• Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Steam Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Photo
- - - - -

Did the Sopwith Triplane Have Flaps?

sopwith triplane

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#11 BSquared18

BSquared18

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Joined 3 Years, 5 Months and 5 Days
  • 1 topics

Posted 02 November 2014 - 03:09 PM

"The Shuttleworth Collection has a Triplane. Have you asked them?"

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll try querying them.

"There is also this board, http://www.theaerodrome.com/forum/ if you haven't tried yet."

Yes, I tried registering a few days ago but got the message that a scammer-detection database they use was down, so I'd have to try again later. Interesting how security tries to keep up with the bad guys. Thanks for the reminder. I'll try them again.

"Did you know that the Triplane had variable stab trim (like on the Bf109)?"

I noticed that feature during my research. Plus and minus two degrees, if I remember correctly. Will have to build that into my model. Probably will have to use the trim-tab feature. I don't think X-Plane has the "flying tail" component; will have to check.

Great discussion, guys. Thanks to all.

Bill

#12 Edgar Brooks

Edgar Brooks

• Regulars
  • PipPipPip
  • 589 posts
  • Joined 6 Years, 1 Month and 5 Days
  • 0 topics

Posted 02 November 2014 - 05:20 PM

At rest, the ailerons were supposed to have 1/2" (12.7mm) droop compared to the trailing edges of the wings.

#13 BSquared18

BSquared18

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • 1 topics

Posted 02 November 2014 - 05:37 PM

Re: "At rest, the ailerons were supposed to have 1/2" (12.7mm) droop compared to the trailing edges of the wings."

Thank you. I hadn't come across that information before. I think I can program that inclination into my model.

You don't happen to know about the degrees up and down for any of the control surfaces, do you? And whether the aileron angles were the same for all three wings?

Bill

#14 Kutscha

Kutscha

Forum Guru

• Forum Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,588 posts
  • Joined 12 Years, 11 Months and 12 Days
  • 118 topics

Posted 02 November 2014 - 05:39 PM

Bill, you don't say where you are from.

There is a company in NZ that builds a flies replica WW1 a/c, http://thevintageavi...ator/contact-us

They have a large collection of original documentation.

#15 BSquared18

BSquared18

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • 1 topics

Posted 02 November 2014 - 06:40 PM

Thanks for the tip. I'll give them a try. (BTW, I live in the States, previously known as the Colonies.)

Bill

#16 Edgar Brooks

Edgar Brooks

• Regulars
  • PipPipPip
  • 589 posts
  • Joined 6 Years, 1 Month and 5 Days
  • 0 topics

Posted 03 November 2014 - 12:18 AM

You don't happen to know about the degrees up and down for any of the control surfaces, do you? And whether the aileron angles were the same for all three wings?

In 1976, in their series of books, the RAF Museum published "British Military Aircraft of World War One," which is a compilation of the rigging notes for 29 airframes, including the Triplane, and, although it has instructions on truing up, plus dimensions of incidence, dihedral, wheel track, bracing wire lengths and stagger, there's no mention of any amount of travel for the control surfaces.

Edited by Edgar Brooks, 03 November 2014 - 12:19 AM.

#17 BSquared18

BSquared18

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • 1 topics

Posted 03 November 2014 - 01:09 AM

While I'm trying to make the model as true to the original as possible, if I can't find the data, I will use numbers based on similar X-Plane models built by other folks.

Also, I'm awaiting delivery of Profile Publications Airplane Magazine #73 The Sopwith Triplane 1965-66, which I ordered on eBay. It may have some information on the subject.

I flight tested the model today in its early form. A lot to do yet, but the initial results look promising.

Bill

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users