• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Steam Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Photo
- - - - -

Home built P-38

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Kutscha

Kutscha

Forum Guru

• Forum Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,050 posts
  • Joined 9 Years, 6 Months and 24 Days
  • 97 topics

Posted 20 November 2009 - 03:39 PM

http://www.oshkosh36...78&topicid=3321

Jim O'Hara is a member of EAA chapter 493 in San Angelo .. He is a retired college professor (I believe in Aeronautical Engineering) who learned to fly when he was about 60 years old. He's now 81 years old. 15 years ago, he began construction of a 2/3 scale P-38. Using information he obtained from various sources about the P-38, he drew up a set of plans using a computer aided design program. Jim and his wife Mitzi built the entire aircraft by themselves. He first flew his plane in July of last year, and has just completed flying off the time (I believe it was 50 hours). He designed the plane to have a small jump seat behind the pilot for his wife. She's tiny, and it's a good thing; the jump seat doesn't have much room. He made his first cross-country with Mitzi from San Angelo to Fredericksburg Saturday, accompanied by many of his friends from Chapter 493.

Facebook Comments

#2 Lightning

Lightning

Forum Guru

• Forum Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,723 posts
  • Joined 10 Years, 6 Months and 10 Days
  • 44 topics

Posted 23 November 2009 - 01:56 PM

This is great news! I remember years ago reading about plans to build a scaled P-38, but then I saw nothing more about it. I had assumed that the idea had been abandoned--probably from lack of funds, from technical difficulties, or from both.

The photos of the plane are just WONDERFUL!!! I can't express in words that are at all adequate my admiration of Mr. O'Hara and his work!

And Mrs. O`Hara deserves a lot of credit too. Think of all the hours and dollars that could have been spent on her instead of on that airplane. Talk about a supportive wife! I've got a wife like that. Too bad I don't have the money or--much more importantly--the God-given talent that Mr. O'Hara has. I'm truly humbled by people of such genious and practical ability.

Edited by Lightning, 11 December 2009 - 04:46 PM.

#3 Kutscha

Kutscha

Forum Guru

• Forum Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,050 posts
  • Joined 9 Years, 6 Months and 24 Days
  • 97 topics

Posted 23 November 2009 - 05:10 PM

Thought you would enjoy. :)

#4 Wuzak

Wuzak

Forum Guru

• Forum Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,711 posts
  • Joined 9 Years, 2 Months and 24 Days
  • 158 topics

Posted 27 November 2009 - 10:55 AM

I have to say that sitting in the back of a P-38 was said to have been very tight - imagine how tight it would be for Mrs O'Hara in the back of the scaled Lightning?

Like you Lightning I am in awe of people who have either the skills or money, or both, to do such things. I have neither.

#5 Trexx

Trexx

Forum Guru

• Forum Guru
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,188 posts
  • Joined 9 Years, 2 Months and 29 Days
  • 62 topics

Posted 17 December 2009 - 11:51 PM

Whoa! Neat-O!

Give that chap some steel wool and he'll probably knit you a Willy's Jeep.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

AVIATION TOP 100 - www.avitop.com Avitop.com