• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Steam Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Photo
- - - - -

"Bats out of Hell" B25 Mitchell

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 Che_Guevara

Che_Guevara

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 358 posts
  • Joined 9 Years, 6 Months and 28 Days
  • 47 topics

Posted 24 July 2005 - 07:29 PM

hey all,

499 Sqd "Bats out of Hell" B25 Mitchell 41-12442

I´ve read that she sunk a more or less large japenese ship during the Battle of the Bismarck sea. Does anyone know which ship?

here are some pics of her

Posted Image

Posted Image

edit
*Found that pic just a minute ago.
Posted Image

quote:On 6 April 1945, 499th Bomb Squadron, 345th Bomb Group pilot Lieutenant Francis Thompson dove his bat-nosed North American B-25J Mitchell toward an IJN Kaiboken-class frigate.

So she sunk another ship, I guess.

Did also someone know, which was the most successful B 25 (in sinking ships) in WW2 ?*

Viva la Cuba libré ;) ,
Che.

Facebook Comments

#2 BuzzLightyear

BuzzLightyear

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 222 posts
  • Joined 10 Years, 10 Months and 21 Days
  • 12 topics

Posted 24 July 2005 - 07:53 PM

There is an amazing book available that details this Squadron, among other B-25 uniuts, in thew southwest Pacific. It's called "Warpath Across the Pacific" and it contain simply some of the best combat photo ever taken during the war.

It's sort of expensive, $75 USD +, but worth every penny:

Posted Image

Some photos:
Posted Image
The end of a gun crew.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Maybe the single most exciting picture of WWII. Very rare to see combatants from both sides in the same picture. You can actually see crewman scurying for cover on deck as the bomb falls towards the ship.
Posted Image

#3 Double T

Double T

• Regulars
  • PipPipPip
  • 572 posts
  • Joined 9 Years, 5 Months and 19 Days
  • 82 topics

Posted 24 July 2005 - 11:03 PM

Great photos guys.
Have to admire the crews of those B-25's. They got RIGHT-DOWN on the deck, and pioneered skip-bombing and ground/sea strafing. I've read stories of planes coming back with palm-tree-fronds stuffed into their air-intakes.
They improvised some great techniques that cost the Japanese dearly.
Some of the best 'nose-art' of the war too.

Tim

#4 Che_Guevara

Che_Guevara

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 358 posts
  • 47 topics

Posted 24 July 2005 - 11:51 PM

Yep Buzz the pix are really good, respect ;)

Cheers,
Che.

#5 Che_Guevara

Che_Guevara

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 358 posts
  • 47 topics

Posted 25 July 2005 - 08:51 PM

Found that, while surfing in the i-net^^.

Posted Image

Seems to be a very succesful B-25, does someone know the story of the "Pacific Prowler"?

Regrds,
Che.

#6 Trexx

Trexx

Forum Guru

• Forum Guru
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,188 posts
  • Joined 9 Years, 5 Months and 25 Days
  • 62 topics

Posted 26 July 2005 - 07:41 AM

Skip Bombing
Parafrag
Gun Platform for Ground Attack Assault...

The B-25s mentioned here were the first with the afore mentioned improvised combat techniques and field modifications.

I've read accounts that they'd fly up to ten abrest skimming the breakers at landfall with cannons blazing, parafrags dropping... jinking around and over palm trees... Truly a spectical to induce SHOCK AND AWE...
B-25s are a brutish looking plane even without the cannons in place of a bombadier.

#7 cambike

cambike

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Joined 9 Years, 2 Months and 20 Days
  • 0 topics

Posted 01 August 2005 - 10:36 AM

A number of photographs posted on the subject line above were illegally lifted WITHOUT CREDIT from the Air Apache homepage and the site of International Research and Publishing.
Further use of these photographs and images will result in fines or other penalties against the violators.
Sincerely yours,
Mark Forman Productions, Corp.

#8 Che_Guevara

Che_Guevara

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 358 posts
  • 47 topics

Posted 01 August 2005 - 06:30 PM

*Du kannst mich/uns mal kreuzweise.[:P] *

Regards,
Che.

#9 Romantic Technofreak

Romantic Technofreak

GOT Custodian

• Forum Guru
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,556 posts
  • Joined 10 Years, 11 Months and 14 Days
  • 256 topics

Posted 02 August 2005 - 12:48 AM

Dear Mr. Forman,

or whoever you are, cambike. I am already waiting for the longest time that somebody minds our picture posting habits here. To your claim, anything in this thread is "lifted" illegally, I shall tell you the following. It is my opinion about the subject and I don´t know if this holds during a check before a justice court, but I am sure that every judge commited with this case will carefully listen to my arguments:

1. You mention two websites:

http://www.irandpcorp.com

and

http://www.markforma...pacificwar.html, obviously yours

Both sites have copyright remarks, but no quoting interdiction!

2. Even if they had a quoting interdiction, this is not enough. If it is possible to set a link on the picture, or to download it, the "owner" has to tolerate people doing this. Otherwise he did not protect his property well!

3. If somebody says "copyright", it is still not clear if he is the true owner. There is no copyright in a digitalized copy if the original paper photograph still exists, and the copyright of the digitalization is always in the hands of the holder of the paper original (other materials like film plastic as well). We don´t know if you have the copyright on any of these pictures.

4. If somebody claims a violation of his rights, he must tell which right is violated. If you claim a financial damage by somebody linked on your picture, you must tell how high the damage is, what should be very difficult if just a simple linking happened. It is also necessary that you follow the goal to earn money with your website.
If you don´t do that and claim an ideal damage, you must tell in what the substance of this damage consists. Also very hard to do if not the following No. 5 is true.

5. If you claim a link on a picture was made without giving credit to the original source, this can esily be healed by unveiling the original source. In the case here, our friend Buzz used the original pictures from irandpcorp.com, easily to be seen in the characteristics of the picture. Maybe he should have pointed on the website too, but anyway, his efforts for to do advertising for this book is remarkable. And if you meant the link on the irandpcorp.com website is missing, I made it up above for him, so everybody who likes to buy the book can do it right now.
From your website, I don´t see a single picture quoted here that is not already included in irandpcorp.com.

6. This is an international forum here. It is absolutely unclear which justice system of which state has jurisdiction about those cases. I don´t tell you nothing new when I say that any international prosecution is very costly and takes a lot of time. The justice courts have enough to do with serious internet criminality, when they consider to allow cases of "illegal" aircraft picture posting to be negotiated.

7. So, think over what you want to do, and remember:
- Che did not entangle with you at all
- Buzz violated no crediting rules.
If you say this site is sponsored and you want to share a bit of Taglia´s receipts, you must make clear how big "your" contribution is to this website (in fact, it´s minimal). If you want to sue for stop of linking on your pictures, try your luck. I think we also can offer you to link on other interesting pictures, we don´t need yours.

Sincerely, Romantic Technofreak

#10 Romantic Technofreak

Romantic Technofreak

GOT Custodian

• Forum Guru
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,556 posts
  • 256 topics

Posted 02 August 2005 - 03:03 PM

Especially for Che:

Posted Image

(For our non-German friends: The picture shows (current) opposition leader and chancellor-candidate Angela Merkel. She is ugly and talks ridiculous things, but for a German conservative politician this is not a reason not to become elected...):):D[8D][:p]

#11 Che_Guevara

Che_Guevara

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 358 posts
  • 47 topics

Posted 02 August 2005 - 06:24 PM

The german Margaret Thatcher :D

Just an ugly sight in contrast to Maggie ;)

Regards,
Che.

#12 Lightning

Lightning

Forum Guru

• Forum Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,723 posts
  • Joined 10 Years, 9 Months and 6 Days
  • 44 topics

Posted 02 August 2005 - 08:08 PM

Hi Romantic Technofreak,

You never cease to amaze me! I salute you!

Regards,
Lightning

#13 Romantic Technofreak

Romantic Technofreak

GOT Custodian

• Forum Guru
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,556 posts
  • 256 topics

Posted 02 August 2005 - 08:13 PM

Hi Lightning,

* returns salute *

Cheers, RT

#14 Che_Guevara

Che_Guevara

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 358 posts
  • 47 topics

Posted 02 August 2005 - 10:38 PM

Te salute, Don Corleone ;)

RT, is the new godfather of this forum. You get this title if you support another member, in an extraordinary way. Eh, how sounds that? [8D]

Regards,
Che.

#15 Romantic Technofreak

Romantic Technofreak

GOT Custodian

• Forum Guru
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,556 posts
  • 256 topics

Posted 03 August 2005 - 01:06 AM

I think it´s time to post a portrait of myself:

Posted Image

You know, if you want me to do something for you, you also must do something for me, if I need you?![8D][8D][8D]

And it´s strictly business!!!

Regards, RT

#16 Trexx

Trexx

Forum Guru

• Forum Guru
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,188 posts
  • 62 topics

Posted 03 August 2005 - 02:32 AM

...told 'em. And good.

#17 cambike

cambike

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Joined 9 Years, 2 Months and 20 Days
  • 0 topics

Posted 03 August 2005 - 05:31 AM

Yea, you told a son of a veteran of the Air Apaches (The 345thBG). who you think you are honoring by showing images that were produced under duress and then shown without credit to the historians who preserved these images in the first place.
Real smart and like all who take without regard for others really dumb.
If you really care about others then you would make a contribution to one of these veterans or veteran groups or maybe even work with a museum to preserve this history in a worthwhile way.
These images, after all are not awesome. They are tragic and should only be seen as that.
To someone who sees these images otherwise, they are the ones who need help.

#18 Che_Guevara

Che_Guevara

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 358 posts
  • 47 topics

Posted 03 August 2005 - 06:17 AM

quote:If you really care about others then you would make a contribution to one of these veterans or veteran groups

Unfortunately there are no american veterans or veteran groups in germany. [:P]

Or should I spend sth. for german veterans of the Wehrmacht?

quote:These images, after all are not awesome. They are tragic and should only be seen as that.

Yeah, I agree with that.

Regards,
Che.

#19 BuzzLightyear

BuzzLightyear

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 222 posts
  • Joined 10 Years, 10 Months and 21 Days
  • 12 topics

Posted 03 August 2005 - 07:19 AM

quote:Originally posted by cambike

Yea, you told a son of a veteran of the Air Apaches (The 345thBG). who you think you are honoring by showing images that were produced under duress and then shown without credit to the historians who preserved these images in the first place.
Real smart and like all who take without regard for others really dumb.
If you really care about others then you would make a contribution to one of these veterans or veteran groups or maybe even work with a museum to preserve this history in a worthwhile way.
These images, after all are not awesome. They are tragic and should only be seen as that.
To someone who sees these images otherwise, they are the ones who need help.

Nevermind a I gave a plug for the book, in addition to owning it myself.

If you are, indeed, who you say you are, you ought to learn to write properly. I've read the above mentioned book, and can only surmise you didn't edit it.

#20 Trexx

Trexx

Forum Guru

• Forum Guru
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,188 posts
  • 62 topics

Posted 03 August 2005 - 08:49 AM

Lock me up. The much over used adjective "AWESOME" is appropriate for those shots. Put that in your pipe and smoke it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

AVIATION TOP 100 - www.avitop.com Avitop.com