• Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Steam Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Photo
- - - - -

Not so well known Red jets in Korea

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#21 Armand

Armand

About the same age as another old Fokker: The F-27

• Forum Guru
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,652 posts
  • Joined 3 Years, 8 Months and 30 Days
  • 111 topics
  • LocationAbout 20 nm east of BLL

Posted 24 March 2016 - 09:40 PM

I'm undecided. The La-15 and MiG-15 were almost identical, except that one had a mod-wing and one a shoulder-wing. Given the number of mis-identifications we know happen in aerial combat (for example in another topic we learned how USN aviators mistook Zeros for Me-109s) I can well believe that pilots thought they saw something that wasn't.

Regardless of what whoever might have written on the web:
USN pilots was probably not teached enough about Messerschmitt 109 to mistake any plane in the Pacific for a 109 and especially not the radial engined Zero.
After a very short time Pacific USN pilots didn't know about much more than the Zero and the confusion must have been around the introduction of the Kawasaki KI-61, wich in fact used german V-12 engines and could resembles a 109 in the hurry :-|

Edited by Armand, 25 March 2016 - 02:30 PM.

#22 GregP

GregP

Forum Guru

• Forum Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,281 posts
  • Joined 14 Years, 1 Month and 17 Days
  • 224 topics

Posted 11 November 2016 - 11:14 AM

The Japanese V-12 was a "copy" of the DB V-12, not a German engine. They forgot to drill one oil galley going from the engine to the nose case (return line), and they never DID run more than several or some tens of hours brefore the prop nosecase failed.

When I worked for Joe Yancey, we didn't work on an Atsuta, but we DID have one former WWII pilot come in and say he had fown one Post-WWII and was also a mecanic. When it failed, and he force-landed, he did what nobody else did, disassemble it and look. I have no real proof of same, just his 1st-person observation.

But it jives with the Japanese experience with the liquid-cooled V-12 perfectly. Their guys were all trained all radials.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users