• Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Steam Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Photo
- - - - -

Spitfire or Messerschmitt?

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

Poll: Spitfire or Messerschmitt? You be the judge (19 member(s) have cast votes)

Spitfire or Messerschmitt? You be the judge

1. Spitfire! (14 votes [70.00%])

Percentage of vote: 70.00%

2. Messerschmitt! (4 votes [20.00%])

Percentage of vote: 20.00%

3. Caudron-Renault! (2 votes [10.00%])

Percentage of vote: 10.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 Prestonater2

Prestonater2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • Joined 2 Years, 1 Month and 5 Days
  • 0 topics
  • LocationWashington,tyne and wear,United kingdom

Posted 28 May 2015 - 10:36 AM

Hi guys,just like to add another point which may be of interest, the cockpit of the 109, the square canopy.The pilot apparently had blind spots either side behind him.Because of the armoured plated seat and head rest ,it restricted his view to spot enemy fighters behind him. He would literally have to turn his shoulders to observe behind him,left or right,where as the Spifire had a longer canopy, giving the pilot a better view from his seated position.Another point for the Spifire .

#22 Armand

Armand

About the same age as another old Fokker: The F-27

• Forum Guru
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,568 posts
  • Joined 3 Years, 5 Months and 7 Days
  • 107 topics
  • LocationAbout 20 nm east of BLL

Posted 28 May 2015 - 10:22 PM

It's far too subtle to be seen with the naked eye, so I've added (part of) a Supermarine drawing...[/url]

But - This wheel- tilt is the opposite direction of the splaying ME109 undercarriage!

#23 Edgar Brooks

Edgar Brooks

• Regulars
  • PipPipPip
  • 589 posts
  • Joined 5 Years, 7 Months and 18 Days
  • 0 topics

Posted 28 May 2015 - 10:31 PM

It's the starboard leg I'm talking about, not the wheel.

#24 [email protected]

[email protected]

Advanced Member

• Regulars
  • PipPipPip
  • 309 posts
  • Joined 2 Years and 30 Days
  • 18 topics
  • LocationTyne and Wear, United Kingdom

Posted 29 May 2015 - 02:03 PM

For me ,it's got to be the Spitfire,the elliptical wings, giving the Spit greater manouverability,able to perform tighter turns,only draw back it had a carburettor,the ME109 had fuel injection and had the advantage to perform strait dives, the Spit Had to Barrel role or the merlin would splutter because the carb would be starved of fuel.Dont get me wrong the Me109 was a good fighter with exceptional armament and larger gauge ammo shells,but unfortunately regarding combat issues I think the Spit Had the Edge.
Kind regards Keith

#25 Armand

Armand

• Forum Guru
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,568 posts
  • 107 topics

Posted 29 May 2015 - 11:40 PM

It's the starboard leg I'm talking about, not the wheel.

As I've argued recently: It's the wheel that touches the ground, not the leg or suspension, hence it's the angles of the wheel thats essential!
I write angles in plural as the 'steering-angle' AKA Toe-in or Toe-out is in game too!

#26 Edgar Brooks

Edgar Brooks

• Regulars
  • PipPipPip
  • 589 posts
  • 0 topics

Posted 30 May 2015 - 04:34 AM

As I've argued recently: It's the wheel that touches the ground, not the leg or suspension, hence it's the angles of the wheel thats essential!
I write angles in plural as the 'steering-angle' AKA Toe-in or Toe-out is in game too!

You wrote :-
"The Spit's legs are vertical and the ones on the 109 'spread out'!"
and I said they were not. Until now, you made no mention of the wheels, so neither did I.
  • [email protected] likes this

#27 Armand

Armand

• Forum Guru
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,568 posts
  • 107 topics

Posted 30 May 2015 - 11:20 AM

Edgar: Though related to the F4F in post #16 It's a universal fact that it's the geometri of the wheel wich will make trouble at the moment it touches ground. Even the remarkable splaying of the ME109 -legs could have been countered with wheel-axles in level with the ground instead of in right angle with the leg.
Additional is the ME's legs rather more tilted forward than the Spit's, wich causes some difference too!
In the between war -period was every third motorbike sold worldwide a German DKW - IMO should Willy Messeschmitt have consulted the engineers at DKW around the effects of the geometry of the front wheel on motorcycles and used the experience on the 109-wheels :-/

#28 Edgar Brooks

Edgar Brooks

• Regulars
  • PipPipPip
  • 589 posts
  • 0 topics

Posted 30 May 2015 - 07:04 PM

Even the remarkable splaying of the ME109 -legs could have been countered with wheel-axles in level with the ground instead of in right angle with the leg.

No it couldn't, because the wheels would have entered the wheel wells at an impossible angle, which could only have been countered by having the wheels start closer together like the Spitfire.

Additional is the ME's legs rather more tilted forward than the Spit's, wich causes some difference too!

And that was something that Supermarine discovered, when they raked the legs/wheels forward 2" (just under 6cm) on the Vc and subsequent Marks; to get the wheels to fit in, they had to allow the legs to droop slightly, and fit newly-curved oleo covers.

Edited by Edgar Brooks, 30 May 2015 - 07:21 PM.

#29 [email protected]

[email protected]

Advanced Member

• Regulars
  • PipPipPip
  • 309 posts
  • Joined 2 Years and 30 Days
  • 18 topics
  • LocationTyne and Wear, United Kingdom

Posted 14 July 2015 - 08:45 PM

The ME109,went threw many modifications throughout WW2,mainly the fuel injection engine,although deemed to be slightly slower than the Spitfire ,it was still a formidable fighter ,the Spitfire however in my opinion was the better fighter,the Spit had Hispano cannons fitted each firing around 120 rounds each I think.it also had 2 . 303 Browning guns each positioned next to the cannon.the elliptical wing was clipped for carrier service ,and later saw the introduction of the 4bladed prop increasing its power and rate of climb.So for me it's the Spit.
Regards Keith .

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users