• Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Steam Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Photo
- - - - -

A passion about military aviation and warbirds

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Warbirds Forum Blog

Warbirds Forum Blog

Warbirds Forum Blog

• Automatons
  • 7 posts
  • Joined 4 Years, 4 Months and 11 Days
  • 7 topics

Posted 11 April 2013 - 11:23 PM

How did you begin to become interested in military aviation and warbirds? It is interesting to get an idea on how everyone has developed a passion for this. Speaking of myself, it began when it was a child. In my home I had several history journals and books focusing on World War Two - I remember preparing an essay in the primary school which was describing some of the events that caused the World War. I did include a section describing the Junkers Ju-87 with some pictures and a brief description on the impact that the plane had during the Blitzkrieg.

Bundesarchiv_Bild_101I-646-5188-17%2C_Fl

Junkers Ju-87 formation - warbirds

Of course at that time I was more interested into the plane in itself and its particular shape, with the wings similar to those of a seagull.

Videogames did also play a part. As a kid, on my PC, I did spend several hours on  Battlehawks 1942 - a game recreating some of the major battles between the US and the Japanese in the Pacific.  Moved on to Battle of Britain and then Secret Weapons of the Luftwaffe. After a while I became quite interested and start reading books about warbirds, but I didn't limit to that as my interest then started ranging to general World War Two history.

The big change came when internet started becoming more accessible and popular. Suddenly it was very easy to search other websites around the topic, and before I knew it I had started putting together some static pages on GeoCities around the most important planes of the war. It was a good way to combine two interests of mine together (web development and history /warbirds).

When I started to learn server side programming (that was ASP back then) I decided that I needed an idea to develop on, and hence tgplanes.com was born. The rest is pretty much history :)

What about you? What is your story and how did you develop your passion for military aviation , warbirds and airplanes in general?

Read the full story on Warbirds Forum Blog

#2 Ricky

Ricky

• Moderators
  • 2,969 posts
  • Joined 14 Years, 6 Months
  • 138 topics

Posted 12 April 2013 - 07:09 AM

My passion started when I discovered 'Biggles' books.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users