• Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Steam Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Photo
- - - - -

Best Nuclear Bomber?

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#21 Pete57

Pete57

• Regulars
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
  • Joined 13 Years, 11 Months and 20 Days
  • 6 topics

Posted 21 January 2013 - 01:45 PM

The survivability of each bomber on a mission, at least until reaching the target, would also be important.

In 1952 the recon versions of three types of nuclear-capable bombers, the NA B-45C, the EE Canberra B.2 and the Boeing B-47B – the only one listed in this thread – performed deep penetration missions of the Soviet Union.

The RB-45C's flew daytime recon-missions, with USAF crews, over the Soviet Far-East and night-recon missions, with RAF crews, over Moscow and the Ukraine.

A Canberra B.2, equipped with a US-made, heated, 8-camera pod in the bomb bay flew another daytime recon mission over the Soviet missile facility at Kapustin Yar, under Operation Ju-Jutsu. The aircraft was damaged by a MiG-15, but managed to reach safety.

A B-47B, also with a camera-pod fitted in the bomb-bay flew another daytime recon mission on the Soviet Far East, flying out of Alaska. MiG-15’s attempted to intercept it, but having been scrambled too late, never managed to reach the bomber, which made good its escape.

I may be wrong, but it seems to me these missions clearly demonstrated the survivability factor – at least in the early fifties – of these three types and, to my knowledge, no other type ever got this close to a ‘real’ Cold-War operational test.

Best regards,

Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media,
which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end -
Quote byTexas A&M Student

#22 USAF Steve

USAF Steve

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • Joined 4 Years, 9 Months and 1 Day
  • 2 topics

Posted 17 April 2013 - 08:47 PM

It almost seems to me that this should be broken down into two lists as these bombers are so different in purpose and design.  I agree survivability is critical to the success of these planes' missions but that's hard to quantify, since you can't just assign a number to it like you can with speed or range.  Based on the different metrics you've listed I'd put the B-36, B-52, TU-95 and Victor in one class and the B-47, B-58, TU-16 and Vulcan in another.   Sort of like WW2 bombers...you don't normally compare B25 and B26 to B17s, 24s and Lancasters since their mission and strengths were so different.

#23 alfaclass1

alfaclass1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Joined 4 Years, 1 Month and 25 Days
  • 0 topics

Posted 23 November 2013 - 10:05 PM

the Lockheed SR-71 Blackbird from New York to London in 1 hour, 54 minutes, 56.4 seconds. The 1,806-mph flight still holds the transatlantic speed record between the two cities. 

#24 hammy627

hammy627

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • Joined 4 Years, 1 Month and 26 Days
  • 2 topics
  • LocationRichmond, CA

Posted 25 November 2013 - 05:24 PM

My favorite cold war bombers were the B-58 Hustler and the Vulcan, for looks alone. The Soviet Tu-22M is a beautiful bird as well. 

An epic cold war movie, "FAILSAFE", was re-made in 2000 with a terrific cast.

I believe the bombers were B-58's that successfully penetrate Soviet airspace. One bomber is all that is needed to destroy Moscow. The resulting political

decision to avoid war is chilling. Watch "Failsafe" if you get a chance. 

#25 flying kiwi

flying kiwi

• Regulars
  • PipPipPip
  • 691 posts
  • Joined 8 Years
  • 5 topics

Posted 27 November 2013 - 06:04 AM

My favorite cold war bombers were the B-58 Hustler and the Vulcan, for looks alone. The Soviet Tu-22M is a beautiful bird as well. 

An epic cold war movie, "FAILSAFE", was re-made in 2000 with a terrific cast.

I believe the bombers were B-58's that successfully penetrate Soviet airspace. One bomber is all that is needed to destroy Moscow. The resulting political

decision to avoid war is chilling. Watch "Failsafe" if you get a chance. 

I enjoyed watching that. Thanks, hammy.

#26 [email protected]

[email protected]

Advanced Member

• Regulars
  • PipPipPip
  • 309 posts
  • Joined 2 Years, 7 Months and 22 Days
  • 18 topics
  • LocationTyne and Wear, United Kingdom

Posted 30 July 2015 - 07:01 PM

The B36, B47 ,and the B52, were all good aircraft ,but my choice would be the Vulcan V Bomber.
Thanks guys, Keith...

#27 Heräkulman Ruhtinas

Heräkulman Ruhtinas

Advanced Member

• Regulars
  • PipPipPip
  • 327 posts
  • Joined 2 Years, 5 Months and 28 Days
  • 12 topics
  • LocationRiga, Latvia

Posted 31 July 2015 - 06:55 AM

Vulcan was the only one of these that could be adapted from high-altitude bombing to low-level interdictor strike. The delivered a good shock in Red Flag in '70's when RAF changed the mission profile and USAF found out that with their current tactics they were almost impossible to catch.

-<HR>-

Heräkulman Ruhtinas

Prince of Heräkulma

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users