• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Steam Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Photo
- - - - -

USAAF Victory Credits List for WWII

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 GregP

GregP

Forum Guru

• Forum Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,510 posts
  • Joined 11 Years, 3 Months and 19 Days
  • 196 topics

Posted 26 April 2013 - 02:43 AM

There are a few files available out on the web in PDF format that have the complete USAAF victory award list, but the files have PDF restrictions and/or passwords on them so you can’t copy the data. I have had a copy of one file for a couple of years and it finally occurred to me several days ago to try a crack utility to attempt to lift the restrictions on the PDF file, at least so you can copy the data to another application.

Lo and behold, it worked. So … I copied the data into Word and proceeded to do some copy-and-replace in order to insert a decent field separator, and I got the entire list into Microsoft Excel. About an hour ago I finihsed the process of making sure it is consistent with the original  document.

It has name, rank, unit, echelon, service number, date, theater of operations, and credits awarded. They are missing about 35 service numbers and a few odd dates, but it is otherwise complete. Only one name is "unknown" from over 13,000 records. Unfortunately, the aircraft type the pilot was flying and the aircraft type(s) of the victim(s) are not included ... just credits. So, you can see, for instance, that the guy was in the 328th Fighter Squadron, in the ETO, on a particular date, and got some number of credits for that date … but you don’t know what he was flying or what he shot down. The Theaters are broken out as ETO, MTO, Southwest Pacific, Central Pacific, CBI, Alaska, and Iceland.

Using these data, if someone happens to know when certain units flew what type of aircraft, it should be possible to reconstruct the probable aircraft … give or take a few errors during a type transition, such as going from P-38’s to P-51’s. However, the errors should be relatively small compared with the overall list since all but a handful of the dates are shown (missing 12 dates from over 13,000 records). We could even list the aircraft as “Probable A/C” to show it is an assumption and not a matter of record.

The file has 13,321 individual records that account for 15,868.27 victories for USAAF service in WW2. The file is 792 kb in size and I think I would like to upload it if that is allowed.  It says I can't upload a file of the type .xlsx

Can I upload a .xls file?

• Paolo Tagliaferri likes this

Facebook Comments

#2 Paolo Tagliaferri

Paolo Tagliaferri

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 439 posts
  • Joined 13 Years, 4 Months and 26 Days
  • 112 topics
  • LocationLondon, UK

Posted 26 April 2013 - 06:06 AM

Hi Greg,

xsl files are disallowed by default as they can contain dangerous macros. I can enable it for this, but from your post it is unclear if you have the permission from the original authors of the lists to have copied and re-arranged the original PDF into a spreadsheet that can be then shared publicly on the web.

Have you been granted permission to do so from the original authors? I need to be clear on this before allowing any upload here.

Thanks,

Paolo Tagliaferri

Board Administrator

#3 GregP

GregP

Forum Guru

• Forum Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,510 posts
  • 196 topics

Posted 26 April 2013 - 11:38 PM

Hi Paolo,

The only source of data about credits in the USAAF is the US Air Force. One Air Force Historical Society Page can be seen at http://www.afhra.af..../disclaimer.asp . If you look at Item # 2, you will see the data, consisting of approximately 15,800 awarded victories, are public information and may be distributed or copied. It is not legal to take public information and reformat it and copyright it. So, the summary data for the USAF that I have is considered public domain, and this is the only source for the data. It is not legal to copyright public data in the U.S.A.

The numbered USAF Historical Studies can be accessed at http://www.afhra.af....udies/index.asp. Study 85 is titled “(U) USAF Credits for the Destruction of Enemy Aircraft, World War II, by Wesley P. Newton, Jr., Calvin F. Senning, et al (1978). 685 pages.” These studies have been declassified and are public domain.

If you find the US Navy data, it is also public domain.

Now if I put the German data into Excel, it well might violate some European copyright. I don’t know if German, British, Japanese, etc. records are public domain or not, but the data for US WW2 statistics most definitely is public domain.

Your call. All I intended to put online is USAAF data at this time.

Best regards, - Greg

#4 Paolo Tagliaferri

Paolo Tagliaferri

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 439 posts
  • 112 topics
  • LocationLondon, UK

Posted 27 April 2013 - 07:18 AM

Hi Greg,
Thanks for the clarification, sounds good enough to me. Just give me a couple of days to change that configuration for you (I have limited access right now). I will send you a PM when done.

Cheers,

Paolo Tagliaferri

Board Administrator

#5 GregP

GregP

Forum Guru

• Forum Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,510 posts
  • 196 topics

Posted 27 April 2013 - 07:31 AM

I can't seem to GET to PM's in the new format ... how do I access it?

#6 Paolo Tagliaferri

Paolo Tagliaferri

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 439 posts
  • 112 topics
  • LocationLondon, UK

Posted 27 April 2013 - 08:30 AM

Hi Greg,

I have managed to add it now - give it a try. For the PMs, once you are logged in you should be able to see a black top bar in the browser. On the right there is an envelope icon called "Messenger" that should allow you access to your private messages.Alternatively if you click on soemone's name you will get to their profile and you will be able to send PMs from there.

Let me know if there are still issues around this! I also suggest that you compress the spreadsheet in ZIP or similar format before uploading it.

Thanks,

Paolo

Paolo Tagliaferri

Board Administrator

#7 GregP

GregP

Forum Guru

• Forum Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,510 posts
  • 196 topics

Posted 01 May 2013 - 05:39 PM

Hi Paolo,

OK, I tried. The file, when saved as .xlsx is 805 kb. It would not let me upload a .xlsx file.

So I opened the file and removed all formatting and everythinhg I could, and saved it as a .xls file. Unfortunately, it is then 2,200 kb and is too large to upload.

I you email or PM me your email address, I'll email it to you and you can decide what to do with it.

Best regards, - Greg

#8 Paolo Tagliaferri

Paolo Tagliaferri

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 439 posts
  • 112 topics
  • LocationLondon, UK

Posted 02 May 2013 - 07:44 AM

Hi Greg,

That's because I allowed only XLS as an extension. I have now added XLSX as well. If it still fails, I have sent you my e-mail in a PM.

Many Thanks!

Paolo Tagliaferri

Board Administrator

#9 Paolo Tagliaferri

Paolo Tagliaferri

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 439 posts
  • 112 topics
  • LocationLondon, UK

Posted 02 May 2013 - 06:41 PM

Attaching the spreadsheet that Greg sent across. Thank you a lot!

Attached Files

Paolo Tagliaferri

Board Administrator

#10 GregP

GregP

Forum Guru

• Forum Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,510 posts
  • 196 topics

Posted 02 May 2013 - 08:06 PM

Thatks Paolo.

It is relatively easy in Excel to get a summary page using a pivot table. Then you can sort on victories to get an ordered list from Richard Bong on down.

If anyone has data on what aircraft were flown by the units by date, we might be able to reconstruct some reasonable makeup with a few errors when switching types, like from P-38 to P-51 at some point.

These are supposed to be victory awards, not claims.

I am working on a file of German claims that is over 66,000 lines long, but have NO idea if it is copyrighted in Europe. The German data largely has the victim type, but not the mount of the pilot claiming the victory. Seems like such basic data should be easily seen to be needed when they save the records, doesn't it?

When I get it done, I'll do British victories next. Again, I have no idea if the data are copyrighted. Seems like it shouldn't be since the data are generated by people in public service to their country, buy customs vary.

My aim at present is to have files for the USA, Great Britain, Germany, and Japan. After that I'll probably add Italy if I can find the data.

I'd LOVE to get a list for the Soviet Union but have no idea where to even start looking for the data.

#11 GregP

GregP

Forum Guru

• Forum Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,510 posts
  • 196 topics

Posted 03 May 2013 - 08:15 AM

Anybody want add another country's records?

#12 Paolo Tagliaferri

Paolo Tagliaferri

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 439 posts
  • 112 topics
  • LocationLondon, UK

Posted 05 May 2013 - 09:51 AM

Hi Greg,

I think all the data is welcome, I am not aware of any particular copyright restriction on this - unless it's clearly stated in the sources.

Thanks,

Paolo Tagliaferri

Board Administrator

#13 GregP

GregP

Forum Guru

• Forum Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,510 posts
  • 196 topics

Posted 06 May 2013 - 04:42 AM

Thanks Paolo,

The German claims list is a long project. There are 66,000+ records and I'm down to the last 2,000 or so ... but am not working on it heavily. This week was Chino airshow and the attendant long days and lack of free time.

Hopefully we can get back to it after maybe next week ...

I am not aware of a vetted victory awards list for Gernany, just the claims. If anyone KNOWS of a vetted vclaims list, such information would be welcome indeed!

#14 Ricky

Ricky

• Moderators
  • 2,488 posts
  • Joined 11 Years, 10 Months and 2 Days
  • 124 topics

Posted 06 May 2013 - 07:24 AM

Hey Greg - thanks for sharing!!!

#15 GregP

GregP

Forum Guru

• Forum Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,510 posts
  • 196 topics

Posted 06 May 2013 - 03:38 PM

You are welcome. The file size for the German claims list is almost 4 Mb at this time (over 66,000 claims records). I suppose we'll see, won;t we?

#16 Kutscha

Kutscha

Forum Guru

• Forum Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,074 posts
  • Joined 9 Years, 11 Months and 19 Days
  • 99 topics

Posted 06 May 2013 - 09:53 PM

German claims can be found here, http://lesbutler.co....ms/tonywood.htm

#17 GregP

GregP

Forum Guru

• Forum Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,510 posts
  • 196 topics

Posted 07 May 2013 - 02:21 AM

Thanks Kutscha.

Good luck getting them into Excel.

Please let us know when you do ... you might easily beat my effort.

If you do, I'll stop and use yours.  :-)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

AVIATION TOP 100 - www.avitop.com Avitop.com