• Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Steam Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Photo
- - - - -

75 Years Ago - The Battle Of Britain

Bob Battle of Britain RAF Luftwaffe 1940

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Paolo Tagliaferri

Paolo Tagliaferri

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 544 posts
  • Joined 15 Years, 9 Months and 5 Days
  • 142 topics
  • LocationLondon, UK

Posted 10 July 2015 - 07:13 PM

10 July 1940 

Unfortunately was in a meeting and I missed the fly past over London this morning ...   :mellow:

Paolo Tagliaferri

Board Administrator

#2 [email protected]

[email protected]

Advanced Member

• Regulars
  • PipPipPip
  • 309 posts
  • Joined 1 Year, 11 Months and 3 Days
  • 18 topics
  • LocationTyne and Wear, United Kingdom

Posted 17 July 2015 - 04:28 PM

Hi Paolo.thanks for the post re the fly past in London ,and the pathe news real,very interesting excellent shot of Spitfire VBs, My local Air museum in Washington had a special open event to mark the 75Th anniversary of the Battle of Britian.75 years ago it was known as Usworth Airodrome, it was a training station for pilots who fought in the conflict.pilots were trained on Avro Ansons, initially and then went on to fly Hurricanes and Spitfires that were also stationed there.Sunderland Air museum has actual plans and aerial maps of what the airfield looked like in 1940, and on aerial map looking down at the airfield you can clearly see Hurricane and Spitfires parked on the airfield along with Ansons.The Airfield although a training squadron did see action as German aircraft came over from Denmark and Norway to attack targets in the North East Of England.Ivisit the museum regularly with my son and I always wonder what life was like back in 1940.After the war the Airodrome was sold off to Sunderland flying club and then the land bought and turned into the Nissan car plant,at least the memories remain of what was once an active war time airfield.Thanks for listening and much appreciated for your thoughts.
Regards Keith.

#3 Paolo Tagliaferri

Paolo Tagliaferri

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 544 posts
  • 142 topics
  • LocationLondon, UK

Posted 18 July 2015 - 11:13 AM

Hi Keith,

is this the museum you are referring to? http://www.nelsam.org.uk/Looks interesting!

Paolo Tagliaferri

Board Administrator

#4 [email protected]

[email protected]

Advanced Member

• Regulars
  • PipPipPip
  • 309 posts
  • 18 topics

Posted 18 July 2015 - 12:29 PM

Hi Paolo,yes that's the one,have been going here for years and have watched it grow from nothing to what it is now, they are still trying to acquire more exhibits ,they have recently started military vehicles, it's not a bad collection at the moment,I'd like to see more planes especially WW2 aircraft.they have one or two full time staff but rely mainly on volunteers to help restore the planes and other statics.its a good little museum nothing like duxford but it's still very interesting to visit and just see first hand how hard these guys work to look after the diaplays.they have another two hangers with restoration projects on going at the moment one in particular is the jet provost trainer which is nearly restored.They have a lightning on display the large Vulcan ,and you can actually get inside both of these exhibits on open days.Anyway been nice to talk to you and thanks for listening,take care all the best.
Regards Keith

#5 Paolo Tagliaferri

Paolo Tagliaferri

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 544 posts
  • 142 topics
  • LocationLondon, UK

Posted 19 July 2015 - 10:29 AM

I'll pay a visit if I am around there at some point!

Just stumbled into these photos - quite amazing!

Paolo Tagliaferri

Board Administrator

#6 [email protected]

[email protected]

Advanced Member

• Regulars
  • PipPipPip
  • 309 posts
  • 18 topics

Posted 19 July 2015 - 03:26 PM

Hi Paolo, photo,s you have posted very interesting thanks for that.If you are in the area,you won't be disappointed ,even though it's small it's very interesting to look around,and they have just completed a new display,pre-war trams both on rails in there own exhibition shed which is quite large in order to house the trams,they also have an excellent gift shop providing a varied choice of both diecast and plastic model kits,also souvenirs of the old airfield its self.My son has got quite a collection after we go there as he comes way with a different model every week,Hope you enjoy your visit at some point.
Cheers .keith.

#7 curmudgeon

curmudgeon

• Forum Guru
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,036 posts
  • Joined 14 Years, 3 Months and 12 Days
  • 25 topics

Posted 20 July 2015 - 07:36 AM

When I was a schoolboy Keith Park occasionally took the same bus as me (he was a city councillor, and they ran the buses). Regret that on the three or four occasions I never could muster the courage to introduce myself to him. Lost opportunity there. I remember he carried a brown calf skin satchell with 'Sir K. Park' in gold on the flap.

• GregP and [email protected] like this

#8 [email protected]

[email protected]

Advanced Member

• Regulars
  • PipPipPip
  • 309 posts
  • 18 topics

Posted 20 July 2015 - 07:07 PM

Hi Greg. That's amazing,interesting post thanks for that.
Cheers Keith .

#9 CORSNING

CORSNING

Forum Guru

• Forum Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,322 posts
  • Joined 3 Years, 9 Months and 10 Days
  • 173 topics
  • LocationClyde, Ohio, USA

Posted 20 July 2015 - 07:19 PM

Uh.......Greg's not here. What did I miss?

#10 [email protected]

[email protected]

Advanced Member

• Regulars
  • PipPipPip
  • 309 posts
  • 18 topics

Posted 21 July 2015 - 07:11 PM

Whoops.... Sorry got the wrong person thought it was Greg ,my apologies .
Regards Keith...

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Bob, Battle of Britain, RAF, Luftwaffe, 1940

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users