myrsky, I found (and improved using XnView) this picture:

1280_6330383834613333.jpg

It is from http://www.ww2aircra...ky-11474-2.html

Regards, RT

#5 Heräkulman Ruhtinas

Heräkulman Ruhtinas

Advanced Member

• Regulars
  • PipPipPip
  • 327 posts
  • 12 topics
  • LocationRiga, Latvia

Posted 22 July 2015 - 07:31 AM

I specifically DID NOT use that pic since this is MOST circulated pic in internet "MY-5" in Härmälä, at VL Factory if I recall right. Regarding pics, "SA-kuva" (Finnish army archives) is now public domain and anyone can use them if not claiming that they are their own, so no exclusive sources ;) less my library but no "rare" ie unpublished pics there either.

I happen to know a few things about this plane and it is bit of interest due to its wooden construction and glue issues. There is also ongoing restoration project and there are even talks of making that a flying one but I do not know if that is a serious plan. Feel free to kill this topic if you feel it infringes your plan.

-<HR>-

Heräkulman Ruhtinas

Prince of Heräkulma

#6 Romantic Technofreak

Romantic Technofreak

GOT Custodian

• Forum Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,050 posts
  • 297 topics

Posted 22 July 2015 - 03:44 PM

Hi Heräkulman,

I specifically DID NOT use that pic since this is MOST circulated pic in internet "MY-5" in Härmälä, at VL Factory if I recall right. Regarding pics, "SA-kuva" (Finnish army archives) is now public domain and anyone can use them if not claiming that they are their own, so no exclusive sources ;) less my library but no "rare" ie unpublished pics there either.

Please consider if we don't focus on the Myrsky we may not know this picture either, at least I did not.

I happen to know a few things about this plane and it is bit of interest due to its wooden construction and glue issues. There is also ongoing restoration project and there are even talks of making that a flying one but I do not know if that is a serious plan.

Well, if there are things you know about this plane and are not easily to retrieve by quick googling, we ask you not to hide them from us!

Feel free to kill this topic if you feel it infringes your plan.

We are very open-minded here. I think besides SPAM nothing ever got deleted. I admit it's a bit of labor to create a good GOT topic, but it's worthwile! I would post more if not common historical work would refrain me from doing so. But the next one is already in the pipeline...

Regards, RT

#7 Heräkulman Ruhtinas

Heräkulman Ruhtinas

Advanced Member

• Regulars
  • PipPipPip
  • 327 posts
  • 12 topics
  • LocationRiga, Latvia

Posted 23 July 2015 - 09:53 AM

Yes the dreaded "5-minute googling" benchmark ;)

Firstly, there is the restoration project http://www.vlmyrsky.fi/ which for me is of great interest and the site has information in english also.

I had a engineering project as part of my engineering studies (10y ago) which was aimed at making a flying model of Myrsky and we did quite a lot of archive digging regarding this. 

We as machine engineering students, had the emphasis on material technology, hence the interest in construction. Also the fact that Finland, as a small and relatively poor nation (3 million ppl, mostly agricultural) could muster a project of this magnitude, even it was "too little too late", is quite interesting!

There are the well documented flutter problems later pinpointed to light construction of tail, overweight and lack of engine power which were all quite common in 30's - 40's era projects.

The plywood issues:

The glue used in making plywood was "Tego-Film", a common plywood adhesive from 1930's, then manufactured by Goldschnitt in Wuppertal, Germany and still in use. Coincidentally, RAF bombed Wuppertal in February 1943 destroying this factory. This affected Ta.154 and He.162 -projects in Germany and in turn the Myrsky development in Finland.

The Tego-Film was replaced by "Kaurit" or Finnish equivalent "Tammer-Film" in plywood production but this was not great solution, since these replacements caused softening, cracking and warping of plywood (there is no records of plywood made with Tammer-film used in Myrsky II but the symptoms are pointing to that). Finland had acquired a large amount of Tego-Film during interim peace (1940-1941) but started to run out of Tego-Film in 1944, and that can be seen as a degradation in quality of plywood in 1944.

The Construction glue issues:

Since 1929 VL had used milk-based casein glue in wing construction. Casein glue was not resistant to weather and it was prone to go bad especially outside and damp conditions. The Myrsky prototype (and Pyry -planes) were succesfully constructed with casein glue (as was DH Mosquito prototype, production planes used synthetic glue), but in production they were forced to move to Kaurit. Kaurit glueing process was much more difficult and needed six times as much pressure applied to seam. Kaurit was also acidic and eating away the wood - but casein glue could not withstand weather. Damned in both ways. It was found out that Kaurit was better suited against weather when applied with right process. 

-<HR>-

Heräkulman Ruhtinas

Prince of Heräkulma

#8 Paolo Tagliaferri

Paolo Tagliaferri

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 548 posts
  • Joined 16 Years, 4 Months
  • 142 topics
  • LocationLondon, UK

Posted 23 July 2015 - 12:15 PM

Small note : as RT says, any good contribution is very welcomed here. If a member is not sure whether they are posting in the correct section, feel free to post it in the generic "World War II" forum ( http://www.warbirdsf...0-world-war-ii/) and then the topic can be always be relocated in the correct forum if necessary. Thanks!

Paolo Tagliaferri

Board Administrator

#9 Romantic Technofreak

Romantic Technofreak

GOT Custodian

• Forum Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,050 posts
  • 297 topics

Posted 25 July 2015 - 03:50 PM

Hi Heräkulman,

thank you very much for all this additional information we probably never got had you not joined here!

It was a nice idea to choose

casein glue

cheese for to agglutinate an aircraft! :) Reminds me to my old idea to create an edible plane. Could be of advantage if the pilot had to perform an emergency landing in an unsettled area and might run out of food before being rescued...

Somebody else from Finland tried to realize this and created an edible Grumman Goose:

http://juhlakuu.fi/e...-aircraft-cake/

Not flyable though :unsure:... Blame Jeff *CORSNING* for me not getting out of the joking mode... :D

Regards, RT

#10 CORSNING

CORSNING

Forum Guru

• Forum Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,649 posts
  • Joined 4 Years, 4 Months and 5 Days
  • 186 topics
  • LocationClyde, Ohio, USA

Posted 25 July 2015 - 10:01 PM

Nice RT. My wife says it is always my fault, now I'm getting that from you guys too. Nice, real nice. :)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: GOTTHREAD

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users