• Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Steam Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Photo
- - - - -

Ten largest air to air battles in history

air battles history military aviation

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Paolo Tagliaferri

Paolo Tagliaferri

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 548 posts
  • Joined 16 Years, 2 Months and 28 Days
  • 142 topics
  • LocationLondon, UK

Posted 18 August 2014 - 08:56 AM

Not strictly WWII but a nice info graphic about the largest air battles in aviation history.

(taken from here)

ten-largest-air-to-air-battles-in-milita

Paolo Tagliaferri

Board Administrator

#2 CORSNING

CORSNING

Forum Guru

• Forum Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,634 posts
  • Joined 4 Years, 3 Months and 2 Days
  • 184 topics
  • LocationClyde, Ohio, USA

Posted 18 August 2014 - 01:48 PM

Great information Paolo. Thank you for posting, Jeff.

#3 Kutscha

Kutscha

Forum Guru

• Forum Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts
  • Joined 12 Years, 9 Months and 21 Days
  • 117 topics

Posted 19 August 2014 - 05:01 AM

Interesting but have to question how he sees some of them as the largest air battles. None of the air battles over Germany between the Luftwaffe and the 8th and 15th AFs are not mentioned.

#4 Paolo Tagliaferri

Paolo Tagliaferri

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 548 posts
  • Joined 16 Years, 2 Months and 28 Days
  • 142 topics
  • LocationLondon, UK

Posted 19 August 2014 - 08:43 AM

Yeah...you would expect at least the Schweinfurt raid to show up there...

Paolo Tagliaferri

Board Administrator

#5 Armand

Armand

About the same age as another old Fokker: The F-27

• Forum Guru
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,654 posts
  • Joined 3 Years, 9 Months and 3 Days
  • 111 topics
  • LocationAbout 20 nm east of BLL

Posted 20 August 2014 - 10:18 PM

Bombing raids alone aren't quite battles and the bomber interceptions caused probably not clashes of titanic proportions :-/
Airbattle-time is a question of ammunition and german ammo might have been used quite fast with so many targets. The ME163 is to be considered the conclusion of that: Fast interception and one or two sweeps through the formations before returning!

I'm annoyed that the site doesn't open on my Ipad, hence my PC is four days away :-(

#6 Wuzak

Wuzak

Forum Guru

• Forum Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,935 posts
  • Joined 12 Years, 5 Months and 21 Days
  • 159 topics

Posted 20 August 2014 - 10:40 PM

Some of the 8th AF battles lasted for hours. Raids like Schweinfurt/Regensberg and Schweinfurt II allowed the Luftwaffe to attack over long periods of time, both on ingress and egress, because of the speed of the attack (ie relatively slow) and the depth of the attack. Barely a bomber escaped undamaged, 20% were lost on each occasion, along with several hundred men.

• Armand likes this

#7 Ricky

Ricky

• Moderators
  • 2,982 posts
  • Joined 14 Years, 8 Months and 4 Days
  • 138 topics

Posted 27 August 2014 - 01:01 PM

I'd agree with the view that there are some odd choices in the top ten - such a range, from campaigns taking months and involving thousands of aircraft to operations which lasted less than one day and involved tens of aircraft.

I grant you, any real 'top ten largest' will almost certainly be entirely WW2, as nothing before or since has ever really matched it for scale, and it looks like they were trying to get some variety going, both in terms of date and the type of 'battle'.

As an aside, I was amused by the fact that the Luftwaffe, at Kursk, managed to lose 5000 out of 2792 aircraft. That is quite impressive!

Either reinforcements were not included in the strengths column, or claims were used instead of losses, but surely somebody should have picked that up?

#8 Kutscha

Kutscha

Forum Guru

• Forum Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts
  • Joined 12 Years, 9 Months and 21 Days
  • 117 topics

Posted 27 August 2014 - 01:34 PM

Ricky, the losses are for both nations. Still more than what both nations had. Also the total losses, must have included non operational losses.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: air, battles, history, military, aviation

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users