• Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Steam Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Photo
- - - - -

Best carrier fighter of the War?

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

Poll: What was the best carrier fighter of WW2 (20 member(s) have cast votes)

What was the best carrier fighter of WW2

1. F4U Corsair (US variants) (6 votes [28.57%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 28.57%

2. Mk IV Corsair (RN variant) (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

3. F4F Wildcat (0 votes [0.00%])

4. F6F Hellcat (14 votes [66.67%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 66.67%

5. Seafire (0 votes [0.00%])

6. Tempest (1 votes [4.76%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 4.76%

7. P-51 Mustang (0 votes [0.00%])

8. P-38 Lightning (0 votes [0.00%])

9. Me 109T (0 votes [0.00%])

10. Me 155 (0 votes [0.00%])

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 [email protected]

[email protected]

Advanced Member

• Regulars
  • PipPipPip
  • 309 posts
  • Joined 2 Years and 30 Days
  • 18 topics
  • LocationTyne and Wear, United Kingdom

Posted 29 May 2015 - 01:48 PM

Hi,I think for me it has to be the F4U Vought Corsair,and then the F6F.and also the F4F.,as a second choice.
Kind regards keith.

#22 [email protected]

[email protected]

Advanced Member

• Regulars
  • PipPipPip
  • 309 posts
  • 18 topics

Posted 31 May 2015 - 04:49 PM

Hi, the F6F,was ideally suited to combatting the Zero, although larger than its adversary,it hand an excellent rate of climb and could keep pace with the Zero in any dogfight.With its 50 Calibre guns ,armour plating around the cockpit and engine made it a deadly apponent against the zero.The Zero however ,much lighter ,it fuel tanks made from thin aluminium,once hit by the hellcats 50Calibre shells would ignite immediately, the Zero only had armour plating behind the pilot, no protection either side of the pilot,making the the pilot vulnerable .Its armament however ,two 20mm cannon positioned in the wings, and machine guns fiing through the propeller,the pilot had the option of firing all guns together,or wing cannons.The F6F excelled its self like the corsair in the Pacific theatre,The F6FHellcat scored highly in the conflict for Wake Island ,the Japanese Zero suffered losses to the Hellcat which destroyed as many Zeros in the air as it did on the ground at the airfield based on wake island,with the loss of only 8 Hellcats ,shot down mainly by anti aircraft fire.The Hellcat was also fitted with rubber self sealing fuel tanks ,and therefore could take a lot more punishment.
Hope it's of some help.thanks for listening.
Kind regards.Keith.

#23 CORSNING

CORSNING

Forum Guru

• Forum Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,526 posts
  • Joined 3 Years, 11 Months and 6 Days
  • 179 topics
  • LocationClyde, Ohio, USA

Posted 31 May 2015 - 05:32 PM

Hi, the F6F,was ideally suited to combatting the Zero, although larger than its adversary,it hand an excellent rate of climb and could keep pace with the Zero in any dogfight. (quote]

Keith,
Actually it had a mediocre to good rate of climb. It used its speed in a shallow climb to gain distance not altitude on the A6M. AND, IF the Hellcat pilot decided to drop his speed under 250 mph in order to try to outturn the Zero, he would be in for a rude awakening. One of (and possibly THE) the Hellcats main advantage over the Zero was speed. Over 250 mph it could roll into a turn faster and stay ahead of the A6M for the first 1/4 of a turn.

Jeff

#24 CORSNING

CORSNING

Forum Guru

• Forum Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,526 posts
  • 179 topics

Posted 31 May 2015 - 06:21 PM

Best Carrier Fighter of the War?

This is how I see it (the condensed version):

1 September 1939: Sea Gladiator

8 December 1939: F2A-1

August 1940: A6M2 model 11

December 1940: F4F-3

Mid-1941: It becomes a tie. Or a choice of preference. Performance-wise the A6M2 model 21. Ruggedness and firepower: F4F-3.

September 1942: A6M3 model 32 (with the F4F-3 being a very close 2nd).

16 January 1943: F6F-3

Note: April 1943 the Seafire III entered service and perhaps shared the title with the F6F-3 for the next 12 months. The Seafire III had sparkling performance down low but the F6F-3 was the more rugged shipboard A/C.

April 1944: F6F-3 with water-alcohol injection. The Hellcat's speed was now close to 410 mph clean at altitude. The early shipboard Corsairs now coming into the Fleet Air Arm speeds were about equal. The Corsairs main advantage: roll rate. Hellcats main advantage: a more docile aircraft.

3 July 1944: F6F-5 for its docile flight and fighter-bomber ability.

3 January 1945: F6F-5 & F4U-1D share the title for the same reasons of April 1944.

May 1945 to V-J day: F4U-4

The last few weeks of the war: F4U-4 shared the title with the F7F-3P.

There, that is how I see it at this time., Jeff B)

Edited by CORSNING, 02 June 2015 - 07:23 PM.

#25 [email protected]

[email protected]

Advanced Member

• Regulars
  • PipPipPip
  • 309 posts
  • 18 topics

Posted 31 May 2015 - 09:11 PM

The F6 F Hellcat,for me,able to combat the Zero, with its main armament of 50"calibre machine guns ,excellent rate of climb with its powerful 2.000 horse power engine,could easily pace the Zero.During the battle of Wake Island,in the Pacific it was here the Hellcat came into its own.The Zero however suffered considerably,the Hellcat claiming high rate of kills ,both in the air and destroying static aircraft on the ground,only 8 hellcats were lost ,mostly to anti aircraft fire from the ground.The Hellcat had armour plating around the cockpit and protecting the engine, self seal rubber coated fuel tanks , however the Zero only had plating behind the pilot,leaving the rest of the plane vunerable,it's fuel tanks made of thin aluminium, we're easily ignited by opposing fire from enemy fighters.The Zeros armament consisted of two 20mm cannon in the wings and machine guns firing through the prop.These were hand cocked by the pilot In the cockpit whilst in flight.It has to be the Hellcat for me.
All the best Keith.

#26 [email protected]

[email protected]

Advanced Member

• Regulars
  • PipPipPip
  • 309 posts
  • 18 topics

Posted 31 May 2015 - 09:17 PM

The F6 F Hellcat,for me,able to combat the Zero, with its main armament of 50"calibre machine guns ,excellent rate of climb with its powerful 2.000 horse power engine,could easily pace the Zero.During the battle of Wake Island,in the Pacific it was here the Hellcat came into its own.The Zero however suffered considerably,the Hellcat claiming high rate of kills ,both in the air and destroying static aircraft on the ground,only 8 hellcats were lost ,mostly to anti aircraft fire from the ground.The Hellcat had armour plating around the cockpit and protecting the engine, self seal rubber coated fuel tanks , however the Zero only had plating behind the pilot,leaving the rest of the plane vunerable,it's fuel tanks made of thin aluminium, we're easily ignited by opposing fire from enemy fighters.The Zeros armament consisted of two 20mm cannon in the wings and machine guns firing through the prop.These were hand cocked by the pilot In the cockpit whilst in flight.It has to be the Hellcat for me.
All the best Keith.
thanks Jeff for letting me regarding the hellcat,much appreciated ,it shall be noted.once again many thanks.regards Keith.

#27 Ricky

Ricky

• Moderators
  • 2,967 posts
  • Joined 14 Years, 4 Months and 8 Days
  • 138 topics

Posted 01 June 2015 - 08:15 AM

Jeff, love the list!

What about pre-August '40? There had been a year of war up until that point, though I guess that the choice of carrier fighter is between the Gladiator and the Skua

And have you no love for the Seafire? ;)

#28 CORSNING

CORSNING

Forum Guru

• Forum Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,526 posts
  • 179 topics

Posted 01 June 2015 - 08:20 PM

Thank you Ricky.

What about pre-August '40? I am presently researching this. I have put information together on the Gladiator and Buffalo. Skua?...I don't quite think so. Roc?...NO!

And have you no love for the Seafire?...You definitely have me researching at this time.

http://www.armouredc...afire-variants/

OK, I added the Seafire III in April 1943.

Jeff

Edited by CORSNING, 01 June 2015 - 08:30 PM.

#29 CORSNING

CORSNING

Forum Guru

• Forum Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,526 posts
  • 179 topics

Posted 02 June 2015 - 07:24 PM

I updated Post #24 to include all of WW2.

Jeff

#30 ickysdad

ickysdad

• Regulars
  • PipPipPip
  • 885 posts
  • Joined 14 Years and 9 Days
  • 40 topics

Posted 03 June 2015 - 08:40 AM

I think the F6F-5 could climb at like 3600 FPM on WEP, not great but certainly not shabby.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users