• Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Steam Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Photo
- - - - -

Eric Brown's "Duels in the Sky"

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#21 ickysdad

ickysdad

• Regulars
  • PipPipPip
  • 890 posts
  • Joined 14 Years, 4 Months and 5 Days
  • 40 topics

Posted 25 May 2012 - 04:58 AM

Actually the "Jolly Rodgers" were the first to figure out how to use Corsairs on USN CV's it's just that the USN couldn't see,for logistical reasons,to have one CV using Corsairs while the others used F6F's.

#22 GregP

GregP

Forum Guru

• Forum Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,283 posts
  • Joined 14 Years, 1 Month and 21 Days
  • 224 topics

Posted 25 May 2012 - 06:22 AM

Exactly what difference would it make if the planes were operating off separate carriers? The only advantage I can see is logistics ... one set of spare parts. But, you tell me how an operating Corsair could be different from an operating Hellcat if flown from the same carrier ... other than spare parts and trained mechanics.

I volunteer at the Planes of Fame Museum ... and, if you can fix a Hellcat, you can fix a Corsair ... assuming you have a manual. Believe it. We have both and we fix both, not in a combat environment. In fact, we fix them in a very nice environment ... in hangars, with proper tools. We just don't have any parts ... we make them.

Need an inspection hatch? Go get some Aluminum and MAKE one! We do. If parts were available, we'd be MUCH faster!

I am on a team restoring America's first jet, a Bell YP-59A. We made a new sliding canopy from scratch and are working on the windscreen now. When we are done, it will fly when the museum has the money ($50k) to fund the flight test program. If parts were available and if money were no object, we'd be FLYING now ... from any airfield.

What possible difference could it make what carrier you were flying from ... unless you were stationed on a SLOW carrier ... most needed to be able to generate at LEAST 20 - 23 knots and the big ones went 30 knots or more.

Edited by GregP, 25 May 2012 - 06:32 AM.

#23 NeoConShooter

NeoConShooter

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,454 posts
  • Joined 5 Years, 6 Months and 9 Days
  • 5 topics

Posted 01 June 2012 - 02:47 AM

Which shows there was value in the British approach. ;)

Biggest and best is usually the way to bet, but there's a lot to be said for sneaky, conniving, and underhanded, too! :eek: No-one ever claimed war is a fair game.
In the game industry, they have a saying, old age and treachery beats youth and strength every time!
(We need a devil smiley :D)

I love Swordfish. They look so unlikely. Watching one drone gracefully along at 80 knots, barely overtaking seagulls, it's easy to forget how advanced their weapons and sensors were, or how deadly it made them.

I was board and stooped to reading this thread?

#24 NeoConShooter

NeoConShooter

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,454 posts
  • Joined 5 Years, 6 Months and 9 Days
  • 5 topics

Posted 01 June 2012 - 02:51 AM

In those days they thought speed was better.They were right! The Hellcat had better flioght manners, turned better, had a better cockpit, was WAY better around the carrier, and had identical armament to the Corsair.

Once we were flying jets, they realized that the pistons weren't ever going to compete with the jets in that area and settled down to using the piston fighters by employing their best characteristics.

I'd take a Hellcat any day in a dogfight. It could out-turn the Corsair and the cluimb would favor the Hellcat in F6F-3 versus F4U-1 or -1A and be close or slightly favor the Corsair ibn F6F-5 versus F4U-4 ... but the hellcat would still out-turn the F4U-4.
I'd rather have the P-38L!
I love the Hellcat as a fighter, nit a ground attack plne, though it DID do ground attack quite well. The Corsait was a bit better at ground attack by virtue of having more designed-in bomb rack mounts. The Hellcat could have out-carried the Corsair, but was never fitted for that task.

I like the F-7F for the title of best carrier plane?:rolleyes:

#25 oldbutnotwise

oldbutnotwise

• Regulars
  • PipPipPip
  • 482 posts
  • Joined 5 Years, 5 Months and 7 Days
  • 11 topics

Posted 04 June 2012 - 09:56 PM

F-7F vs a Hornet I know who my money's on

#26 GregP

GregP

Forum Guru

• Forum Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,283 posts
  • 224 topics

Posted 05 June 2012 - 01:40 AM

Hi Drgondog,

I, too, have a copy of the fighter conference proceedings. I am struck by the number of nonresponses they got to their queries on handling properties and fighter operation. Seems a good deal of teh participants simply failed to respond to the questionaires.

I think if you were allowed to fly the fighters, responses should have been required. But ... that, again, is just my opinion. I think the vendors failed to respond a lot of times.

Edited by GregP, 05 June 2012 - 01:48 AM.

#27 Flo

Flo

• Regulars
  • PipPipPip
  • 923 posts
  • Joined 7 Years, 1 Month and 21 Days
  • 46 topics

Posted 05 June 2012 - 11:20 AM

"I think the vendors failed to respond a lot of times"

Checking out the opposition? A nil return would be a safer bet, career wise, than raving about a competitors 'plane, but with a war on it would be deeply unethical, not to mention unpatriotic, to deliberately and unjustifiably slate the competition.
Possible?

#28 GregP

GregP

Forum Guru

• Forum Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,283 posts
  • 224 topics

Posted 05 June 2012 - 03:43 PM

I was thinking along simil.ar lines. If, say, the P-47 got all the votes as "best," then the otehr manufacturers would KNOW their guy voted for the competition. Safer to abstain than to lose your job being honest with a reply ...

#29 Dawncaster

Dawncaster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Joined 29 Days
  • 0 topics

Posted 23 September 2017 - 07:56 PM

I have a question.

for Corsair "The rate of climb was never very good in early models and was overstated in later models."

I can not find that highlighted part in the 'Duels in the Sky' book.

Did he ever fly the F4U-4?

May I ask for detail information?

ps. Eric Brown says he does not have the same experience as many other pilots or authors, such as the good harmony of the controls, light stick force of the elevator with power, and excellent instantaneous maneuverability...

#30 Armand

Armand

About the same age as another old Fokker: The F-27

• Forum Guru
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,657 posts
  • Joined 3 Years, 9 Months and 3 Days
  • 112 topics
  • LocationAbout 20 nm east of BLL

Posted 23 September 2017 - 08:49 PM

The trouble with Eric Brown is that it is simply one man's opinion. It is an exceedingly well-informed opinion, and he did try to take a wide range of extenuating factors into account, but I can't help feeling that if it had been a different man, the conclusions would be slightly different. Still, it is unlikely that the Sea Gladiator would get best naval fighter... ;)

And yet he draws in others perception (though to be questioned)!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users