• Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Steam Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Photo
- - - - -

Model Pics

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#11 TheArtOfFlight

TheArtOfFlight

Advanced Member

• Regulars
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts
  • Joined 9 Months and 22 Days
  • 5 topics
  • LocationUK

Posted 30 December 2016 - 11:02 AM

1997-14.jpg1997-7.jpg1997-6.jpgAfter starting rather late in life when it comes to model aircraft i honed my skills/practice on 1:48 scale. But after hours and hours of dedicated commitment i came to the conclusion i was ready for the next step. Actually i was a little disappointed at some of the kits lack of detail and being a stickler for detail i decided to put the 1:48s into storage and start on the 1:32 scale. With time hopefully leading to 1:24 scale even though the higher scales i have noticed are a little limited especially in 1:24.

But anyway, here's my first build (1:32) Trumpeter 1/32 P - 38J The bazooka rockets were borrowed from a P-47 spare box my friend was kind enough to give me. But the rest is mostly out of the box build. I went a little different with the paint scheme as plain silver just (i thought) would not stand out that much to all other P - 38 builds. I have to say it's a good kit, i had no major issues and it was completed over a period of about 140hrs on and off as time permitted. 

• Ricky and flying kiwi like this

#12 Armand

Armand

About the same age as another old Fokker: The F-27

• Forum Guru
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,652 posts
  • Joined 3 Years, 8 Months and 30 Days
  • 111 topics
  • LocationAbout 20 nm east of BLL

Posted 30 December 2016 - 12:18 PM

1997-14.jpg1997-7.jpg1997-6.jpgAfter starting rather late in life when it comes to model aircraft i honed my skills/practice on 1:48 scale. But after hours and hours of dedicated commitment i came to the conclusion i was ready for the next step. Actually i was a little disappointed at some of the kits lack of detail and being a stickler for detail i decided to put the 1:48s into storage and start on the 1:32 scale. With time hopefully leading to 1:24 scale even though the higher scales i have noticed are a little limited especially in 1:24.

But anyway, here's my first build (1:32) Trumpeter 1/32 P - 38J The bazooka rockets were borrowed from a P-47 spare box my friend was kind enough to give me. But the rest is mostly out of the box build. I went a little different with the paint scheme as plain silver just (i thought) would not stand out that much to all other P - 38 builds. I have to say it's a good kit, i had no major issues and it was completed over a period of about 140hrs on and off as time permitted.

Nice!
A minor detail: the round patches on inner side of the engines was areas of polished aluminium - For mirror function abeling the pilot to check the position of the front gear visually!

Edited by Armand, 31 December 2016 - 01:32 PM.

#13 TheArtOfFlight

TheArtOfFlight

Advanced Member

• Regulars
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts
  • 5 topics
  • LocationUK

Posted 30 December 2016 - 03:21 PM

Nice!
A minor detail: the round patches on inner side of the enliges was areas of polished aluminium - For mirror function abeling the pilot to check the position of the front gear visually!

You are quite right sir. This (P-38) is not an aircraft i am all that familiar with but i thought i would take a step outside of my comfort zone. Plus believe it or not this is the first P-38 i have built in any scale. I do have a couple of minor adjustments to make but im quite happy with the overall end result. Im a big fan of Hasegawa/Eduard/Tamiya/Dragon. But again thought i would experiment. Not all that keen on Revell (detail is always poor) And Airfix i just find plain awful tbh. But i dont hate any of them and it's just a spare time hobby.

Thank you for your comment sir.

#14 Ricky

Ricky

• Moderators
  • 2,981 posts
  • Joined 14 Years, 8 Months
  • 138 topics

Posted 30 December 2016 - 05:02 PM

Wow!

I haven't modelled in years (never was as good as you). I tend to like Airfix, for the challenge ;)
  • TheArtOfFlight likes this

#15 Kutscha

Kutscha

Forum Guru

• Forum Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,581 posts
  • Joined 12 Years, 9 Months and 17 Days
  • 117 topics

Posted 30 December 2016 - 08:09 PM

Very nice P-38.

Like Ricky it has been years, many still in boxes and a Fw190A-8, a Ta152H and a George half finished.I like to paint them as freshly delivered to the unit.

Ricky, where did Flo go?

• CORSNING and TheArtOfFlight like this

#16 Ricky

Ricky

• Moderators
  • 2,981 posts
  • Joined 14 Years, 8 Months
  • 138 topics

Posted 30 December 2016 - 09:00 PM

I ask the same question. I miss our naval scot

#17 Armand

Armand

About the same age as another old Fokker: The F-27

• Forum Guru
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,652 posts
  • Joined 3 Years, 8 Months and 30 Days
  • 111 topics
  • LocationAbout 20 nm east of BLL

Posted 30 December 2016 - 10:02 PM

I thought I'd start a topic on this, as a few of us in here are (or have been) modellers.

Right about that, however I dont think I'll start up with that again.
If, it would be one of these 110" for shear decoration on the living room wall.
http://www.bigplanes...tuig-plane.html

#18 TheArtOfFlight

TheArtOfFlight

Advanced Member

• Regulars
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts
  • 5 topics
  • LocationUK

Posted 31 December 2016 - 01:06 PM

Hasegawa 1/32 Spitfire Mk lX. In the markings of George "Buzz" Buerling. A ww2 Canadian Ace also known as "The Falcon Of Malta" bestowed on him by the islands civilians. Buerling prefered to fly solo patrolling the skies over Malta during some of worst fighting for the island. A complete loner and very eccentric. Buerling was misunderstood by most of his squadron pilots and a nightmare for top brass. Also known as "Screwball" Buerling, despite his character he went on to down 27 enemy aircraft in just 14 days. An expert marksman in deflection shooting Buerling's short life story is well worth looking up for anyone not familiar with this not so well known ace. Buerling served throughout the war from 1940 - 1944. He was sadly killed in 1948 test flying a P-51 for the Israel airforce. It should be noted this is the aircraft Buzz flew late in 1944 and not the Spitfire Vc he flew during the siege of Malta.2195-6.jpg2195-5.jpg2195-2.jpg

#19 Kutscha

Kutscha

Forum Guru

• Forum Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,581 posts
  • Joined 12 Years, 9 Months and 17 Days
  • 117 topics

Posted 31 December 2016 - 02:28 PM

Beurling fatally crashed his Noorduyn Norseman transport aircraft while landing at Aeroporto dell'Urbe in Rome.

#20 TheArtOfFlight

TheArtOfFlight

Advanced Member

• Regulars
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts
  • 5 topics
  • LocationUK

Posted 31 December 2016 - 03:14 PM

Beurling fatally crashed his Noorduyn Norseman transport aircraft while landing at Aeroporto dell'Urbe in Rome.

Thanks. My memory on the event is a little patchy its been so long since i researched it. And i probs might have read a false account of what actually happened. I find the a lot, especially with info online. Wasn't there something a little suspicious though? I know he was disliked/made a few enemies in his time. But i will bow to your knowledge on this one. And im sure he did either apply or was about to be excepted into a foreign airforce  just before his death. Im sure it was the Israeli airforce

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users