• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Steam Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Photo
- - - - -

Bristol Type 153

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 fw190d11

fw190d11

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts
  • Joined 7 Years, 7 Months and 23 Days
  • 12 topics

Posted 19 April 2007 - 06:58 AM

Any pix anywhere? Ive checked on the board and the one Photobucket link is dead. Heck, ive run Google and found only one "art piece" showing 153's vs Fw190's (a mismatch, I suspect).

Facebook Comments

#2 GregP

GregP

Forum Guru

• Forum Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,510 posts
  • Joined 11 Years, 2 Months and 25 Days
  • 196 topics

Posted 19 April 2007 - 11:48 AM

I have only seen a drawing ... sort of like a Brewster Buffalo with a bubble canopy.

I know, an awful description, but that's what it looks like to me.

Note I do not claim it FLEW like a Buffalo ... :)

#3 PMN1

PMN1

Forum Guru

• Forum Guru
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,194 posts
  • Joined 10 Years, 9 Months and 15 Days
  • 232 topics

Posted 19 April 2007 - 01:55 PM

Bristol Type 153 - Hercules powered low wing fighter based on the 151 to meet Spec F37/35 - (the Whirlwind spec) with 4 cannons, 2 in each wing requiring blisters in the wing - The wing was larger than the Type 151 which would have improved climb and manoeuvrability. Top speed expected to be 357 mph at 12.500 ft with full military load. Service ceiling 33,200 ft. If it had gone into production the Type153 would have benefited from the steady development of the Hercules engine - from 1,150 hp in 1939 to 2,000 hp at the end of the war.

Was the picture from here

http://myspace.virgi...dell/AArt3.html

Given the problems that Secret Projects site seems to be having with Midland Publishers (publishers of Tony Buttler's Secret Projects book), it would be a good idea to be careful about posting scans from their books until we know what the situation is at Secret Projects.

#4 fw190d11

fw190d11

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts
  • Joined 7 Years, 7 Months and 23 Days
  • 12 topics

Posted 20 April 2007 - 06:28 AM

quote:
Was the picture from here

http://myspace.virgi...dell/AArt3.html

Yes, that's it. I was hoping someone had a line drawing or topview plan.

#5 Tony Williams

Tony Williams

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 381 posts
  • Joined 9 Years, 11 Months and 27 Days
  • 5 topics

Posted 20 April 2007 - 01:12 PM

The Beaufighter, you mean [8D]

Tony Williams
Homepage: http://www.quarry.nildram.co.uk

#6 Ricky

Ricky

• Moderators
  • 2,485 posts
  • Joined 11 Years, 9 Months and 8 Days
  • 124 topics

Posted 20 April 2007 - 02:45 PM

quote:Originally posted by Tony Williams

The Beaufighter, you mean [8D]

:DFunnily enough I was reading a book just last week where the author called it that. It was a really good book...

#7 merlin

merlin

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
  • Joined 6 Years, 7 Months and 19 Days
  • 2 topics

Posted 16 April 2008 - 04:08 AM

Bristol aware of the pitfalls of having the cannon in underwing pods, designed an alternative to the same specification. The Type 153A a twin-engined (aquila) seat fighter - similar in layout to Gruman's Skyrocket.
Neither version found favour with the Ministry - whose order for five prototypes from three manufactures was slashed by the Treasury to only Westland.

#8 conrad

conrad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts
  • Joined 7 Years, 8 Months and 11 Days
  • 0 topics

Posted 16 April 2008 - 06:46 AM

quote:Originally posted by merlin

Bristol aware of the pitfalls of having the cannon in underwing pods, designed an alternative to the same specification. The Type 153A a twin-engined (aquila) seat fighter - similar in layout to Gruman's Skyrocket.
Neither version found favour with the Ministry - whose order for five prototypes from three manufactures was slashed by the Treasury to only Westland.

Typical the Treasury wreaking havoc with our fighter defences. I take it this was before the war? Because I read somewhere long ago that when the war actually started the Treasury was sidelined, the Chancellor of the Exchequer even bieng excluded from the inner war cabinet. This was very wise, but too late for the planes featured in this thread.

#9 Pioneer

Pioneer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • Joined 6 Years, 9 Months and 24 Days
  • 2 topics

Posted 19 April 2008 - 10:22 AM

I tell you what
That artist work of the Bristol Type 153 mixing it with the Fw-190’s at http://myspace.virgi...dell/AArt3.html looks like a Mitsubishi Zero in RAF colours – especially with that fuselage-mounted drop tank arrangement

Regards
Pioneer

#10 ChrisMcD

ChrisMcD

• Regulars
  • PipPipPip
  • 840 posts
  • Joined 9 Years, 8 Months and 7 Days
  • 27 topics

Posted 19 April 2008 - 10:56 PM

quote:Originally posted by conrad Because I read somewhere long ago that when the war actually started the Treasury was sidelined, the Chancellor of the Exchequer even bieng excluded from the inner war cabinet.

I will have to look up the reference, but apparently one Civil Servant did help. About 1936 he refused to believe that the RAF's 'the bomber will always get through' mantra and realised that single engined fighters were a lot cheaper than multi engined bombers. So the RAF's expansion plans were rejigged to have a lot more fighters!

#11 Graeme

Graeme

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Joined 7 Years, 5 Months and 22 Days
  • 0 topics

Posted 17 May 2008 - 12:35 PM

quote:Originally posted by fw190d11

Any pix anywhere?

Small image from CH Barne's 'Bristol Aircraft'

Posted Image

#12 merlin

merlin

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
  • Joined 6 Years, 7 Months and 19 Days
  • 2 topics

Posted 17 May 2008 - 04:03 PM

Excellent, illustrates what I said earlier about the similarity of the Type 153A with the 'Skyrocket'. Though I suspect the latter would have been a bigger aircraft.
Mind you, regarding the Type 153 I don't thing it shows well enough the podded nature of the cannon arrangement.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

AVIATION TOP 100 - www.avitop.com Avitop.com